GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting myself a R33 soon, but as I don't do too many miles during the week I'll probably have it as my main mode of transport, plus I don't realy have the space for 2 cars outside my gaff

so anybody out there using a skyline as a daily drive as I'm curious on your thoughts as to running costs etc

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
yes

I use mine everyday and it costs a bomb in reality, dont let anyone tell you otherwise.

Happy to give you some realistic advice.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a running joke with my mate who has a R32 in fairly high state of tune, that if anything breaks it costs a grand.

"whoops, lost a washer. that'll be another grand then" sort of thing.

his is probably a localised case as he has a tendancy to take anything apart that he owns, but is this the case with all skylines.

·
Registered
201 Posts
400 miles in a R33

that's about what i do in mine - mostly M25 and M4 with proper fun at the weekends - I get about 260-280 miles from a tank of optimax. Insurance is c £1800, and services will happen quickly. So it's not a low cost item. Petrol to work will cost me about 3k alone.

However my old Celica GT4(worth about 3k) cost c£800-900 to insure, had the same service intervals(Mr T's time is in no way cheap and neitehr are his parts), gave crappy mpg, and things broke more often due to age. It was also slow (without the Nitrous ;-) ), understeered like a B***ard and was definately not a GTR.

So the question you shold ask is 'cheap compared to what' - you want cheap buy a second hand Dulldeo for 2k, get 40mpg, £400 insurance and £100 services - :p

Cheers

Iain

PS Despite the above it is still value for money in a big way

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Grin factor is definately the reason for wanting one, so even if you said my leg would drop off after 6months of ownership I'd probably still get one.

main reason for the question is to see if it really is a viable option for it to be the only car. e.g mates windscreen broke and it took nearly 2 months to get another.

again how often does a situation like that happen, and the answer is probably probably very rarely.

but if the general concensus is that its just one of those ownership things what happens infrequently then thats good enough for me.

suppose I could practice Skyline fuel consumption by drilling a hole in the fuel tank of my current car :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Big Lad,

I don't find the fuel consumption to be too horrendous with my R33. It's certainly better then the 993 Turbo 4 that I had a couple of weekends ago. Reckon on 250 ish from a cruising tank down to 200 from a town and short trips tank. Bet the Fiat isn't much better! ;)

Servicing is not too bad if you can do oil and filter stuff yourself. I recently changed oil, filter, air filter, plugs and fuel filter for £100. OK, so I did it myself, but that's a £300 squeeze at most places. :D Depends if you have a little mechanical knowledge ( and I mean little. I'm no expert) Just keep all the receipts to prove if/when it's time to sell.

Now the electrical and technical/mechanical side of things I'd leave to the experts, as I'd not want to cause any serious issues. Rates tend to be similar or less that main dealers for cars like you have now.

My car has done nearly 70,000 miles now, and is still going strong. OK, so it is standard, but for me that's the beauty of it. It's only when you start playing with them that it gets really expensive.

Just get one and enjoy it. You won't be disappointed. I'm not, and I'm a fussy b4stard! LOL

Matt

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Seriously think about getting one.

Fuel consumption for me is around 220-250 miles on a full tank with Optimax usually around £40 to fill.

This is with NISMO exhaust, decat, induction kit, etc. Around 350BHP.

And again servicing is not very costly if you can do the easy jobs yourself, i.e. oil change, plugs, etc.

I mean if you get an induction kit, you'll only need to clean and re-oil it every so often.

Get one, you know you want to!!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmm looking pretty positive so far.:)

And as for servicing I just about handle a set of spanners as I've done a fair amount of Mods on my Coupe, so the fuel consumption by the looks of it is very similar to what I'm getting at the moment :cool:

So I guess the next question is where to buy? Did most of you source them from private sales, dealers or go the whole hog and import?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
The best place to start is at middlehursts. The sell 9/10 of the skylines in the UK. They will tell you everything you need to know about skylines, and you'll get an excellent oppurtunity to look over one with a fine toothed-comb.

Where you actually buy one is up to you. UK cars are worth probably at least 10% more than jap imports. They are more or less the same in spec, apart from:

- uk cars have lots of oil coolers as standard.
- uk cars have different front indicators.
- virtually all uk cars have a full, english service history.
- some insurers will be happier at insuring a uk car than a grey import.

Consider private sale over dealer sale. prices as they are at the moment, a nice condition, 1998 low miler uk R33 gtr v-spec will sell for about £23,500 at a dealer, and for about £20,000 private. So that's £3,500 for a warranty. Whether thats worth it or not is up to you.

You can find the majority of skylines for sale, be they grey imports or uk cars, on autotrader, and you can search on the web.

Personally, i'd be very wary importing a car from japan. Whilst it's one thing importing new, importing used is a bit of a risk because you can't check the car out with your own eyes before you part with your cash.

However, there may be some milage in looking at companies that import themselves, such as japvillage.co.uk.

I bought my skyline 2 weeks ago. It cost £20,000. Its a UK GTR R33 V-Spec, 34,000 miles, mint condition, FSH, and a private plate. And it has a tracker fitted (saving me ~£500).

Jon

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Bought my car from Park Lane in Alton, Hampshire. www.parklanenet.com

They only sometimes have Skylines. Just checked y/day and they didn't have any. They deal in imported Japanese/German cars.

Mine was a '98R (so its the facelifted one) R33 V-Spec in metallic blue, with TEINS springs, HKS hard pipe kit, NISMO exhaust, Decatted, induction kit, MOMO steering wheel/gearknob, Xenons, Kenwood stereo and CD changer and it had 23k miles for £19500.

Not bad IMHO.

And the car is MINT with very few scracthes, dents, just mainly front end chips. Interior is totally mint. No kerbed alloys.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
r33 v-spec,

just tried that link but it doesn't seem to work :(

just had a look at that JapVillage.co.uk site, they seem to have a few GTRs although a little older than I'd ideally like, mainly 95s but I'd ideally like a 97-98 GTR.

anybody used them?

oh and thanks for all the info, its solid gold :smokin:

keep it coming folks

·
Registered
520 Posts
Get an earlier model and use the change to buy a nice diesel run about.

I used my Skyline as a daily driver for 1 or 2 months, and then fitted 4 new tyres - £850. I have since purchased a '94 Mondeo to use for travelling to work etc. It cost me less than a set of tyres, I haven't even worked out how much it has saved me in fuel. Not to mention the fact I can actually keep the GTR clean and free from car parking dings now. :D

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
talking of Tyres

anybody used Falken FK451s on thier skyline? I've got some 225/35/18's on my Coupe and I must admit they are great

especially at the price, I managed to get them for about £80 each from this place in Essex.

just as good as Bridgestone SO2/3 and a buckload cheaper.

should do em big enough for the skyline too

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Big Lad said:
talking of Tyres

anybody used Falken FK451s on thier skyline? I've got some 225/35/18's on my Coupe and I must admit they are great

especially at the price, I managed to get them for about £80 each from this place in Essex.

just as good as Bridgestone SO2/3 and a buckload cheaper.

should do em big enough for the skyline too
Andy @ Middlehurst recommended Falkens to me for a set of R34 wheels, said they were just as good everyday as the Bridgestones (paraphrased).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts