GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm sorry that I haven't commented on the threads about the engine problem and the solution programme that have occurred in the last few days. Although I have been discussing this with Nissan, they (quite rightly) wanted to get out a very clear complete message in one go, rather than drip-feed facts and leave questions unanswered.

A full detailed presentation that covers the programme appears at the end of this message. However for those that cannot access this, or who cannot wait, here is a short summary:

- Nissan has identified a problem with crankshaft bearings in the earliest left-hand drive EU cars.

- There are 309 vehicles affected and the owners of each one is being contacted directly.

- These cars will have their complete engines replaced as well as ancillaries such as turbos and even oil cooler.

- This will occur at three locations which are the HPCs in Sweden and Greece for local markets and a new Amsterdam special facility for all mainland Europe.

- The following markets are NOT affected: US, Japan, UK.

Full details of the programme are below. Affected owners will themselves be given more specific information regarding how their cars will be collected etc when they are contacted directly.

Edit: Link deleted as presentation is shown/linked to GTROC in later post.

I think what Nissan have done is to be applauded and I say that as a sceptical owner of many supercars. They have recognised there was a problem and have come up with a Europe-wide way of dealing with it that is way beyond what is required. Many other manufacturers might have chosen to ignore the problems (a la Porsche Rear-Main-Seal issues anyone?) or they could easily have simply replaced the crank and bearings. This is going to cost them many many millions of pounds and I think it shows a great commitment to the product.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
This looks like a very thorough and quality response from Nissan.

Are Cobb supporting the required mass removal of Accessports too :chuckle:

·
Registered
421 Posts
How do you download the .pdf? I can't seem to access it. I've clicked on the link Guy has given, then clicked on "Proceed to file download page", but I can't open the .pdf that seems to be there, nor highlight it, in either Explorer or Firefox. All I get is a maddening song about "why do you have to bother to go to another site just for a comment!!!"

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
Well done Nissan for standing behind their product especially as it seems to be down to environmentalists.

The fact that mods to the engine ( cobb, even turbos etc) do not seem to effect the warranty dispels a lot of the internet warranty myth with this car.

Having seen how my brother was treated regarding RMS on his Porker (basically stitched up)says to me that Nissan are prepared to pay up when things go wrong.

Link is OK for me.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
there's a 'click here to download your file' link on the page which opens after clicking the 'proceed to file download page' link.

Ignore the big arrows for the rubbish toolbar spam etc.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
there's a 'click here to download your file' link on the page which opens after clicking the 'proceed to file download page' link.

Ignore the big arrows for the rubbish toolbar spam etc.
Exactly. It's not a great way to host the file, but all I could do at short notice as I cannot upload a 5 meg file on here. We are working on getting it hosted somewhere better though.

cheers

Guy

·
Registered
203 Posts
Tahnks Ru got it now.
Well done Nissan, most manufacturers would I think have kept quite and just dealt with problem as and when individual owners had problems, great to see them grasp the nettle and sort out all 309 cars affected and so qiuckly (10 Days) my GTR has been away 5 weeks so far just for a soddin key problem. I hope that they see the koudos that they get from dealing with problems in this way is the way to deal with all similar problems in the future. (If any)

·
Registered
421 Posts
My brother's Ferrari 430 needed a 3rd clutch after 9000 miles and he got rid of it in disgust when he was told that this was normal wear and tear for a "car doing high mileage".

What a difference! Well done Nissan...

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Thanks for posting all the info guys, much appreciated.

I do have one big question since my VIN is 100576...

Since manufacturing of the VR38DETT engines takes place in a single small facility, how is it that only LHD vehicles are affected, considering the RHD UK cars were being assembled at the same time, and the UK market is the only one apparently not having this issue? Every other market's cars are affected save for the UK.

It would completely reassure me if Nissan could explain this....

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Since manufacturing of the VR38DETT engines takes place in a single small facility, how is it that only LHD vehicles are affected, considering the RHD UK cars were being assembled at the same time, and the UK market is the only one apparently not having this issue? Every other market's cars are affected save for the UK.
No US or JDM cars made during this time are affected either, so your assumption isn't correct.

Nissan have made it very clear that have tracked down the exact vehicles that were affected and are rectifying them at massive expense. Are you seriously suggesting that they would do that and would deliberately not include some cars they knew were affected?

Their priority is to deal with the large-scale logistics of replacing over 300 engines spread all over Europe. They have been kind enough to give us very clear information to pass onto those who are not affected i.e. the majority of readers here who are UK based. With respect I will not be asking them to justify to you personally why your own personal car has not been affected. Lets just be grateful the UK was not affected and be re-assured by the strength of effort Nissan have made to resolve this, as my sums suggest we are we're talking a £5-10m+ cost for this programme.

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Are you seriously suggesting that they would do that and would deliberately not include some cars they knew were affected?
Feel free Guy to re-read my post and quote exactly where I said there was some sort of conspiracy.....

As an owner of a car within the range of ViNs affected, I have the right for a full explanation of the problem.

That includes a simple explanation as to why UK RHD cars are not affected.

Your statement that JDM and USDM cars are not affected is not pertinent to the problem as they are not subject to EU regulations regarding Lead free metals in the affected bearings, as far as I'm aware.

Clearly the UK is part of the EU, and as such, why would our bearings be different to those placed in other EU cars?

A simple question which I have the right to ask, as my car has a VIN within the range specified.

I made no suggestion of anything. I just need more information to put my mind at ease.

So are you suggesting that I have no right to that information?

I sincerely hope not.

·
Registered
438 Posts
as my sums suggest we are we're talking a £5-10m+ cost for this programme.
Bet you are under quoting there - a massive recall and one that could affect the viability of the whole programme. 300 engines - all major ancillaries - labour - lots of wonga.

Appreciate the huge logistical nightmare Nissan are experiencing to do this and very thankful that they are.

I bet Ghosn is saying well that was good while it lasted - think we should cut our losses. Or maybe not - could gain +ve publicity from their timely action for Nissan.

Anyway, don't want to go off topic as its great news for our European friends.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Feel free Guy to re-read my post and quote exactly where I said there was some sort of conspiracy.....

As an owner of a car within the range of ViNs affected, I have the right for a full explanation of the problem.

That includes a simple explanation as to why UK RHD cars are not affected.

Your statement that JDM and USDM cars are not affected is not pertinent to the problem as they are not subject to EU regulations regarding Lead free metals in the affected bearings, as far as I'm aware.

Clearly the UK is part of the EU, and as such, why would our bearings be different to those placed in other EU cars?

A simple question which I have the right to ask, as my car has a VIN within the range specified.

I made no suggestion of anything. I just need more information to put my mind at ease.

So are you suggesting that I have no right to that information?

I sincerely hope not.
My VIN is bang in the middle of the affected range and I bet my car was built before 25th february too ( given it was delivered on April the 9th)

So, Nissan are saying out of 565 cars built in a given period ( assuming VINs are allocated sequentially) that 309 are compromised but 256 are not, even though some may be European market vehicles as well.

I recall waiting so long for my euro spec car to arrive, partly because Nissan said it would be different from JDM/US and now Nissan are saying not every Euro car is the same and UK cars have some similarities to JDM/US? Come on.

I presume there have been different spare part product numbers for lead versus non lead bearings? What are they?

Does anyone have a source for the UK vs EU adoption of the applicable legislation. Clearly we Brits should fight for pickled onion monster munch and the humble banger, but would we have opted out of lead free bearings. Doubt it.

Still impressed with Nissan's response but I'm with CC and would like reassurance.

Wouldn't want an engine failure

1 - 20 of 154 Posts