GTR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, got two questions that I hope you can help answer for me.

I finally got my 96' GTR licensed to run on the street, and took it out to get gas and take it for a little run.

It has 56K on the clock and I am just waiting to get the necessary parts to do a complete service on it

My questions are,

1) is it normal for the engine to not want to rev over 2500rpm until the engine reaches operational temp? Because mine will hesitate for about 3-5mins and then run properly with no hesitation.

And 2) Its got Purple HKS adjustable suspension on it, that has adjustable perches, if I tighten the perches will this raise the ride height, and also will the suspension get even stiffer? I would like to know how to adjust the valving in the shock bodies to make them more compliant with Nassau's Sh*tty roads.

I really just want to know if the running issue when cold is normal or if I really need to service the engine....before I run into a big problem.

And on a side note, the car smells of asbestos after being driven, but the clutch doesn't feel like it is slipping. Any ideas?

Thanks guys, I appreciate any and all help you can offer. :thumbsup:

David.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
burnt clutch smell usually means burnt clutch - I didn't think my clutch was slipping either, but after pulling it, well, it wasn't slipping, but there was very, very little life left in it.

The revving thing also seems odd. Something's not right there.

I'm not sure if raising the car height will tighten up the spring rate, but the adjustable perches are intended to adjust car height. One thing I've realized while trying to even out my car, is that raising or lowering one affects the others, sometimes on the same side, sometimes diagonally.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I am planning on changing them when I do the service next week.

Also, not sure if this bit of info helps, but it came with the HKS superdragger exhaust.

And what I found a little weird, is that when you hold the revs (like say cruise at 3000rpm) there is a lot of exhaust reversion (the burbling, blub blub sound that very free flowing exhaust systems make on say big V8's)

This also happenes when you take you foot off the throttle and let the RPM's decay (which is normal I think since all my vehicles with aftermarket exhaust has done this to some degree).

Do you think that spark plugs might be causing this also?

Sould I clean the Air flow meters maybe?

I would hate to have spent good money on a car only to have major issue because I didn't check something.

Thanks for the responses guys. I appreciate it.

D.

·
Registered
498 Posts
If they are old plugs they may not be sparking so well and with the extra fuel going in when cold it could be as simple as changing them...There are however plenty of other things it could be..Start with the plugs & cleaning the AFMs wont do any harm and see what is it like then..
Where did you get the car??
If it is from Japan it will still be running for Jap fuel which is a high octane rating..Not sure what you have in the Bahamas but it could be alot lower octane rating and that will cause you problems especially when on boost..

·
Registered
91 Posts
My 32 GTR doesn't like going over 2500-3000rpm from cold, it was ok in Summer, so I put that down to the colder weather. It's only like it for a few minutes then she's fine.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Does sound like you need to change plugs and oil and oil filter for starters, if the plugs are worn then when cold they are struggling to fire correctly, if unsure take them out and have a look at the condition of them, if black and generally look old then change them asap mate,

Gurj

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
that deafening reverberation at 3000rpm is normal for a big racing exhaust. I was about to bypass the only muffler on my exhaust system, which is 3.5" from the Mine's headers all the way to the 4.5" Apexi resonator - I figured I'd get a hellcious sound. But the 3K rpm sound, well, I'm too old for that kinda thing now :p But that burbling blub blub sound, there are people who want to get that sound so you've already got it :)

Be VERY careful with octane and mapping. If the car was remapped in the States then chances are your gas will be compatible. But if it's still on a Japanese 98 octane map, you will blow your engine. Lots, lots of guys (including myself) blow their first engine within days of getting their first Skyline due to incorrect octane. And having your new car in the shop a week after taking delivery will have you crying a river - I have no idea how I managed to wait four months for my car...

·
Registered
348 Posts
when i drive the r32 gtr somtimes it sticks and the engine is struggling then bam away i go again ( i need new spark plugs) thats what i have put it down to anyway

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Be VERY careful with octane and mapping. If the car was remapped in the States then chances are your gas will be compatible. But if it's still on a Japanese 98 octane map, you will blow your engine. Lots, lots of guys (including myself) blow their first engine within days of getting their first Skyline due to incorrect octane. And having your new car in the shop a week after taking delivery will have you crying a river - I have no idea how I managed to wait four months for my car...
Are you serious..... the GTR ecu can't retard timing for lower octane fuel by itself??

Unfortunately Nassau is the arm pit of the universe when it comes to tuning shops/tuners in general.

I have no way of modifying the base maps in the stock ECU.

I would maybe get a piggy back fuel controller, but there are no dyno's around here to tune it either.

Guess I am pretty well scr*wed. :eek:

Wow... that just bites.

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
Are you serious..... the GTR ecu can't retard timing for lower octane fuel by itself??

Unfortunately Nassau is the arm pit of the universe when it comes to tuning shops/tuners in general.

I have no way of modifying the base maps in the stock ECU.

I would maybe get a piggy back fuel controller, but there are no dyno's around here to tune it either.

Guess I am pretty well scr*wed. :eek:

Wow... that just bites.
Maybe you could talk to a Tuner here in the UK.
Abbey i would recommend.
Maybe they could sort some kind of ecu for you.
You never know.

·
Registered
36 Posts
hey, maybe u could let me kno what conclusion u came too, i live in nassau too and i just got a r32 gtst and i have to wait about the same amount of time too befor i cant really drive the car, i put a post up a while ago and got some respons saying that it is normal for my car to do that and it is best that i just wait, but i would like to get a second opinion. and i would really like to see your gtr on the road some day.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Our fuel is about 91 or 92 octane, which is quite a bit lower than Japan's fuel.
i think this could be a major issue.

go for the highest octane you can get at the pump...will save you some cash soon!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey, maybe u could let me kno what conclusion u came too, i live in nassau too and i just got a r32 gtst and i have to wait about the same amount of time too befor i cant really drive the car, i put a post up a while ago and got some respons saying that it is normal for my car to do that and it is best that i just wait, but i would like to get a second opinion. and i would really like to see your gtr on the road some day.
Well I had a 95 R33 GTS25-t and I don't remember having that issue with the RB25DET. I think you have the RB20DET though so I can't really say for sure.

Have you changed your spark plugs? Did you buy the GTS-t from Ultimate Performance? Just curious.

I really don't want to blow the engine in the GTR due to a fueling issue.

Does anyone know if the GTR uses Open Loop Fueling? And if the ECU uses a knock sensor to retard timing if knock is present? :confused:

Now I'm petrified to drive the car. :nervous:

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
The car was sourced from Japan, but I bought it though Autoterminal-Used car distributor,Used Car Dealer Network,Vehicle Supplier,Second hand car dealers which is a holding facillity for IBCauto.com located in Ft Lauderdale, Florida.

Our fuel is about 91 or 92 octane, which is quite a bit lower than Japan's fuel.

Will the GTR's ecu adapt to that octane rating like the Subaru WRX's ecu will?

Also, am I correct that a 96' GTR will use NGK PFR7A-11 plugs?

Thanks.

David.
It depends on what system is used to measure octane rating in your country. If it is the British system then the highest figure (RON) is used but if like America it uses the better system of the average of RON and MON (more interest to us as it is a measure under load) then it will appear lower but may in fact be a very high RON fuel. MON is usually about 9 to 10 points lower than RON so a 98 RON here would usually be a safe 93 octane in the USA. 92 in the USA is about 97 RON here in the UK. Anyway the USA measurement is a better one and I wish we would use it in the UK.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
There are two knock sensors, and timing would be retarded, but you can only go so far - under sustained full boost you can get into trouble (going for groceries under 4000rpm and not boosting is ok, no worries there).

If no one can tune your ecu, why not get an Apexi Power FC, an FC-Datalogit (so you can talk to it with your laptop), get a handheld wideband O2 sensor for precise air/fuel ratio measurements, then grab a friend and after getting advice/base maps from the FC-Datalogit user groups online, have your friend drive your car and you can tune on the fly. Seriously!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yup, its the silver r32 that was on UP imports lot. i have not change the spark plugs as yet, but that will be the first thing ill try.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts