GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ya'll i cannot stop thinking about giving up the speed and swopping my gtr for an r8 (v8 engine)

Now i know a few of you have bout the v10 and then gone back to the gtr! So i think i need you lot to talk me out of it!

Or suggest any other cars around £30-40k i should consider now i have an itch to change.

997 turbo is defo on the list but something tells me its time i give up the speed thing!

V

·
Registered
907 Posts
Have you driven the r8 and the turbo that would be the easiest way to decide. On the way to nissan to test drive the gtr i drove my brothers 997 turbo the gtr won hands down for me.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Mate the 997 turbo is very fast, so that's not giving up the speed lol. Not wanting to turn the thread into a porker v GT- R thing, just saying they are very closely matched :D

Mate, I can't talk you out of it as although I love going quickly, it's not all about the speed and the v8 is a sweet handling car. Oh and if you stick a nice pipe on it they sound awesome :D if you are gettin the itch just take your time and go test drive a few tasty motors and see if they feel like a possible replacement. Only you can make that decision mate.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Read the last porker/R8 threads? Don't mean to be mean, but this one's been done to death here:
GT-R - ultimate performance & modification potential
Porsche - ultimate engineering
R8 - ultimate ...image?

I should say I have great respect for what each manufacturer has achieved.

...Verinder, who gives a f#ck what anyone else thinks, go and drive the other car and see what you think yourself, then decide.

Don't you still have the classic Porsche?

Protegimus

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea i stil have the classic porsche and it that car that made me realise you dont need speed to have fun. I jus got it remapped last week.... Running rich ;)

Iv decided im hiring an r8 for a week.

Verin

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yea i stil have the classic porsche and it that car that made me realise you dont need speed to have fun. I jus got it remapped last week.... Running rich ;)

Iv decided im hiring an r8 for a week.

Verin
If it's not out and out speed how about an Exige S - they get fantastic press and I don't think there is a better handling mid engine car ( at least not for that money and a chunk more ).

A nice problem to have though....

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
If it's not out and out speed how about an Exige S - they get fantastic press and I don't think there is a better handling mid engine car ( at least not for that money and a chunk more ).

A nice problem to have though....
After the oooommpphh of a turbo car I found the Exige S a bit slow feeling as the power delivery is very linear.
Other than that, good fun and feel.

Not tried the cup version though... dealer went quiet on me. :confused:

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
After the oooommpphh of a turbo car I found the Exige S a bit slow feeling as the power delivery is very linear.
Other than that, good fun and feel.

Not tried the cup version though... dealer went quiet on me. :confused:
Me too, and mine had 340bhp.

Nothing beats a turbo.

R8 showing its age IMHO, but the open gate, design and sound are really appealing.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Seen this discussed so many times on this forum :(

I would like the R8 if the TT did not exist.

Until then, and until they redesign it, it will always be a squashed TT.

A new shape TT was driving towards me about 2 months ago, with Its cool DRL's on, and I turned round to the MRS and said "look an R8" until it got close and I saw the side of it, it was just a new TT.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Verin
There's your answer then, sell them all and buy a Mclaren!

Protegimus

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Depends on what is the main criteria for you to change really. 30-40k will struggle to get a decent R8.

If you want a V8 have you considered E90 M3 or C63 AMG? You could get 60 plate+ with decent spec.

You need to make sure you are definitely over the speed thing though as it will be hard to find another car as rapid :p

·
Premium Member
8,835 Posts
I too thought about a R* but the V10 convertable version, but they are still 60 to 70k and not as brilliant as a GTR !!

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
The R8 is a different kind of package, go test drive a car or two and take it from there. I love the R8, I blame Andrew186 from here as his one has converted me to liking them, yes his is a V10 but a V8 is still a fanstatic car

Having also driven the E93 M3 properly over the weekend, it's such a capable car so if it's a V8 your after also consider them, the ownership of the two are quite different though

·
Premium Member
8,835 Posts
BUT SLOW and German !!!!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts