GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I had my engine rebuilt because of piston damage. I had a new forged bottom end and new turbos fitted along with HKS cams. The car was limited to 4000rpm for the first 1000 miles to run it in. When I took my car back to the tuner for mapping it was losing water, which was noticed. It now turns out that my head has a crack in it which I am being told is down to me as this can happen.

I am seeking some advice as to what to do, has this happend to anyone.

Regards

D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They said they would not have pressure tested it unless their was a water loss problem from before.
They took the head off my old engine and put it on the new bottom end.

·
Registered
792 Posts
who is the tuner, surely a cracked head would have been noticed in the strip down? or did the just rebuild from the bottom and not remove the head?
You have to remove the head to change pistons.

Did you ask for any headwork to be done? (skimming etc) Usually when skimming the head is also crack tested but obviosuly if you did not ask for any headwork they won't touch it unless it is visible on the surface etc then there is chance of them catching it.

Where is it cracked?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hi mate. Head on my GTR cracked shortly after I bought it, as a result of a leaky water pump and overheating. I took it TR Racing who striped it down and sent it somewhere who repaired and reinforced it. For me it was a no brainer as the head had some beautiful porting and polishing work done to it. Cost a bit over a grand if I remember correctly. Alot of that though was the labour for striping down and rebuilding the head, I think the actual head work repair was around £500-£600.

Good luck

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The head cracked at number 3 piston when it was being run in at less than 4000rpm contolled by the ECU. I am having to get another head, lets hope this one lasts more than 1000 miles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts