GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok ive had my car a month now, seriously thought about getting rid a couple of times specially yesterday after an arse twitching moment where i ended up very sideways at high speed, took a friend out for a spin we were both still recovering a few hrs later, one of them moments you never forget!! anyway, i just seem to find the car either heart wrenchingly fast or boring as ****, trying so hard to keep the revs to 1100 or whatever to do 30 or holding on for dear life doing some silly figure within a few seconds. There seems nothing in between.

I am bit worried of leaving the car anywhere..so I bought a 2nd car, which is crap..lol so, i spent a fortune on a gtr and drive round in a POS! lol

Wondered if anyone else took a while getting used to their car, i had evos for 7 years anything up to 700hp done loads of track stuff, then a few other bits and bobs, focus rs and so on then had german oil burner for a year before getting the GTR, but really just dont feel i can get on with it atm..it scares me a bit if am totally honest, possibly due to weather being shite since owning it.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Heh, I understand that feeling bud. Need to practice high levels of self control to keep my license :p

No regrets buying the GTR - it's so far the best performing car I've ever got! Shame pending changes might mean I'll have to swap for something more sensible.

·
Registered
301 Posts
It's not the car.....................try a little self control !!!!!

It will potter around like a normal car at any revs in any gear (in auto).

Just wait til you're used to it before going silly, also depends on the road/conditions.

·
Registered
429 Posts
ok ive had my car a month now, seriously thought about getting rid a couple of times specially yesterday after an arse twitching moment where i ended up very sideways at high speed, took a friend out for a spin we were both still recovering a few hrs later, one of them moments you never forget!! anyway, i just seem to find the car either heart wrenchingly fast or boring as ****, trying so hard to keep the revs to 1100 or whatever to do 30 or holding on for dear life doing some silly figure within a few seconds. There seems nothing in between.

I am bit worried of leaving the car anywhere..so I bought a 2nd car, which is crap..lol so, i spent a fortune on a gtr and drive round in a POS! lol

Wondered if anyone else took a while getting used to their car, i had evos for 7 years anything up to 700hp done loads of track stuff, then a few other bits and bobs, focus rs and so on then had german oil burner for a year before getting the GTR, but really just dont feel i can get on with it atm..it scares me a bit if am totally honest, possibly due to weather being shite since owning it.
This is pretty much how I felt about my gtr....it was insanely fast when you gave it some and pretty mundane when pottering around

I guess that's part of the appeal of the gtr but I felt that the car was a deffo licence loser and this thought constantly plagued every drive of the car

Ido miss the ballistic performance but I think the gtr struggles to be properly used on our speed camera infested roads

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
What tyres jason4656? After an Evo on Michelin Pilot Sport I found the GTR unstable on Dunlop or Bridgestone runflats except in the dry and on smooth surfaces. Michelin Pilot Super Sport have helped and are more progressive.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I wouldn't say too fast. Its very fast, but you have the control over the speed with your right foot. Use your brain and look at the road and weather conditions if its icy or really wet you might want to resist flooring it in second round a bend lol.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
car has mpss tyres all like in great nick i wouldnt say its unstable yesterday it was a bit greasy and but the sideways moment came even at high rpm so it wasnt like just coming on boost or anything, it will just spin up even at high speed and high rpm!!

ash did you sell your car ? thats how i feel about the license thing, i had my evos for 7 years with no points then all of a sudden ended up with 13 points within 2 years from an accident that wasnt my fault and a silly manoeuvre around a circus truck that was hiding a speed cam.... so laid off fast cars for a while got it back to being reasonable now so i am also worried about losing license, family commitments and stuff and my job would not go down well losing license! but yes agree if i just want to potter around, im better off in the fiesta trying to drive the gtr everywhere at 30 is more frustrating than anything..

·
Registered
941 Posts
I didn't have much confidence driving my GTR when I first got it. Like you say, its so rapid that before you know it you can be doing silly speeds and have no idea what to expect and anticipate. So I booked myself on the CAT driving day. Came away with a much better understanding of what the car will do and what it won't.
I still have the opinion that in order to enjoy the car the way Nissan intended is to do so on track.
I love my GTR though but my next car will be something slower but more involving at more reasonable speeds, something like the BRZ.

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts

sounds like you need soem driver training :)

Speak to Colin at CAT, may save your life :confused:

·
Registered
522 Posts
Ive began to feel the same way about mine of late. Had it 18 months and loved it but the buzz has worn off now and when you do get it out on some nice country roads you can only nail the accelerator for 2-3sec and your license is in jeopardy.

I wouldnt say it scares me,with a stage 1 and mpss it is plenty lively even in the dry but never feels like its going to kill me.
Might have a change next yr and try and find something a bit slower but more engaging and feels a bit more special at lower speeds and pottering around which lets face it,on todays roads is pretty much most of the time.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sounds like couple of people had the same thinking then, to me no one is right or wrong, its about perspective and everyone is entitled to their own, i just wondered how others felt. What cars would you consider more involving and slower, evo was just always so much fun for me and i know them however much more difficult to get a nice one these days, possibly m3 v8 also when ive driven them always felt lots of involvement..

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I'm not trying to slag or say I'm a good driver or anyone is a poor driver. I just think from my own perspective that as long as you are careful you should be fine... I'm not a slow driver as a couple of people have witnessed, but I am very cautious in certain circumstances (a write off a few years ago caused that). Theres a time and a place to go fast.

The 370z is very involving when its icy haha - courtesy car while my car is in for warranty work.

·
Registered
522 Posts
To be honest i never felt like that after just a month. I was buzzing with the car for a good year but like any car,after a couple of yrs i always fancy a change. I can see how after only a month you might feel it is a bit too quick and might want to kill you but that is the most exciting part! Once you get to grips with the car you begin to find that it is just impossible to really stretch its legs on the public roads and thats when it starts to get a bit dull.

I fancy trying a 997 gt3 or an R8,nowhere near as fast or capable as a GTR but therefore im sure you would be able to wring their necks a bit more on the public roads without fearing for your freedom everytime you floor it!

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Licence losing speeds is always a worry in any car these days, not just the GT-R, I try to poodle around if I have to use it during the day, but 99% of my driving is at night when the sheeple are all at home and the scamera vans have gone home. I find the roads at night are (around here anyway) blissfully empty, it really is a different world than day time driving, like night and day you could say lol.

I find the GT-R very responsive to driver input, even on slippery damp roads it does pretty much what I want and am expecting it to do, haven't had any scary moments so far in my 11 mnths of ownership, and had quite some fun over the last week as it's pissed down every night! Maybe some of you guys expect too much when flooring it out of a roundabout at 50 in 2nd gear in the rain? I do that too, but find the initial twitch is perfect for changing up to 3rd, I really think it's a very controllable car, the double clutch instant change up is a great straightener of the rear end.

I come from a history of 300ZX's and RX-7's, all modified to run high boost, and they were very much more of a handful on damp roads, with no TC, ESP blah blah etc driver aids the back end was fish tailing all the time.

But talking of more involving drives, I had a spin in a mates 360 spider the other night and that was fun, the flappy paddles are really slow to respond in comparison, but the sound and go cart ride quality made it great fun to drive, really enjoyed it. :) The GT-R would actually murder it, but it felt just as quick in a fun way.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
Personally I found the R35 quite uninvolving on the road after I got used to it.
Unless you pressed on a bit... it only came alive at speeds you shouldn't be doing. So enouraged a lack of self control.

To really appreciate it, you need to get it on track where they really show how good they are.

Running a "daily driver" was a good idea for me.
I'd have soon tired of the R35 if I had to drive it all the time in traffic etc...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts