GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 261 Posts

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For the sake of good hearted banter between the different types of GTR I thought it'd be good to see if anyone wants to join in on this.
Similar to the MSV 'How Fast' events at Bedford that exclude most of us due to the strict noise policy we could have an unofficial GTROC version at Brands.

Just to point out timing isn't allowed on most track days and should only be done with in-car video after the event.

There are a few R32's that might be up for this and hopefully some R35's will want to join too... As well as all the other ones:)

To kick things off:

Car: R32 GTR
Weight: full/1496kg
Tyres: Federal RS-R
Power: [email protected]
Conditions: dry
Time: 52.8 seconds

Video:
(not the 52 sec lap - "just" a 53.1)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJPHtxRa3KU

Bring on the banter!! :)

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
I got black flagged twice in one day but ignored the last one as I was on a quick one. My R35 GT-R was well over the noise limit so only managed a few laps, most of which were baulked by other cars.

A quick lap around Brands Indy circuit in a R35 GT-R is down to the right entry into Paddock Hill bend after late braking down the straight with the VDC off, then putting into R mode at Druids and keeping in that set up until Paddock Hill bend again. If you keep it in R mode, the car will not give a clean exit on full throttle up Hailwood Hill so you have to be ready for the switching off and on mode. Be as brave as you can going through Graham Hill bend and be flat along Cooper Straight and virtually straight line Surtees taking as much rumble strip as you dare, then hard onto the brakes (left foot if you can) into McLaren and feed the power in quickly as possible entering Clearways all the way back to Paddock Hill at full throttle etc. Also, try and take advantage of the slope that points downhill towards the pit wall before going high under hard braking into Paddock.

The car needs to be set up quite aggressively for good turn in as you don't want to wash out too much at Druids and remember that your O/S tyres will always be a lot cooler than your N/S so Graham Hill bend frequently catches you out after the heat generated at Paddock and Druids.

Although the circuit is very short it is quite technical and any lap that requires you to go off line because of slower or faster cars will penalise you considerably.

Car: R35 GT-R
Weight: heavy (about1800kg)
Tyres: Toyo R888
Power: Only Iain Litchfield knows but circa 600bhp
Suspension: Full Litchfield modified
Conditions: Dry and cool
Time: On V-Box. Let you guess what the 'Smirfmobile' did

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would love to see the vid!!!! :)

Great write up of the lap :clap:

I'd guess at 51 secs?? Or less maybe??

I went out for the first time in a properly driven stage 1 R35 at Brands 'only' running Michellin Sport Super tyres and it was incredibly fast. Easily quicker than my 32..

I don't understand why the R35's aren't winning more races?

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
Sam, thought you said the 52 second time was some guy's opinion who was watching?
Is there any evidence to keep people happy who will be trying to beat it?

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
I will let you know in a couple of weeks Sam,I'm booked on the 21st December,anyone else booked on yet?

Only £89 all day

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Paul - enjoy it on the 21 st, I'm away that day but make sure you take your slicks and give the 35's something to think about ! ;) ..... Nurburgringgtr's 35 is stupidly fast making mine look slow!

Richard - nothing official, just someone with a stopwatch. It did a couple of 52's, one after the other - the guy took a screen shot of the results and texted them to me while I was waiting for the AA :)

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tommy - great to hear!! This thread was your idea - was hoping you'd be up for this! So brakes all done now - you got the AP's?

51-53 secs is a great time.. The only decent reference point I have for any GTR is Steve Sutcliffe doing a 53.96 in the 2013 GTR. Vid below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIX6odIO06M

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Steve Sutcliffe is a great driver and his time was really representative of a standard car with standard brakes and standard suspension. He is also being quite cautious of taking too much rumble strip and tends to 'showboat' a bit which will add some time on.

With a good set of Toyo 888's and the Litchfield suspension and stage 4, I think at least 3 or 4 seconds could be found under the right conditions.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Tommy - great to hear!! This thread was your idea - was hoping you'd be up for this! So brakes all done now - you got the AP's?

51-53 secs is a great time.. The only decent reference point I have for any GTR is Steve Sutcliffe doing a 53.96 in the 2013 GTR. Vid below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIX6odIO06M
Yep AP 6 pots fitted a nice new set of Yokohama A-048R on my new 18x10 track wheels so looking good :) I won't be anywhere near that pace for awhile lol but am looking forward to trying, as a comparison my mate does 51s round there in his 800kg 250bhp pug 205 !!

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep AP 6 pots fitted a nice new set of Yokohama A-048R on my new 18x10 track wheels so looking good :) I won't be anywhere near that pace for awhile lol but am looking forward to trying, as a comparison my mate does 51s round there in his 800kg 250bhp pug 205 !!
Awesome! You'll be flying with those brakes and tyres and won't have any noise issues using full boost :) keep me posted when you go and if I'm free I'll come along - would love to see what 600bhp feels like!!!!
Your mates 205 must be fantastic fun - guessing it did that time on slicks?
Love very quick hot hatches, I spend most of my time on track hunting down posh exotics.. Being past by quick nova's, 205's etc always makes me laugh! :)

·
Registered
9,654 Posts
Moved this thread as it doesn't belong in the events section!

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Kriss - thanks mate by no correct forum to put it in! Now in skyline forum but R35's put in the best times!!!!

Tom - would love to see your mates 205! I used to have one.. Went very sideways!
Will keep in touch but let me know your track day diary:) beer diary too ;)

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Darrens best lap on slicks is 48.6

1 - 20 of 261 Posts