GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all just wanted your opinion on this matter.

I am currently a Nissan Master technician myself and also a semi professional race driver, I have raced agaisnt some very experianced race drivers in the past some of which are currently in F1. I have just won the Hunts kart race club for the second year on the bounce which is the most competetive and biggest grids in the uk, where we have even raced against Nissan's GTR academy driver Jann madenborough who might i ad we have always had the better of in every race. Due to financial reasons I have not been able to progress any further and was hoping that Nissan could of helped. What with working for Nissan and having a gd knowledge of how a car works and handles on/off the track and by proving my capability, I decided to contact Nissan asking for a chance to prove my ability more to them and possible the chance to become one of their proffesional race drivers. I have sent several letters/e-mails and guess what nothing. As we know motorsport is a very political and money orientated sport but by being an employee of Nissan's, I thought that they would of showed an interest and was just wondering your views on this matter.

Regards. Derek Morgan

·
Premium Member
13,356 Posts
I think you've already identified part of the cause really. Top level motorsport starts with marketability first then ability coming second. Obviously, you need some talent to succeed but it's not the first thing they look at. Look at how F1 drivers have to be PR puppets and always say the right things. Money first, sport second. Bernie was the master at creating this and CVC have taken it a step further.

That's the way I see it, anyway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Totally agree with you but why not give an employee this chance who has already shown the ability and can work together on the pr side?? After all thought this could of been good press for Nissan and possible get further in motorsport.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Totally agree with you but why not give an employee this chance who has already shown the ability and can work together on the pr side?? After all thought this could of been good press for Nissan and possible get further in motorsport.
Unfortunately, I think that you're making the mistake in expecting a large company to care about its staff or value them particularly highly. Rarely happens these days and they know that if you don't like it they can easily find someone to replace you.

Shame but the way of the world these days.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Derek,

I can sense a little frustration in your post, and im not sure exactly what you're looking for in a response but this is how I see it.

Everyone is in the same boat one way or another, Motorsport is an expensive sport and someone has to pay for it. Be it a wealthy individual, 'Driver', Team owner, sponsor etc etc..

Its extremely easy to sit back and reside to the way of thinking that 'due to financial reasons' my career cannot progress, and can understand from the outside perspective why some get extremely frustrated with Motorsport, myself included at times.

The reality is that all successful drivers have had good and bad times. The moment you allow yourself to believe that it should take a laptime or race result to secure your position in the sport, is when you really might as well give up.

Driving the car is the easy part of the job, the gift for all of the work leading up to that moment. Keep pushing, and leave no stone unturned.

Good luck

Jonny Cocker

·
Premium Member
3,381 Posts
Derek, hopefully you will take this the right way but I hope your presentation to Nissan was checked over for spelling errors!
I own several race cars and if you have a budget for next year we could possibly do a test in the spring. I've had a look at your results, if you are coming along to the Autosport Show I will be on the GTROC stand, come over and find me and we can have a chat.

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
Keep trying mate. But as some folk have said it's not what you know but who you know.

I used to race karts, won a couple of club championships, Scottish championship and 3rd in the British championship. I couldn't go into cars because I just couldn't afford it. My dad worked as the advertising manager for Scottish radio and set me up a few meetings with some big companies so I could do a pitch. The most I got was £1000, which just about covered my entry fees for a year of karting never mid cars.

Sadly in a company the size of nissan I fear your just a number not a name.

Keep trying mate, you could yet prove us all wrong.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Keep trying mate. But as some folk have said it's not what you know but who you know.
That statement is just an excuse in my opinion.

My point is that if you desire to make a living out of driving racing cars its your absolute responsibility to make sure you do know the right people

Driving the car is the easy bit :)

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
That statement is just an excuse in my opinion.

My point is that if you desire to make a living out of driving racing cars its your absolute responsibility to make sure you do know the right people. Which is back to my original post.

Driving the car is the easy bit.
Fair enough, I'm just going by my experience.

·
Premium Member
13,356 Posts
Derek, I don't know if you ever read Motorsport magazine but there are many stories, every month, about people who didn't make it as far as people thought they would. Look at some of the really successful Le Mans and Indycar drivers who are where they are because F1 didn't work out for them. It strikes me as a totally cutthroat business and you need to have an element of ruthlessness to survive in it. Not everyone can be successful in motorsport and, for a lot, it has to be an expensive hobby rather than a way of earning a living.

I know it may seem harsh but, just because you have had a bit of success, are keen and work for Nissan, doesn't mean a thing to them. They want a return on any investment and I don't honestly think you could give it them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for most of the positive replies guys. Barry p might be down there will pop over for a chat if so :). If any one was interested in seeing some on board footage please type in youtube del boy 88 senior rotax kimbolton. Sorry for the long winded way around that, just as I new to site unable to attach links yet

Regards dell.

Here it is (TAZZ'd)

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
unfortunately, F1 is as corrupt as our banks... unless you are SERIOUSLY minted mate, there is little to zero chance of breaking into that level. even the GT cars, or F3`s are way out of reach for most in motorsport...
I got offered "a drive" once in a single seater. they only wanted £24,500 off me up front for the day - hahaha! cheeky bastards.

I also agree with its, who, not what you know in top level motorsport.

don't give up though, if its what you really want, keep trying mate....

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
This is the case with all individual sport,sometimes talent is not always enough.

You need to regard yourself as a business,push every avenue for sponsorship.

Work hard and don't give up.

Good things come to those who wait :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
unfortunately, F1 is as corrupt as our banks... unless you are SERIOUSLY minted mate, there is little to zero chance of breaking into that level. even the GT cars, or F3`s are way out of reach for most in motorsport...
I got offered "a drive" once in a single seater. they only wanted £24,500 off me up front for the day - hahaha! cheeky bastards.

I also agree with its, who, not what you know in top level motorsport.

don't give up though, if its what you really want, keep trying mate....
I was shocked at the figures that drivers had to come up with, either themselves or through sponsors :runaway:

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
My mate Ali used to race against Mr Di Resta in karts back in the day and I know that my mate didn't have much change out if 50k for a season, that was 10 years ago.

My old kart mechanic has told me of parents ploughing £100k a year into the sport without blinking

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
yep,
one of our new drivers has just dropped out of pro karting after seeing some competitors spend 50k+ on their karts ! he said he could no way compete with that.
how on earth is this possible or even sensible for that matter. lol....

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
This would explain why so many of the BTCC drivers historically are the son of the guy running the team then? :)

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Tell me about it....I have been subsidising my sons karting for six years....
But I wouldn't change it for the world...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts