GTR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Can someone please offer some advice/comment.....

I've had my GTR over five years now and the oil pressure has always been very good at 3000 rpm the needle usually sits just under the 6 Kg/cm2 mark on the guage circa 5.5 kg/cm2 or 75psi. When cold, again it sits just under the 6 kg/cm2. The oil pressure hase been relatively constant and consistent of those 5 years.

However, over the past three months I have noticed that the oil pressure reading has become a little erratic with the needle moving up, pausing/ slowinig at around 4 kg/cm2 before contunuing to go up to just under 6 kg/cm2 at 3000 rpm as normal.

I was advised that the Oil pressure sensor was failing (a common fault) so I had a new one fitted......

Well now I'm even more confused and concerned. Today, with a 12,00 mile service I had a new oil pressure unit fitted about £100 inc. and the pressure reading is even worse, it takes a long time to for the needle to move and at 3000 rpm it bearly goes above halfway, 4 kg/cm2 or 56 psi. At 4000 rpm it just reaches 4.5 kg/cm2 or 64 psi.

So my question, is there a logical explination as to why my oil pressure has droped by 1kg/cm2 or 14 psi since I have had the new oil pressure sensor fitted?

This makes absolutely no snese to me as I expected to resolve the erratic nature of the pressure reading but did not anticipate getting a much lower reading than I have experienced over the past 5 years.

Is it possible the switch may be faulty?

Any thoughts/comments would be gratefully appreciated

Many thanks:confused:

·
Registered
246 Posts
firstly check they havnt used ptfe tape or anything to fit the sender as obviously it earths through the engine...

But i personally reacon there is a magic line in your post.. 'with a 12,00 mile service'... ie, did they do an oil and filter ?

if so, what oil spec they use ? right level ? was the older oil suited for engine and now fresh oil put in has the problem been high lighted (does happen unfortunately)

best check to do, which i had to do on mine 2 weeks after buying it is a proper oil pressure test using testing equipment and not relying on the naff std nissan stuff, which from my brief time/experience with prooves to just be pants! ... it is possible to fit the testing oil pressure gauge into the temp sender hole so you can compare your gauge and the calibrated testing gauge too. That way would either confirm a gauge / sender fault or fault within oil system.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi

Many thanks for your thoughts comments.

The 12,000 mile service did include an oil and filter. However, I provided the oil, which was Shell Helix Racing 10w 60 the same as waht was in there before the oil and filter change, the oil was supplied by a local Ferrari dealership. I have not checked the oil level maybe I should!

If anyone else has any logical explination for what I am experiencing with my oil pressure please tell me, It may prevent me from going mad!

Many thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
I totally agree with whoflungdung, 2 bar at idle, 4 bar driving no worries at all,
my gauge cold start 7bar , warm 4bar ,2bar idle, then when it feels like it goes to 0 bar,then comes back occasionally, has a mined of its own.
to be honest your gauge readings for the past 5 years seem quite high, and sound spot on now. NO WORRIES.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Dont listen to Dung-boy mate !
He would'nt listen to the best advise available !
And I doubt he will post a thread about it when it goes Bang !!

Buy it a Tomie oil pump and you can shim it to suit your gauge. :smokin:

5 years on it must deserve that. :D :D
hope its all good !
Best wishes
Cokey

1 - 7 of 7 Posts