GTR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having a new cambelt kit installed by someone else, I experienced cambelt whine which drove me nuts for 800 miles. I assumed the belt was too tight and eventually got around to loosening it myself but it made no difference. I then noticed the cambelt tensioner was markedly different to the old one that was taken out. I installed a cambelt kit with the 'correct' tensioner and am now noise free again.

The tensioners have different product numbers :

13070-5L300 which is supposedly for RB25 & RB20
13070-42L00 for the RB26/GTR

The product codes now seem to have changed according to amayama :

AY460NS010 for RB25
AY460NS013 for RB26

I'm assuming these parts are not interchangeable - certainly the RB25 tensioner didn't rotate smoothly when I was re-tensioning the belt. Pictures across the net show RB25 and RB26 engines with different tensioners. I am wondering whether the 'incorrect' tensioner was causing the belt whine? I'm also wondering what is the potential impact of using the 'wrong' tensioner - the RB26 tensioner seems to be much beefier that the RB25 version. I've searched across the usual forums and spoken to a supplier but there seems to be a lack of clarity on the subject. Can anyone here shed any light?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I had the same, was it a Nissan belt or aftermarket? I tried a few and had a constant whine :mad:
Spoke to a few Skyline tuners and was told it was a common problem with aftermarket belts, sowent back to a Nissan belt and problem fixed.
I did loosen the tension slightly at one point and made no difference.
The belt tensioner and idle pulley were both Nissan

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Both belts were genuine Nissan as were the tensioners and idlers. My understanding is that the problem with aftermarket belts is that they don't stretch as much as OEM and so as the block heats up and expands they put too much tension on the tensioner or idler which then starts to groan in protest. Non-OEM belts have to be tensioned looser than OEM or fitted when the engine is warm but as you suggest it doesn't always solve the 'issue'.

In my case the noise would only start after the engine had warmed up and make the typical too tight belt noise even though it was definitely not too tight - I'm wondering if the RB25 tensioner was somehow causing the same symptoms?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts