GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do all at the skyline owners club....
Im not realy a full member yet as i still ave to buy one, (currently selling MR2 turbo) but i said who better to get info off about them than the boys(n girls) drivin um. Ive done all the model spec checks and all that but I am still learning about them. So my Question is should i buy a 96 ER33GTR or a 98 ER34GTST as to me they both seem to ave the same BHP? and why? Help much appreciated Thanks....

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mmmm

Ya on reading that the GTR seems to to steel the show for me! Nutin like the real deal i suppose, nice1 for the guide. Its just the beautiful shape of the ER34 that keeps me wondering...:D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ya on reading that the GTR seems to to steel the show for me! Nutin like the real deal i suppose, nice1 for the guide. Its just the beautiful shape of the ER34 that keeps me wondering...:D
I know what you mean mate. I had a similar decision to make, an older GTR or the shape of the R34. It was easy for me, I've loved the shape of the R34 for years so my decision was made.

By the way, the R34 single turbo is a GTT not a GTSt.

·
Registered
53 Posts
How do all at the skyline owners club....
This is currently a mis-conception.

The Skyline Owners Club is here ;)

I used to have a GTT, very nice and really loved it, then I was going to buy a 33 GTR, but I decided against it and just sold up. But soon got bored and bought a GTST.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I've owned both in the last 12 months and they both have their pros and cons - so it's pretty much down to personal preference - sorry!

I had a 33 GTR first then wrote it off (a silly, one off incident which I won't go into :eek: ) then bought a GTT due to the settlement I was "offered" by the insurance company - which wasn't going to get me another decent GTR :mad:

Yes, in theory they both have the same 280hp "out of the box" but if you're going for Stage 1 mods (or further) I'd rather do that to a GTR than a GTT - personal opinion but I think the GTR is "safer" to get more power out of - in terms of driveability and not overdoing the standard engine/turbos. I'm not an expert in this so stand to be corrected!!

The GTR definitely feels more "planted" and the 4WD system is excellent (once you get used to it) compared to RWD and naff (on my GTT) traction control. Definitely faster 0-60 in a 33GTR due to 4WD. Also, the GTR hits the red line at 8000+ rpm whereas the GTT is 7000 (not that you should ever need to hit the red line in either :smokin: )

However, with a decent body kit on (mines a C-West) and 18" alloys, the GTT is very good looking and a good way of getting that more modern R34 look at a third of the price of an R34 GTR.

Also simple things like my GTT is 3 years younger than my GTR was and has less mileage, etc. But tuning/dressing up bits are probably more readily available for the 33 GTR.

All I can suggest is that you find a good example of each - and try to have a drive in them!

You won't be disappointed with either :bowdown1: Hope this helps and best of luck choosing!

Andy

·
Registered
318 Posts
i have my r34 gtr which i absolutely love to bits (when its not f$$kin broken!!) but must admit am a bit jelous when i go out on mad drives with my mates in their rear wheel drive cars.
if you want a car with big power that will take your breath away when you launch from the lights and completely waste your mate in his evo ect, then take out a £20k loan and build a 650bhp gtr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame:

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
i have my r34 gtr which i absolutely love to bits (when its not f$$kin broken!!) but must admit am a bit jelous when i go out on mad drives with my mates in their rear wheel drive cars.
if you want a car with big power that will take your breath away when you launch from the lights and completely waste your mate in his evo ect, then take out a £20k loan and build a 650bhp gtr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame:
Your car broke drive? What happened?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Your car broke drive? What happened?
mate its always broke!!!! had full stage 2 tune, intercooler pipe came off 2 hours later, spent all weekend locating that problem, then 2 days later broke the rear diff at santa pod, spent 2 weeks locating and fitting second hand one, then got it back on the road for 3-4 days and had a piston ring go on me!!!!!!! the car was off the road for 3 months while i ordered parts ect from over seas. i have now had a new forged engine rebuild and am amased that i have managed 522miles of running in and it has'nt broke!!!!!
this is the cars last chance now. cant wait till i get it remapped, im hoping for 620bhp+ at 1.5-1.6bar:squintdan :squintdan :squintdan

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks lads as i need as much feedback as i can to try make my mind up. Ur info was spot on andy ther the kinda things im thinkin about the r34, cud be a bit of dangerous machine, powerful RWD can be f**king scary, ive had couple of frights in me 250bhp mr2.I must check if all r34 gtt cum with traction ctl, u say its dodgy doh. Im goin 2 try test drive both models next week, that shud def make my mind up for me. And drive if i cud afford a r34 gtr tha would solve all me probs sum machine, some day hopefully!:chuckle:

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Rossy - not sure if traction control was an option on the GTT but most if not all will have it anyway. The GTT TC can suffer from sensor problems. I can lose traction without the TC engaging and the TC will come on when accelerating gently in 5th in a straight line at "motorway" speeds. Solution? - switch the TC off and take it easy out of bends on wet roads!!!

The GTR 4WD system is NOT idiot proof - you need to learn how to use it and how it reacts.

Whatever your reasons for choosing a 33 GTR or a 34 GTT - you'll always get a decent GTT (£10k+) cheaper than a decent gtr (£12k+).

Cheers,

Andy

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks lads as i need as much feedback as i can to try make my mind up. Ur info was spot on andy ther the kinda things im thinkin about the r34, cud be a bit of dangerous machine, powerful RWD can be f**king scary, ive had couple of frights in me 250bhp mr2.I must check if all r34 gtt cum with traction ctl, u say its dodgy doh. Im goin 2 try test drive both models next week, that shud def make my mind up for me. And drive if i cud afford a r34 gtr tha would solve all me probs sum machine, some day hopefully!:chuckle:
My 1998 GTT has traction control, switchable too - though I'm far too chicken to turn it off! I have to say though it grips like a bastard, as long as you don't drive like a mentalist and throw the car into corners then there's no need to worry about losing the backend.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I am pretty sure that all GTTs came with the TCS system. Certainly not the most advanced traction control I have ever experienced but does help a bit.

A well sorted GTT is a fantastic fun car and I am not sure that I did not prefer it overall to my GTR.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Done a bit of a check, and from wot i can make out all the gtt,s came wit traction control. But i know im gona change my decision every 2-3 days as i am at the momemt! Another question ive heard of gtr's that can get an aftermarket switch fitted to make them into two wheel drive,the Q is, is it RWD or FWD? I should ave done a poll about my model decision.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Done a bit of a check, and from wot i can make out all the gtt,s came wit traction control. But i know im gona change my decision every 2-3 days as i am at the momemt! Another question ive heard of gtr's that can get an aftermarket switch fitted to make them into two wheel drive,the Q is, is it RWD or FWD? I should ave done a poll about my model decision.
RWD. From what I understand of the GTR is that it's generally RWD but will switch to 4WD under certain circumstances - I.E. accelerating out of corners. (anyone care to correct me if I'm completely wrong here).

·
Registered
279 Posts
yes, for the gtr you can buy an electronic torque-split controller. so instead of having 4wd 'on demand', you can set the bias.
i know the GRID controller can do 'normal', 50/50 front/rear split, 0/100 front/rear split, and many other combinations in between. so if you fancy a bit of rwd action, you can in a GTR.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
the r33 gtr looks better than an r34 gtt anyday. flared arches and such road presence...and the sound of an rb26 is unreal :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
the r33 gtr looks better than an r34 gtt anyday. flared arches and such road presence...and the sound of an rb26 is unreal :)
It's all down to personal choice though. I happen to think the GTT looks a whole heap better than the R33 GTR. Rossy, just go with what you prefer the look of.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts