GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Evo's have tarmac(dry)/gravel(wet)/snow

I know the R35 has snow, does it have a gravel(wet) mode similar to evos, for when its heavily raining?

thanks

C

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
On the evo, it's to do with the degree of lock of the centre diff because it's a rally car.

On the GTR it's to do with the throttle mapping and speed of gearchange.

Snow mode is basically a lazy throttle, doubt you'd notice the difference in the others as a function of road condition.

Even in snow mode, it has way too much power for wide tyres on a low grip surface.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Wouldn't the snow mode disable traction control as well?

Traction on and snow means you don't move, no?

Also, IIRC isn't snow mode redundant on earlier (or current) mapped cars?

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Yeah, mine has comfort mode not snow mode.

Comfort never gets used, but like Ad says above, putting the gearbox into comfort mode makes the throttle sloppy and unresponsive, horrible lol.

Talking about traction though, I've never turned mine off, I just leave it in N most of the time and sometimes R when it's dry, which is rare :)

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts

Comfort never gets used, but like Ad says above, putting the gearbox into comfort mode makes the throttle sloppy and unresponsive, horrible lol.

Talking about traction though, I've never turned mine off, I just leave it in N most of the time and sometimes R when it's dry, which is rare :)
Mmmm, you must have a different "comfort" Mode to me then ! My comfort mode is used most of the time and then RRR mode for track use !

There is also a "snow" mode on mine, but have never used it

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts

I think he was refering to the Transmission switch (1st button on the left/closest to passenger seat), on the CBA cars, they had "SNOW" mode, on DBA cars it was renamed to "SAVE" mode. Useful for long motorway driving and when you want to try and save fuel...watch the fuel economy readout on the MDU/info button.. but really feels sluggish (as Adam mentioned lazy accelerator mode).

The other 2 buttons were the same, middle=suspension, far right button/closest to the driver, is the traction.

HTH

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
It is like a woman's button you must spend some time there.:chuckle:

Bobby

·
Premium Member
5,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think he was refering to the Transmission switch (1st button on the left/closest to passenger seat), on the CBA cars, they had "SNOW" mode, on DBA cars it was renamed to "SAVE" mode. Useful for long motorway driving and when you want to try and save fuel...watch the fuel economy readout on the MDU/info button.. but really feels sluggish (as Adam mentioned lazy accelerator mode).

The other 2 buttons were the same, middle=suspension, far right button/closest to the driver, is the traction.

HTH
2012 NISSAN GT-R - VDC, Transmission and Suspension Setup Switches - YouTube

Nissan ^^ says about the left hand button SNOW mode
'this mode should be used for snowy or slippery conditions'

THEN it says the far right button, VDC.. 'in addiction to normal VDC operation, R mode auto adjusts front and rear torque distribution, in the all wheel drive system, for enhanced handling.

press the button down to turn the VDC system off, this mode should only be used to free the vehicle when stuck in snow or mud, it must remain on at all other times.

So, thats sounds like to me, the left hand button, pushed down is for wet/snow conditions?

and the VDC off is used for when you are STUCK in mud/snow

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
Full text from the manual states SAVE mode (in auto):

For long distance driving, this mode helps improve fuel economy by reducing engine output compared to the normal mode.
. The engine response to accelerator operation changes to be less sensitive to pedal movement than the normal mode. The engine speed does not change as quickly for small accelerator pedal position changes.
. This mode controls powertrain torque on snowy roads and slippery surfaces making starting and driving easier.
. When the SAVE mode is selected, the maximum speed is lower than the one in the normal mode.

Snow mode seems as a temporary mode with save&vdc off to free stuck vehicles.

In rain I prefer to keep all the switches to normal, possibly suspension in COMF mode. You always have the option to lower boost via cruise buttons or lower ron map (ecutek)

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
I have some (temporary) very deep gravel where I park the GT-R, the snow mode (& VDC off) is handy for getting off that :thumbsup:

·
Registered
197 Posts
I gave the Save mode a try on the way into work this morning (4am and empty roads).
It's kind the opposite of an S mode on an Audi, very lethargic throttle response but fine for cruising on emptyish roads.

As for the comfort mode, that's all I have used so far as I'm still in my pre optimisation break in.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Mine never leaves R for traction no matter whether wet or dry. Although that said now and the if it's dry with room for some error I'll switch it off, but only if I'm feeling brave lol

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
R R R don't want to get caught with my pants down Lol

Bobby

·
Registered
341 Posts
I thought I read in the manual that engaging snow mode could void the warranty of the car unless you use it briefly to get out of deep snow. Why would that be?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts