GTR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Scott

as family motors and shopping trolleys go (CJ don't forget to tell your mate at work that - it is an old mans car ..keep the faith) it handles like a dream.
And no Scott it does not have understeer...I think Audi have taken quite a lot of time and investment in dialling this out. Trust me I have been in one!!
Don't presume the presumable with one of these.
And yes they are stressed but so are some of those GTRs at Elvington mate.
All I am saying is that the RS4 is a HELL of a car and should be appreciated. Esp with 500 BHP and some serious German engineering and a 3 year warranty!!!
Take one out and you will not believe the GRIP this thing generates.

Have you seen the RS6? Be afriad...480 BHP, 3.7 twin turbo with 540 lbs torque. Now that is a serious motor!!

But I LOVE ME GTR and would not swap for anything at the moment. Top performance for top value.

NLW

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
audi getting thrashed

cj68 here is a 450 bhp audi rs4 getting blown away and

my clutch was fcuked he got off the line better than me

but i was a full second faster at the other end

let your mate see this hope it shuts him up if not get him to crail this weekend i have my new clutch fitted now.

http://formulavauxhall.co.uk/skyline/keith.zip

keith

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
er keith

you have another 100 ponies on top so you would hope.
Still a top run though and good to see you keeping up the side.
11.9 and 120 mph for GTR
12.9 and 107 mph for AUDI

NOW that is a difference to tell your mate at work!! 13 mph over a 1/4 mile and top speed is what it's all about!!
NLW

·
Premium Member
5,954 Posts
it has to be said

The RS4 is without a doubt an awsome car, certainly in the same league as the GTR.

But, like the GTR to get the very best out of it you need to spend some serious money on the thing. Brakes and suspension are the most obvious flaws, after that it's just getting more power out of the engine.

although ultimately I don't think the engines are capable of the 700+ bhp commonly associated with skylines 500+ BHP is quite possibly - and you can sit 5 people and the dog.

It did make me laugh to read the other day on an Audi forum one of the guys with a seriously modded RS4 commented he had managed a 12 or 13s 1/4 with a fridge in the back! (he is an ex GTR owner)

Still if I had the money to spend I'd have both ;)

Simon

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks for that Keith, Oh how enjoyable it was to see.

He fancies a look to crail sometime this month so I will tag along too and hopefully meet up with you.

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
132 Posts
It must be pushed at 500bhp. The std car uses 1.9bar to get its 360.

Hi guys. Had to reply to this one Scott.

1. I would drag my c*ck through broken glas to w*nk in a Nizmo 400R's shadow - my fave car of all time, one day CJ, one day........

2. Afraid a std RS4 uses 0.9bar for 385bhp, and Sportec only take it to around 1.1bar without turbo mods to get to 420ish.

3. Mine has modded turbos, ECU, sports cats & downpipes, 380mm 4 pot calipers front - 320 rear, Sportec suspension, Shortshift, 19x10's and a couple of stickers (always good for 20bhp at the traffic lights) - currently 466bhp & 588nM torque (469bhp on Optimax and Millers) which aint bad for a hairdressers wagon! (and I've got two dogs). BTW this is at 1.4bar max and gives 0-60 in 4.1 secs

4. She will have new bigger intercoolers/intelligent charge cooling/uprated clutch fitted for the end of the month along with some other heat related work. Reckon another 20bhp/20nM at least but more importantly it will begin to realise its "full" bhp on trackdays.

As with you guys and your superb Skylines, us guys and the RS4, ( and we will lag behind in the bhp stakes compared to some of you guys - you have a more room in your engine bay, and on the R33's, have had 7 years to get it right!), are slowly beginning to realise that high bhp and boost do not equate to reliable or even fast motoring unless you tend to the needs of heat/heat dispersion and detonation.

On several trackdays, when she gets hot, the heat is just too much, and the engine management cuts in and saps the power. Little things like removing foglights that block the airflow to the intercoolers help enormously!

Will seriously try to make it to Crail for the end of the month with CJ and his gorgeous Uk R33, and if its OK with you guys will get to some trackdays as well.

BTW congrats for 10 of the best - talk about wiping the floor with the "trailer" trash! - always good to see and like to do it myself.

Andiroo

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hey you, arnt you supposed to be working hard on our next few milliions so I can spend a fortune on my car????????

For the record I read all your technical stuff in that thread and have to say kgbhevrkbugfbwe4gtlwetflcnqlfnalswehe,vfcfn.

You see that makes as much sense to me, as you know.

There are people on this site who will understand all that and Im sure can make some comment as to what you just said and some would love to see you at track days just to whip your ARS 460 and Im desperate to go.

As it is my turn for the next cash injection if you know what I mean then, me thinks that Nizmo 400R has my name on it.

:smokin:

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
6,591 Posts
Andiroo,
I do appologise for the error in boost.
I read 1.9 in EVO, (Usually a motoring bible to trust).:rolleyes:

Either way, your cars tough, but tough enough???...........
I guess you will have to come along to next years 10 of the best.:D :D ;)

Bet the dogs enjoy 4.1 secs of sticking to the back window.:rolleyes:

Its still not a GT-R though.;)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Nice one Scott, thats what I keep telling him.

You should see his dogs, nervous wrecks with no front teeth, and constant bloody noses.

That would be something to see, doing his quarter mile at ten of the best with the dogs in the back, even better with one sticking it head out the passenger window barking at the moon.

·
Registered
132 Posts
No probs Scott, it took us ages to find out for ourselves what the bar figure was, and the car came out late 2000!

I have to agree it aint no Skyline........but if there was an R33 estate, it would be pretty close.

Definately up for 10 of the best or something like that, it would be good to find out the qtr times and top speed.

Andiroo

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
The R33 estate was called the Stagea, and it was the worlds fastest production estate car (at the time)

it is an R33 GTR with an estate bodykit. nice..

have fun

Steve

I think there are some piccies on Ron S's site.

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
Have driven and raced against an RS4, they are seriously well sorted, but they do have failings and chinks in there armour.

Gear changes have to be dliberate and are not snicketty like the GTR and no match for kick-down in an auto, I was climbing all over one on the M4 and had to back off which stuttered the turbos and he left me, they are not responsive in that respect, if you are behind one then you are under their influence and they dictate the pickup speeds, so stay at the side and you will at least stand a chance, I caught the RS up a mile or so later and had then the chance to do a fair kick-off, and I left him for a while, then he started to pull back quite nicely, we slowed again (bloody traffic) and to be fair the guy had a smile about a mile wide, thumbs up and an 'after you' wave, I was running about 340/350hp at the time and he must have been a Std RS4.

They are also 'fidgetty' on long curves, near me is the Newbury by-pass I can run this new piece of road curves and all at 145/150 without slipping or drama, when I drove an RS4 (std) at 120 all was fine, at 130 she started to feel compromised and jittery this is a failing of Perm4 I felt very much on the edge if I pushed her beyond 130. (all speeds in MPH, metres per hour)

Pickup beyond 130 is also degraded by the big frontal area and side winds don't do it any favours either.

But, these are only minor failings in a great car, well all except the long radius high speed stuff.

Go out and kick his ahse, you can but it will be close.

And ffs be careful at any speed worth talking about you are pushing at the edges of the envelope, don't try unless you BOTH really know your cars.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Very good points re the std RS4, have to agree with all of them.

Lucky for me all the Sportec mods iron out the std problems - high speed handling, braking, accelerating from 130 etc etc. Still get a problem from sidewind which is a good point, but now the car is lower it doesnt seem as bad.

Also I think a lot of talk comparing cars at these speeds depends on the people driving them and the amount of bottle and confidence they have. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable taking a std RS4 around a high speed corner (130+), although the mods now bring confidence to do so (ish). To give an example the Esses at Croft I can now take flat out, but before - no chance.

Andiroo

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
andiroo

your car sounds sorted mate and fair play on your comments about the GTR.
I say hats off to audi for having the balls to come out with such a car that is a great feat of engineering in these times of reduced speeds and toned down cars.
I am a big fan of ingolstadts work and they produce some awesome kit...er they got 1,2,3 again this year at Le Mans and we all just watched them pulverise the opposition.
And guess what the bentley that was fourth has an AUDI engine!!
Once you get that cooling sorted then it will fly. I thought the skyline engine bay was crammed...when you open the RS4 bonnet the engine just jumps out an dgrabs you by the neck.

Er what is you reg number by the way...just in case we cross paths!! Just kidding.
Happy motoring

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks for the comments mate, it is pretty crammed aint it. Like I was saying, the cooling problems are at the heart of getting the best out of a modded RS4 - sort them out and sub 4 sec 0-60 here we come!

I'm not sure you need my reg (its on the 1st page piccie anyhow) as you will no doubt see and hear "Noggy Babe" from about half a mile away!

Probably meet at some trackdays? Now thats always fun!

Andiroo

·
Registered
49 Posts
nismo 400r

WOWEE! that is one mother of a beast ... off to buy a lottery ticket now !:D

·
Registered
487 Posts
Yummy

Andiroo & CJ,

Both your cars are stunning motors, no doubt I'll probably see them out and about one day as I am a North East lad...

:smokin:

Gaz.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Audi RSx

I find it frustrating that Audi use the RS models to revive a nearly end of line car like the A4 with the RS4, the 80 with the RS2, and the A6 with RS6. They aren't the only ones to do it (Look how late the RS Focus is), but as a car enthusiast it is frustrating nonetheless. An RS4 based on the new A4 would be very smart :smokin:, but no doubt it is 4-5 years away :rolleyes:

21 - 40 of 61 Posts