Votes: 40 23.1%
  • No, I have no need to join a Skyline Club

Votes: 7 4.0%
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As every Skyline day wears on, so does the need for an official UK Skyline Owners Club. I am currently looking at starting up the club whilst using this forum as its basis.

It seems that the thing most people are crying out for is a members only forum and access / organisation to club and non-club specific events.

The primary offering of this function will be an area within this site that only members of the Club can post in. The benefits of this are numerous, but briefly:
  • Closed area of discussion, promoting and encouraging mature, technical and experienced posts from actual owners of Skylines, trade and industry figures or from users recommended by other members.
  • The organisation and promotion of Club specific events where invitation is extended strictly to Club members and close friends/allies only
  • Trade specific adverts offering deals to members of the Club

On top of this comes the organisation of events, meets and trackdays. As it stands, I've managed to secure alliances with a number of different organisations, predominantly SIDC (Subaru Impreza Drivers Club) and RS4.org (UK Audi RS4 owners club). The list of allies will grow as I continue to approach other brands. Together with trackdays, there's a lot of movement within the Club scene on events such as Trax, TOTB and Billing. All these events need some form of planning and Club presence.

Depending on interest within the club, then we will accomodate as much as we can towards the organisation of these events and the active pursuit of maintaining the high profile of the Skyline.

I am also able to offer [email protected] email addresses, again, depending on price and uptake.

Bear in mind the following:
  • The GTR Register Club will not be a GTR specific Club. Membership will consist of all Skyline variants.
  • Proof of ownership will be required to be a registered owner of the Club
  • A reduced rate will be offered to honourary members, or those that don't have Skylines but would like to enrol in some Club activity. Remember that they will have access to the forum, but will not be able to take part in many Skyline events, such as Trax etc.

To turn these provisional ideas into reality, I need a check on how many people are willing to commit to this. Prices are still unconfirmed as they will largely depend on how many members we plan on collating. The more people that enrol, then the greater the chance of being able to use our numbers to help us book major events.

Finally, please make your votes count. I have switched on the facility to read the votes on this thread and know who's posted. Although it's non-commiting, I do want to see this vote as a clear indication of your intentions.

Look forward to your thoughts and votes.

CemK

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Cem,

I have voted - hope you dont mind. Wasnt really sure where abouts I stood with not being an owner, but would be interested in supporting the club.

Remove my vote if it doesnt fit in.

Cheers
Lee

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lee,

Not at all.
Non Skyline owners are more than welcome to join the club as honourary members.

You have been extremely active within the community of late and the Club will only benefit with your presence.

As long as you know that certain events will be Skyline only, such as Trax.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Cem,
tried to vote, kept getting this;

vBulletin Message
The action you have attempted could not be performed as your session appears to be invalid. Click the below link to attempt this action again with a new session.
Try this action again!

Excellent idea, and much needed, definately would join.
Tobes

·
Following EJH#25
6,843 Posts
Cem,

I think it would be a good idea and hope that you get enough people interested/involved to progress it further.
This site has already seen many improvements, and has become part of many peoples daily activities.
Keep up the good work;)

Matt.

·
Registered
364 Posts
hi all,what about things such as insurance schemes if owners had an insurance scheme within the club then i'm sure you'ed have alot of interest as most insurers would discount due to high numbers coming from the same source.just an idea,but i must say i'd join the club even without it.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Cem,

great idea, sooner the better.

Tobes,

I have the same problem you describe when trying to vote using AOL, but by signing in using MS OUTLOOK it works fine.

regards

Dave

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
I am already a member of a 'closed' owners club (LSOC), my experience is that it is a good thing, but can get a little 'stale' perhaps 'open days' for the non-members would solve this.

I post here because this is an open forum.

I won't vote as I see this as a Skyline/GTiR/Pulsar issue.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Hi all

ive voted yes as would be up for that

lee

·
Registered
241 Posts
Ill become a member,

But same as Daz ive got a GTiR, but i do have a micra too (dont hold it against me !)... and hopefuly 1 day i will own a skyline... as for the insurance thing Chris Knott do a lot of club insurance if thats of any help (pm me for more info !)... I just hope that because the way the forum (club) is at the mo (wich is good), i hope it dosent go like some other clubs ive been involved with.

·
Registered
766 Posts
i do not own a Skyline, and it will probably be at least 10 years before i will be able to won one (im only 17). i would still like to join the club, but only if the fee is reasonable, as a student's money does not stretch very far.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Cem

Somehow I knew this would happen after the flames with some unworthy newcomer.

I came through this board thanks to my true interest in sports cars and the skyline,and it was also before getting in touch with DCD,and knowing he owns a BNR34(and that he's Italian...)

I totally agree with Mycroft when he says that things can get a little "stale" in a members-only board,but honestly,I reckon that my actual occupation(student),and knowledge,can bring little contribution to the board.

I always paid attention during this months of presence not to waste bandwidth with useless 3Ds(also when it comes to jokes:) ),and really appreciated all technical info I could get.

In conclusion,I see little point of me joining the club,but at the same time,I think it would be a shame if i miss anything from Gio's power figures to Somberg's results at Nur 24 h event or his achievements in weight-shedding....
I exchanged words with some of you lately and enjoyed it...

I didn't vote yet and I'm waiting for fee info....

ciao

Romo

·
Registered
263 Posts
GT-R Register

Having read all the above, (and will continue to read this thread for a while yet) a few thoughts occur to me;
One of the aims of such a club is to raise the awareness of The Skyline, in its various guises but that is not to say non owners should be alienated, to that end i do feel that a solely members only forum wouldn't be a good idea, some users to this forum don't have a Skyline but their advise and input should not be underestimated, and that idea is already getting negative feeling, i've not long been here, but there are certain threads i'll look at because i see particular names, and i assure you they're not all Skyline owners.
That said i do appreciate the need for some exclusivity for the owners, so could some specific forums only be accessable by members/owners, similar to the "Meeting And Events" on here, when you're not logged in, it doesn't appear, that way, all should be happy. Yes ? :)
Honarary members (Non Skyline owners) should be accepted if put forward and seconded by an existing member, and obviously the final word should lie with the powers that be (Cem, DCD, Guy, JasonO and PeterE)
I cannot see the point of I_Romo and some others who live abroad joining a club which they can in no way benefit, but that in no way detracts from their input, or enthusiasm, so maybe there should be a "Free" membership to overseas subscribers, fair enuf ?? :D
Maybe only Skyline owners can be "Full" members, all others can be "Honarary", "Invited" or "Overseas" members, (with membership costs to be discussed) i think that covers all eventualities, anyone else think of a group i have missed ??
Oh, and finally for now (i've gotta go out) maybe just "Club Skyline" or "Skyline Register" would be more encouraging to a wider range of owners, i personally would think twice about joining a GT-R Register if i owned a GT-S etc.

Have copied the 'Charter' from http://www.gtr.co.uk below and was wondering if the car sticker is still in the offing ??

Club Aims:
To establish a recognised UK GTR Owners Club
To promote the GTR (and other performance Skylines)
Non-profit making Club run for the benefit of members
Run GTR Website and Forum (with free access)
Organise events
Dyno Days
Track Days
Club Displays
Club Meetings
Foreign Trips

Membership Costs:
TBA

Membership Privileges
Only members may book paid Club Events
Unique Membership number, with members card
Individual members page with car photo & details, (accessible only by members)
Discounts with external suppliers (tyres etc)
GTR Owners Club Vehicle Sticker
Members only area on discussion forum

Overall though i do feel it's about time a recognised body should be established, if nothing else, there'll never be a Top Gear "article" as cr*p as last Sunday.
That's all.
Tobes.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts