GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure to ask without to step on toes.

Can I ask what the history is on gtr.co.uk?
How did it start out and etc etc? I heard that it was once a forum with a couple people and everyone knew everyone?
Who is from the start of this now infamous site?

Just wanted to know...

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like an archive I can read and watch, its intresting to see peoples acheivements like blowdogs website. I understand that Cem took over gtr register?

·
Real men use a H-Pattern.
12,033 Posts
Do a search on the forum for a start. The early pages are still here. If you can't be arsed.....gtr.co.uk was started by David Yu, who owned an R32 GT-R at the time. He sold that and bought an R33 GT-R which was one of the Long Term Test cars in EVO Magazine. That car was seriously modified. David sold the site to Joss Ellis who subsequently started the forum in 2001, I believe. Then Cem bought the site/forum. The real gtr.co.uk site is no longer really active but can be found on the web if you look. The GTROC was started in late 2002, early 2003 as far as I remember and was bourn out of the Skyline owners in the Group B car club. I joined straight away.

Default page for joss.ellis

...click on GTR Register.

I think that's more or less it. I'm sure Cem can correct me.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow.... thank you moleman, very intresting,
more...

Had clarkson owned a skyline? The register has come a long way.

Oh and I did do a search, a big search and read alot of intresting insites.

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
6,599 Posts
Sorry to disagree with you Moleman.

The original GT-R Register was started by Joss Ellis, a computer expert, who was a friend of David Yu's and fellow GT-R owner.

Joss eventually sold the Register to Cem because of work commitments/a promotion. Cem was the one who bought the GTR.co.uk domain name.

The GTROC was started by Cem, Guy, Fuggles, Peter, Claire, Shin and myself one 3rd Jan 03 at the Skyline Sheriton Hotel near Heathrow.

I used to contribute to Josses original Register 7 or 8 years ago now.
There are very few of us left from the original site, not that post regularly anyway. :(

Boy has time flown by.

I think that's more or less it. I'm sure Cem can correct me.
Cem had an Impreza the first time I met him. Bloody 'Johnny-come-lately'! :rolleyes: ;)

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow... very intresting. Am I right that GTROC 005 means your the fifth to joing? Look how many have joinned today, the members list just goes on and on.

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
6,599 Posts
Well, the first seven were us founding members on day one:
(001 Cem, 002 Guy, 003 Fuggles, 004 Peter, 005 Scott, 006 Claire, 023 Shin).
Give in no particular order except Shin wanted 23.

Currently we are up to #392 with 221 2006 members.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Well, the first seven were us founding members on day one:
(001 Cem, 002 Guy, 003 Fuggles, 004 Peter, 005 Scott, 006 Claire, 023 Shin).
Give in no particular order except Shin wanted 23.

Currently we are up to #392 with 221 2006 members.
Always nice to know where it stated, but more importantly where we're going.

SOT, I guess its about time i became a paid up member, Scott can i have membership number 777?

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
6,599 Posts

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
6,599 Posts
Really? I genuinly thought that David Yu started the website. You live and learn. Cheers.
Im pretty sure it was Joss as he had the computer skills.
Maybe Daivd started the 'club' and Joss added the Register.

Hmmmm. I'll have to contact an old timer to clear this up.

Wroestar?????????? :)

·
Registered
529 Posts
Old timer reporting in!

Hello everyonehttp://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/images/smilies/new/clap.gif
:clap:
I'm back...well never been away really....resting (financially so to speak)
Thanks for the email Scott, and thanks for the old timer bit
Anyway, an interesting thread.
I've known David Yu for quite a few years...we worked in the same company, but in different offices. I got to know him when I bought Simon Pimblett's Lancia Integrale (see Simon's writings in Auto Journals). At the time david also had an Integrale and he also lived in Ealing. We both had an interest in cars. David moved onto a 308 Ferrari and a Corvette before turning up in his Blue R32 GTR in 1995. I totally fell in love with this car after we did the filming with Clarkson at Bruntingthorpe......(If you see Jos's website, I'm the idiot that took the photo of his speedo at 178mph!). So after that I had to have one too, so I imported, coincidentally, a blue R32 GTR in 1996.....that car is now owned by my good friend Rick (wingnut). I myself now own Cem's old BB R34 GTR.....although she's been in mothballs for the best part of 2 years now(don't go there!!)
At about the same time as the Bruntingthorpe trip David got together with Jos. I'm not sure of the origins of their friendship. Jos had "Big Blue" at the time, a monster powder blue R32 GTR with a Nismo crash box! I think that ended up in Ireland. David and Jos set up the "club" if you could call it that, with Jos setting up the website due to his IT skills. The first official meeting was put together by David phoning everyone, and we met at the Royal Standard pub near Beaconsfield. There were about 7 or 8 cars there I think. Its difficult now to imagine how rare these cars were. Now more often than not you will get an admiring glance from someone who knows the car, but then it was more of a puzzled double take followed by a WTF!
I hope that sheads a bit more light
I'll keep watching you all, and I'll be back in the not too distant future
Regards
Jon
AKA wroestar

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
Hello everyonehttp://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/images/smilies/new/clap.gif
:clap:
I'm back...well never been away really....resting (financially so to speak)
Thanks for the email Scott, and thanks for the old timer bit
Anyway, an interesting thread.
I've known David Yu for quite a few years...we worked in the same company, but in different offices. I got to know him when I bought Simon Pimblett's Lancia Integrale (see Simon's writings in Auto Journals). At the time david also had an Integrale and he also lived in Ealing. We both had an interest in cars. David moved onto a 308 Ferrari and a Corvette before turning up in his Blue R32 GTR in 1995. I totally fell in love with this car after we did the filming with Clarkson at Bruntingthorpe......(If you see Jos's website, I'm the idiot that took the photo of his speedo at 178mph!). So after that I had to have one too, so I imported, coincidentally, a blue R32 GTR in 1996.....that car is now owned by my good friend Rick (wingnut). I myself now own Cem's old BB R34 GTR.....although she's been in mothballs for the best part of 2 years now(don't go there!!)
At about the same time as the Bruntingthorpe trip David got together with Jos. I'm not sure of the origins of their friendship. Jos had "Big Blue" at the time, a monster powder blue R32 GTR with a Nismo crash box! I think that ended up in Ireland. David and Jos set up the "club" if you could call it that, with Jos setting up the website due to his IT skills. The first official meeting was put together by David phoning everyone, and we met at the Royal Standard pub near Beaconsfield. There were about 7 or 8 cars there I think. Its difficult now to imagine how rare these cars were. Now more often than not you will get an admiring glance from someone who knows the car, but then it was more of a puzzled double take followed by a WTF!
I hope that sheads a bit more light
I'll keep watching you all, and I'll be back in the not too distant future
Regards
Jon
AKA wroestar
Welcome back old timer:)

Dave

Member # 15

1 - 20 of 39 Posts