GTR Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Ooo Matron !
1,988 Posts
For some strange reason, pressing the damn button doesn't seem to have been considered?
You mean to de-activate the fob so that it does not respond? I.e. an on/off switch on the fob. That indeed would be the simplest solution.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Once the signal boost your fob frequency it'll basically be exactly the same as your keys functionality, so they'll be able to press unlock on there device and open the car and then press start and go. Keyless cars are the cars they target... Easy pickings no effort required at all. With the Ghost fitted the only thing they can do is unlock your car.
Which means they can piss on your seat and in the footwell. This happened to me once after my stereo got pinched, I'd rather they took the car as I couldn't get rid of the smell of piss, must have been stolen by a rhino or something. It eventually got burnt out in Chatham, which bizarrely, still drove, but the burnt smell was worse than the piss.

·
Premium Member
5,788 Posts
You mean to de-activate the fob so that it does not respond? I.e. an on/off switch on the fob. That indeed would be the simplest solution.
Sounds positive, but wouldnt the security boffins have thought of this already?

·
Ooo Matron !
1,988 Posts
Sounds positive, but wouldnt the security boffins have thought of this already?
I was thinking about that. The trouble is that it relies on the owner pressing the on/off button. So if the car is stolen they could say "well, I pressed the button" and blame the manufacturer and no one could ever know if that was true or not.

Of course, that's no more the case of not using a key to lock your car and then blaming the manufacturer.

But, here's a question: Society is very big on "victim blaming". But if your car is stolen or your house is burgled and it's found that you left the doors/windows open etc then your insurance company will not pay up; i.e. the victim is blamed for the theft. (I know I'm wandering from the point somewhat).

·
Vendor
6,180 Posts
Indeed. The code changes every time as you say. So in non-keyless type of lock, the key sends a code (which changes every time) when you press the key fob button and then the car verifies said code. Therefore, it's not possible to capture the code and use it later (which used the be the case on early remote locking).

But from what Takamo says another device can initiate the sending of the code, and only the car knows what code to send. So I assume it's initially a simple frequency to activate the challenge/response exchange of codes.
The code for the vehicle immobiliser is a fixed code and the code for the remote locking part maybe or is a rolling which changes every time its used. The thieves only need it once to replicate the key functionality for both unlocking the vehicle and for starting it, once they've taken it then they can program a new key into the system and it'll work just fine like your key.

·
Vendor
6,180 Posts
The key fob cloning method used nowheredays doesn't require you pressing any buttons on your fob, the thieves can simply scan the key frequency from inside your home whilst your watching gogglebox... Lol

·
Premium Member
5,788 Posts
I was thinking about that. The trouble is that it relies on the owner pressing the on/off button.
so simply, as enthusiasts we don't want our cars to be nicked, forget the manufacturer who aint doing nowt!.. disable the "door button" and lets go old school and use the key to open the door.... as until now 2019 that'a still reasonably secure.

Security experts - (Given this is an open forum) One would hope the keys are secure per car, as in the last 50 years of cars manufacture

·
Vendor
6,180 Posts
so simply, as enthusiasts we don't want our cars to be nicked, forget the manufacturer who aint doing nowt!.. disable the "door button" and lets go old school and use the key to open the door.... as until now 2019 that'a still reasonably secure.

Security experts - (Given this is an open forum) One would hope the keys are secure per car, as in the last 50 years of cars manufacture
If they can't unlock your car via the cars button but can disarm the factory alarm by replicating your key then all they will do is pop the window and get it, start the car and drive away, I've seen many vehicles especially VAG group cars where they've done just that unless it's had the ghost immobiliser or some other form of aftermarket security system installed. Disableing the door entry button won't stop them if they know the factory alarm is disabled. Trust me when I say this I've had 5 gtrs now and several other vehicles over the years which were very nice and the ghost immobiliser system is the only device which successfully does what it says on the tin as they say. Best investment you'll ever make.

·
Registered
219 Posts
If they can't unlock your car via the cars button but can disarm the factory alarm by replicating your key then all they will do is pop the window and get it, start the car and drive away, I've seen many vehicles especially VAG group cars where they've done just that unless it's had the ghost immobiliser or some other form of aftermarket security system installed. Disableing the door entry button won't stop them if they know the factory alarm is disabled. Trust me when I say this I've had 5 gtrs now and several other vehicles over the years which were very nice and the ghost immobiliser system is the only device which successfully does what it says on the tin as they say. Best investment you'll ever make.
The Ghost costs next to nothing when you're buying a GTR. Its a no brainer based on my car jacking experience.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts