GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, newbie here.

hope everyone is well and staying safe.

Just a quick question about how good is the standard security on the 19/20 GTR? Has anyone upgraded? Or is the standard security good enough?
I live in a pretty nice part of London, In a flat with underground car park, but I do occasionally park on the roadside across my flat.

There’s not much car crime in the area, but i will be travelling to S, SE London quite a bit as my parents live there.
Not saying S isn’t safe but it’s London so you’ll never know.

I don’t have the car yet, due to covid, but I should be getting it soon.

any advice would be great.

Many thanks.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
I wouldn't say its crap (or worse than other OEM fitments) but its always best to have a combination of security on your car, not just the standard alarm/immobiliser.

Simple stuff like locking wheel nuts, additional immobiliser, steering wheel lock, decent tracker etc all help provide extra piece of mind and slow down anyone trying to steal and then have it away without drama. Oh, and keep the keys (both sets) in those anti-theft RFID pouch thingy's.

·
Registered
55 Posts
is the standard Nissan security crap then?
Not crap. But they are expensive cars and sought after. No matter how good the security, if someone gets your keys, they can take it. Rab (takamo) can make it so even with the keys, they’re not going anywhere 😉

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldn't say its crap (or worse than other OEM fitments) but its always best to have a combination of security on your car, not just the standard alarm/immobiliser.

Simple stuff like locking wheel nuts, additional immobiliser, steering wheel lock, decent tracker etc all help provide extra piece of mind and slow down anyone trying to steal and then have it away without drama. Oh, and keep the keys (both sets) in those anti-theft RFID pouch thingy's.
most of what you mentioned i believe is standard on the car

Not crap. But they are expensive cars and sought after. No matter how good the security, if someone gets your keys, they can take it. Rab (takamo) can make it so even with the keys, they’re not going anywhere 😉

Thanks All, really appreciate the help.

once I get the car I may consider upgrading the security, like I mentioned it’s pretty safe And quiet where I live, seen a few high value cars parked on the roadSide (sometime with the sunroof semi open) and apart from People taking photos nothing much else.

Guess I just wanted just a bit of reassurance from people who actually own one.

·
Administrator
31,560 Posts
If it’s a question you felt the need to ask, then get the Ghost for peace of mind.

·
Administrator
31,560 Posts
have A quick search. It’s the go to peice of GTR security.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
The Ghost immobiliser is worth having for sure. I also think a good steering lock that covers the entire wheel (Disklok small) is a useful deterrent. The standard fit tracker isn't all that - I run an additional one to ensure when it needs to work, it does what it should.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tbh, I’ve never really thought too much about The security on any of my previous car, as I always believe the standard Security were good enough, And the area I live in seem very safe from car theft.
My current car which is driven by my GF (Hence why I need a new car) has no extra security, and I’ve had it since 2013 And not a scratch,...

but for some reason I feel if I do end up getting the GTR I’ll needs extra security, maybe I’m being a bit Paranoid...😔😔😔

·
Registered
698 Posts
You can never be too careful. The week I bought my 35 I also installed a ram post at the top of my driveway and a camera system just for the car in the car port and driveway, I also park whatever work vehicle I have at the top in front of my own cars.

Disk locks are a proven visual deterrent.
Ghost is a very well known and proven security system.

One of the insurance companies I spoke to recently would only offer a policy if the car was on a Gated driveway, that was a new one to me!

·
Vendor
6,330 Posts
When your ready you can give me a call 07973733441 and I'll talk you through the various options. As for the standard so called alarm its as useful as a chocolate tea pot, you could be standing next to it going off and unfortunately your mobile phone ringing will be louder.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So essentially it’s like entering a pin on a mobile, Also would it void the warranty?
it does look amazing 😊

·
Vendor
6,330 Posts
Yes, you choose the code yourself from the buttons in car available, not all the buttons work,and no it doesn't affect warranty.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I am surprised the security is claimed to be so poor. Is Nissan in it's own league?
Remember getting aftermarket security installed on my 200SX back in the days, but havent bothered with such measures for the past 20 years or so.
Has UK gone MadMax? Can't recall ever hearing of a stolen Nissan GT-R here in Sweden.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
So essentially it’s like entering a pin on a mobile, Also would it void the warranty?
it does look amazing 😊
Call Chris Preston at Immobiliser Direct (07956 135770). He will fit it at the dealership or at your house or at his unit in Northampton. He regularly goes into London and can fit the Ghost and any other tracker you want.
I can highly recommend him.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Vehicle security is poor with pretty much all brands.Only now are manufacturers starting to wake up and implement measures (e.g. key fobs that switch off). But it was inaction for so long that Ghost was designed, developed, released and gain a massive following.

Ultimately I don't trust OEM security and would go Ghost 100% of the time. Ghost has the benefit that if the keys are taken without consent (possible with desirable cars) then the car still won't start.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts