GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, as said in the title,thinking of making this change next year maybe! Has anyone done it firstly,if so any regrets? I no It's not going to have the raw acceleration or handling but I fancy a change for some reason and that's my next favourite option. Also I'm guessing the upkeep may be allittle more?

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
The new V10 DSG R8 is absolutely mental. Might not be as fast as the GTR but certainly a good change up!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There won't be nothing new about it mate, il only have a 50k budget! I need to test drive one before I make my decision I think, not used to driving a car without a turbo! I see litchfield doing a twin turbo convertion couple of months ago, that would be awesome!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Twin turbo conversion for r8 is £20k+ ... The new plus s tronic gearbox is great, older gearboxes feel laggy... Manual best way to go, v10 sounds amazing can get some 09/59 coupes for £55-60k

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm scrapping the barrel at 50 and I would have to get an auto coz that's all I can drive for certain reasons so do you think I should forget that idea? Do you no what power you can get from the V8's Matt?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Im thinking of making the same change with around the same budget pretty soon. Im yet to drive one but have viewed a few recently at dealers and they are a very nice car. Im not too bothered about the step backward in performance,part of the reason im bored with the GTR is that i can very rarely use the performance available and for normal use it doesn't feel special anymore which is leaving me feel a little short changed.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Mate the R8 is a lovely motor. Had the pleasure of driving a V10 and if I had the money at the time wouldn't have thought twice about buying it.

Not driven the V8 but in guessing it's some what lacking in the performance stakes compared to the V10. That said mate, it's not all about the go and they do sound awesome.

I believe andrew who had a 650r made the swap so I'm sure he will be a long soon to advise. I'm led to believe he really liked the R8 but on the flip side there's Goldie who had a brand new v10 and hated it lol.

Go have a drive fella and see what you think.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's exactly what I'm thinking, my cars a weekend car and trying to use 600 ponies on British roads is tricky to say the least! Think I would want more than 430 tho so would have to mod allittle more.lol

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sound advise mate, yea would be good to hear what he has to say, can't believe Goldie hated a V10 and sold it for a GTR,just goes to show the caliber of these nissans!!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Sound advise mate, yea would be good to hear what he has to say, can't believe Goldie hated a V10 and sold it for a GTR,just goes to show the caliber of these nissans!!
The R8 was the second worse car I've ever bought,, V10 £115K in white with carbon everything,, it was a bucket of shite,, to many things wrong with it to post on here, but at 50k I don't know where that stretches to a V10.
It's really get in one and have a drive, auto gearboxes were dreadful on early cars,, the V8 is hugely under powered, but as you say it's not for speed,
Although I hated it for picking it up new, they are still a fantastic looking car. Shame the build quality didn't match the looks,
It was that bad Audi gave me a full refund and wouldn't build me a yellow replacement because of the quality issues,,
Regards Goldie

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice one Goldie, that's made my mind up, if I did leave the GTR it would have to be for something really special, your right they do look and sound the part but I would have to buy a older one and it's not worth the risk. Cheers for the advice

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Manual tho yea? Don't want to buy a older model with a iffy auto box. For 50k I want something bulletproof like my current GTR!

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Well had a chance to drive the V8 R8 (manual) and whilst it's certainly an occasion it does cry out for a little bit more power. I image the V10 would be a hoot though!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I think having a £50k budget for r8 v10 is like buying a Gtr for 30k your in the low end of the market and will be buying a car with potentially needing a service, tyres, brakes, low spec etc etc

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
The manual cars are definitely cheaper than the autos, even though on the older cars the auto box is awful and so laggy! Gtr gear changes are lightning compared to r8 r-tronic however the new v10 plus s tronic box is significantly better. But for £100k I'd rather be in a 458, mp4-12c or even gallardo superleggera.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts