GTR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

firstly i appologise if this has been talked about already but i cannot find any hard and fast rules so here goes

I have the chance of doing a track day next week however is it permissible or not can we only go on Nissan arranged events ?

Do we have to have pre/after flight checks

Is my warranty at risk ?

Thanks
T

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Pre track inspection - recommended but not mandatory
Post track inspection - mandatory to ensure everything is still good and to reinstate warranty which is cancelled whilst on track (in theory).

Many have tracked without any issues - just avoid revving to the limiter and watch out for the tranny fluid temperature exceeding 120 as that will mean an expensive fluid change!

D

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
What are the "conditions?"!

HI everyone just to add to this post...

Does anyone know what the conditions are that mean you have "tracked" the car?

For example, if you got to Santa pod (or any drag strip) and have a few runs do you need to get the post inspection done? Also what is the difference with a drap strip and say having a few blasts at some traffice lights?

Also I can understand if you are going to Sliverstone etc or a deadicated track day you would "need" to have the post inspection done, but what about "excited" driving on the back roads etc? Can the temps get hugh enough on the road tp warrent a post check etc?

Another example would be somewhere like Ford test track in Essex, which is are 2 straight joined byt to banked ends. If you were to go there an have a few laps how does that compare?

Thanks,
Shaun

·
Registered
669 Posts
I have chosen to not do the Pre-inspection, this was also the recomendation of my HPC, West Way Oxford.

I have not bothered with the post-inspection after trips to Santa Pod or after sprints which typically involve 4 single laps of a track with long breaks betweeen runs. As you say these are not much different than a bit of spirited road driving...

I have done a post-inspection after a half track day at Goodwood. I think you will find that on any track day involving multiple laps without a break that your Transmission oil will go over 110 Degrees which then means an oil change within 1800 miles. Mine when over twice each time with only 7 laps including the warm up and cool down lap.

I chose to have all the fluids changed after the Goodwood Track day, car was on 2500 miles. West Way were very good on this and only charged for the Inspection and the various Oil's, no additional labour charge to change them.

That said this oil change policy is a real pain and will severly limit the number of track days I do. The Master Tech reported that all the oils were still very new looking with very few filings attached to the drain plugs.

Not sure that you can use the words Track Day & taking it easy in the same sentance? :chuckle:

Rich

·
Premium Member
8,835 Posts
Hey Sumo, never got mine post inspected after Brunters ! LOL. Hope you enjoyed that little lap, will be at Bedford on 31st if you wanted to come along

·
Registered
52 Posts
The Master Tech reported that all the oils were still very new looking with very few filings attached to the drain plugs.
Now that is an interesting report since, as far as I'm aware, the tranny drain plug does not have a magnet.;) They're offered by several shops though. Or was he perhaps talking about the diffs?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Probably my mistake rather than his. I just asked were there many filings without knowing that not all had a magnetic drain plug.

Rich

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
At the recent Bruntingthorp charity event (see Gallery for details) a lot of Nissan GTRs were present and none experienced any problems. Transmission temperature was monitored and stayed well within parameters even though this was in less than ideal conditions - hot day, very long straight, stop-start due to nature of the event. Obviously because this was a charity passenger ride experience day it was not a track day :)

·
Premium Member
8,835 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts