1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I would go with them liking the RS aswell

·
Registered
680 Posts
Bit of a stupid pairing to be comparing.

I reckon they will pick the RS too, just because it is British yadda yadda revo knuckle blah blah

·
Registered
556 Posts
I wonder how long the tyres would last on the RS. Didn't Fifth Gear do a spirited drive uphill with the RS? I think they were trying to show the really good bits on the RS, but the amount of tyre wear on the FF drivetrain was just not pretty.

Too bad Ford didn't really make the RS to be 4WD from the start.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
They couldn't suffer the weight penalty of adding 4wd - the car weights about 1500kg already and 4wd would add 200kg to that.

The engine power would need to be 350bhp to make up for that which is beyond the reliability threshold of the engine and more importantly the gearbox (which means torque in 1st and 2nd gears is already limited in 300bhp form).

D

·
Through the Night
4,267 Posts
Total dumb test ,whats the point ? They are not in the same class ,so how can you compare ? It's not like someone is thinking of wether to go for a GTR or a focus.

·
Registered
556 Posts
And people complain the GTR is heavy ;)

3.8TT with complex AWD, 20" rims and rubber, huge brakes, user adjustable suspension on-the-fly and DSG for < 1.8tonnes with a fair amount of creature comforts.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
The Ford Locus has a bigger boot:D

+ it can be driven with ESP off without loosing the warranty:chuckle:

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Neither is the new Mini but everyone still crows about it's "Britishness"

Going to be the same in this instance too!!;)
Do they? I hadn't noticed. Mini used to be a British company, unlike Ford. You're mistake ;)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Do they? I hadn't noticed. Mini used to be a British company, unlike Ford. You're mistake ;)
people do talk about it a bit
the mini although made in britain was designed by BMW in germany
the ford focus although an american company i think its designed (dont know about built) in britain
depends on your point of view

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Again, I hadn't noticed.

Mini used to be a British company. It was a British car then.

Everyone I've ever spoken to knows its not anymore.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Are they really comparing these two cars?!
Agree with the above post, why would someone after a gtr decide 'no I'll think I'll take the focus'...

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
I agree it doesn't make sense but I'll be keen to read what they have to say. Surly thats the point.

·
Registered
29 Posts
well there's a new hot hatch and it's supposed to be pretty good, so they pit it against the GTR which is the new benchmark. Where the RS has moved the game on in it's class, so has the GTR, (well technically I'd say the GTR has made it's own class :cool: )

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,189 Posts
Again, I hadn't noticed.

Mini used to be a British company. It was a British car then.

Everyone I've ever spoken to knows its not anymore.
Sorry to be a pedant but Mini was never a British company. It was made by a British company. It was the Germans (via BMW) who decided that the model (Mini) should become the marque (MINI).

None the less as interesting as the Focus is it is an odd car to compare to the GTR. I guess that as the magazines seem to have decided that the RS is better than the Evo and STI the GTR is the next in line.

·
Registered
297 Posts
wasnt the best time round the ring 8:16 for the RS or something like that, and that was after some serious trying and practice. Shouldnt even be compared to the GTR IMO.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts