GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone did aircon regas recently?

i went to have mine regassed but the garage said they cannot do it anymore as the one i have is already illegal and banned here in the UK (being a jap import car)

i went to another garage for second opinion, and they said they can do it if get the adaptor. is it this one --- ebay item no. 231265946718 or
R12 to R134a Air Con Regas Gas Recharge Adaptor Screw On Fitting With Dust Cap | eBay

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Yes you have r12 gas which is illegal and you need r12 to r134a adapters so it can be re gassed to r134a.
A good garage should be able to do that for you but as i found out with skylines they just look under the bonnet and say no computer says no lol

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hehe i was so pissed off with the lady who booked me in. she took my details including the make and model of the car. drove the car there, took me 35mins to drive and the mechanic said "no"! i was thinking of asking her to pay for my petrol! but naaaaaahh....i aint ruinning my day lol

so i should buy this adaptor from ebay, yes?

thanks bud

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^ RK is 3.5hrs away from me =( i think its impractical for me to go there just for a re-gas.
are you still using your original a/c or you did conversion already?

·
Registered
189 Posts
As above,

The old gas that use to be used is r12. It has CFCs in it or something. The new gas is r134a . The old r12 has to be vacuumed out and disposed of properly, and then new gas pumped in. I would think anyone who does aircon should be set up for this, as it must be common. They are in Oz at least.

Next aircon place you ring, tell them you have the old r12 in it and need the new r134a.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
^^ RK is 3.5hrs away from me =( i think its impractical for me to go there just for a re-gas.
are you still using your original a/c or you did conversion already?
I think it had the change already.
It's not a difficult thing to do. Not sure why you are being told otherwise.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^^ this is the first time im having a re-gas. do i have to remove the old gas first or i can top it up with r134a straight away? how much for the halfrauds a/c kit?

·
Registered
160 Posts
They need to evac the r12 out completely, into a bottle that's under vacuum. They can then re-gas the system with R134a. It's worth getting the system charged with nitrogen first, with the dye that glows under UV light so they can see leaks. Once they are happy then they evac the system and charge it with R134a and the correct additives to keep the compressor happy. The newer refrigerant has a smaller molecular size compared with gtr bad old R12, and is more prone to leak out. HTH :)

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
They need to evac the r12 out completely, into a bottle that's under vacuum. They can then re-gas the system with R134a. It's worth getting the system charged with nitrogen first, with the dye that glows under UV light so they can see leaks. Once they are happy then they evac the system and charge it with R134a and the correct additives to keep the compressor happy. The newer refrigerant has a smaller molecular size compared with gtr bad old R12, and is more prone to leak out. HTH :)
Spot on.

If you get stuck then I know a company in West Sussex that can do it for you but any good workshop with A/C re-gassing facilities should be able to do it for you.

Cheers
Stu

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'd guess that product is a hydrocarbon based refrigerant.
In Aus the re-gas industry is trying very hard too have this removed from sale, since as the ad suggests, it's a DIY. (if you have the equipment)
Anyone can purchase LPG (for the bar-b etc) and this refrigerant is similarly based, so at present one can buy it at most spare parts outlets.
For an older vehicle that was running R12, this stuff is the go.
The system will run lower head pressure thus the compressor gets an easier life.
Anyone with an R32 on R134A knows it's nowhere near as efficient as it was on R12.
Of course it's flammable, but we do drive around with 70-odd litres of flammable petrol and even R134A is flammable once its mixed with compressor oil and sprayed from a busted hose onto a hot turbo.
In Aus it's trade name is Hychill and most people would not realise it's used in nearly all domestic freezers, fridges and such these days.
I only discovered it after speaking with the blokes on the vintage forums where they use it in their old Jags etc.
For a DIY you'd need to buy a vacuum pump and the manifold with gauges, so the e-bay ad is a little misleading.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
went to kwikfit who told me they can regas my a/c long as i have the r12 to r134a adaptor. guess what?? they said they dont know how much gas the skylines need so asked me if i can research about it and come back anytime when i already have the info! brilliant!!!! :flame::runaway::mad:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts