GTR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,
I have a hopefully little problem, Has anyone experianced this themselves and found a cure please...????.

The car will run really crisp and responsive one minute and all of a sudden dull off and loose its crispness and a small amount of power....
I have had the cas replaced and tested....Had both Airflow meters re-soldered and tested....
The car will start on the button and run fine,But as mentioned...Just go off the boil and stay that way untill i reset the ecu....It will be then fine for a while and come back again perhaps the following day....

I have`nt had any ecu lights light or any signs of anything visual going on....I also noticed the fuel consumption also got worse when the problem arises...???

Has anyone else come across this problem or any suggestions please...????..Perhaps a faulty Lambda sensor...????

Thanks guys in advance....Kev.

·
Official GTR.co.uk Photographer
2,671 Posts
last time i had some thing like that was when the car kept trying to go into safe mode because of a bearing letting go but i had a red light on for that .

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that Jaycabs...Oil pressure is fine.....It feels like something like a O2 sensor perhaps....Kevo.

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
defo sounds like a fault is making the car go into safe mode.
Never seen a list of what faults cause safe (get home) mode to activate.
If you have a factory ecu, it can display a fault code for the fault found.
Years since I have had a factory ecu so cannot remember how to do it but IIRC there was a screw on the ecu that had to be turned round and then an LED displays a code (you need the code list) that will tell you what is wrong. You need the workshop manual (downloadable from a few websites around the world).

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Dave,
Thats the baffling part...The ecu has`nt detected anything..I have read the codes and nothing...????.

I have been told sometimes the lambda dose`nt leave a code for whatever reason..??.......Kevo.

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
The only experience I have is when Mark from Abbey popped a consult onto my ecu and it showed that one of the AFM's had been giving errors AND when my car was running as sick as a parrot and [email protected] used his consult which showed O2 sensor errors and also det sensor failure. The consult had more than one level of diagnostics but he could not proceed to more detail until the det sensor problem was fixed.
Your problem could be difficult to diagnose with the proper equipment, never mind from advice on here!
A lot of people do not reply to threads like this as there is no point guessing what the fault is. You need someone who knows what they are on about...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Dave..Yeh point taken,Just read the ecu again and nothing ...???.
Its finding someone with the correct gear up here in the north east...??
......Kev.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Alex,
Yes been honest this did cross my mind...But,It could be so many things..I just wish i could get to the bottom of this problem as i`m getting sick now-Thank you...Kev.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just an update really....

Had a quick word with Ron Kadel....(Very nice man)..Who suggested disconnecting the Lambda sensor`s and taking the car for a run....
I did this and it was as lively as it was before the problem.....So fingers crossed.....

Thanks guys....Kev.

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
I run Apexi PowerFC ecu, and my lambda sensors caused the car to run funny so I disconnected them (in the ecu settings). Forgot about that.
Plus the car only uses the sensors in certain driving situations, closed loop and open loop. When it is not using them car runs fine. When it is and one is playing up, can fun funny. Hence problem not occurring all of the time.
The voltage output from each sensor has a lower and upper limit in volts. I can see the exact voltage on my powerFC commander unit and therefore see which one is playing up.
I am sure I have seen a thread describing testing the sensor on here but quite a while ago.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again for your help Dave,I appreciate each and every answer..I`ll keep the link updated after i have ran the car a little more

Thank you again....Kevo.

·
Official GTR.co.uk Photographer
2,671 Posts
same how my old tuner noticed when one of my sensors was playing up through the pfc showing the readouts on the hand controller

1 - 13 of 13 Posts