GTR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm currently shopping for a gtr to be imported to me in canada.
i've got about a month to go before i'm ready to buy and figure i might as well get some of this info now.as far as i know, there arent many gt-r's in canada so i dont have much in the way of resources locally.

i did many searches but couldnt find exactly what i was looking for.

what weight of oil should i be using in a canadian climate? it can get as low as -30c in winter (i live 1km away from my work, so it will be driven year round, any farther than that i take my wifes car) and as high as 35c in summer. my current car uses 5w30 ( a honda integra vtec)

what canadian/american supstitute can i use for oil filters? i dont think i can go to a local nissan dealer and ask for the oil filter for a skyline, they'll look at me like i'm nuts. i would prefer to not have to have one shipped from overseas everytime i do an oil change.

and one final question, what grade of canadian/american fuel sould i be using? 91 octane is the highest rating i can get in my city, though if i make a trip 30mins away, i can get 94 octane. what are these equivilent to in japan or in UK? i know that canada/usa have thew same fuel, but the rest of the world uses a different rating system.

thanks to anyone who can answer my questions :D

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
u should be able to order your parts from nissan shop, you can over them from any nissan place over here. You just need the parts number, i might be wrong?

·
Registered
5 Posts
The GT-R won't like 91 octane at all. You'll be pushing it with 94 octane too. They were designed to run on 98 octane - use octne booster on 94 to syop pinging and possibly retard the ignition timing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
V-SPEC II said:
The GT-R won't like 91 octane at all. You'll be pushing it with 94 octane too. They were designed to run on 98 octane - use octne booster on 94 to syop pinging and possibly retard the ignition timing.

i was under the impression that 91 here in canada and 91 in places like japan and the uk were two different things. at least thats what i was told at the garage i go to.

on second look i think i answered my own question:
taken from wikipedia:

Different countries have some variation in what RON (Research Octane Number) is standard for gasoline, or petrol. In the UK, ordinary regular unleaded petrol is 91 RON (although this isn't commonly available), premium unleaded petrol is always 95 RON, and super unleaded is usually 97-98 RON. In the US, octane ratings in fuels can vary between 86-87 AKI (91-92 RON) for regular, through 89-90 (94-95) for mid-grade (European Premium), up to 90-94 (RON 95-99) for premium unleaded or E10 (Super in Europe)

looks like 91-94 octane here in canada is the same as 95-99 octane in europe

·
Registered
832 Posts
I also live in Canada and have a gt-r. We operate on the metric method of octane rating (R+N/2 I believe) while the UK utilizes the RON method for the rating. Basically, subtract 3 points from their rating and you get very near the metric rating. Their 94 is our 91.... I find premium fuel is fine for spring and fall. but you might have to add a booster for the summer. I do not recommend using ethanol based fuels (for the higher rating) on an older gt-r because ethanol is corrosive to rubber (o-rings seals etc.) and it may eat your fuel lines. It is also can overclean your fuel system and clog injectors/filters/etc. And though it is more stable at higher temps than standard gasoline, it has less "energy" meaning you will lose some HP and mileage......
As far as -30c driving in winter, you're on your own with that one !!!!!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
i have a 1990 GTR in winnipeg, manitoba. it definatly runs well on 91 and 94.

however, i would not recommend running it in weather below -10C. i wish i could show you the mechanical aspects of what happens to running engines in cold weather. for an engine like the RB26, that has been engineered for power and efficiancy, it just would be a waste.

also, i wouldnt intend on running a GTR as a daily driver. it simply costs too much to maintain. if you live on the west coast, and you have a good hookup for parts, you might find it a bit easier to keep it running well.

my local Nissan dealer just got the ability from Nissan Canada to order GTR parts. my car is their first test-rat, and its been there for almost 2 months getting a power steering pump, and a ball joint.

be carefull what kinds of shops you bring it to. some shops will outright lie, saying they have lots of GTR experience, just so they can get a GTR in the shop, and get all their buddies in it, and go tooling around town in your car. some shops just want Skyline rep, they know there are a good 20 GTR owners in winnipeg, and none of them know where to bring their cars.

oh and btw, there are 100s if not 1000s of skyline owners in canada. head on over to gtrcanada.com and jdmoc.com to talk to local GTR owners.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts