GTR Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys whats the maximum tire size for the GTR32 w/o any rubbing issues? I was planning on getting 18s, can a 265/35 tire fit the BNR32 ...

And guys need your suggestion as well on whats the best size for the 32, I currently have 17's 255 on it but since I'm getting 18s I was choosing between 255 and 265. Should it be staggered or all straight sizes?

Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
353 Posts
295's fit with proper camber. I'm running 285/30/18 A048's on 18" x 10" +16 SSR SP1's -2.5 camber all around with no rubbing issues.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
295's fit with proper camber. I'm running 285/30/18 A048's on 18" x 10" +16 SSR SP1's -2.5 camber all around with no rubbing issues.

Woow... no rubbing issue? even at full turn w/ no spacers at all? nice... but does the GTR32s handle best at that tire width size?

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
You've got to add ride height and offset to the mix.

265s seem to work fine. I much prefered the feel of mine on 255s to 225s. Mind you the 225s were on 17s so had a much larger sidewall. I'm thinking to put some 225/40R18 for winter/wet weather use (on an 8" rim) and put some decent 265 (265/35R18, 9.5" rim) rubber on for summer use.

As to staggered wheels Lotus is a fan of equal sized wheels. For a 4WD car with front weight bias I think that they've got a point.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK... 285s looks nasty but are they good on the GTR32s handling? W/ regards to the max wheel size is it 9.5?

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
I've not tried 285s. One thing to remember is that fatter tyres don't always equal more grip. If the rim size is the same then you'll find that beyond the ideal size the extra width isn't 'used'.

I think that people have run 10.5" rims on R32s though this may be with rolled arches and specific camber/ride heights.

FWIW I think that 265 is spot on for a 9.5" rim. If you wanted to run 275 then 10" and 285 then a 10.5" rim would be about right. However assuming that you're keeping an aspect ratio of 35 each increase in width will increase the sidewall height (by 3.5mm). This increase will make clouting the top of the wheelarch (or perhaps the from of the ***** on full lock) more likely.

On the disadvantage front the wider tyre will have a larger rolling radius (unless you can find a smaller aspect ratio which works!). The car will tramline worse (tyre design seems to have a bearing on this too). Steering will be heavier and perhaps have less 'feel'. There's also more chance of aqua-planing. Finally the tyre will weigh more (wheel too is you end up needing a wider rim).

Advantages are looks and grip really.

Difficult to say what handles best as this tends to change a lot with different tyres. If you could try various sizes using the exact same tyre make/model then you could probably draw some conclusions. However a 255 in one brand may be better for grip etc than a 285 in another brand. To further muck things up a 265 isn't necessarily 265mm wide tread wise. Different makes/models of 265 will have different tread widths. I've seen people measuring tyres and seeing difference of 1" between two supposedly the same tyres!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
OK... 285s looks nasty but are they good on the GTR32s handling? W/ regards to the max wheel size is it 9.5?
255 were streched a little on my 18x9.5 rims on my 32R
I will be going to 265/35/18s next, also they seem to be cheaper than 255s, (more common size).

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I've not tried 285s. One thing to remember is that fatter tyres don't always equal more grip. If the rim size is the same then you'll find that beyond the ideal size the extra width isn't 'used'.

I think that people have run 10.5" rims on R32s though this may be with rolled arches and specific camber/ride heights.

FWIW I think that 265 is spot on for a 9.5" rim. If you wanted to run 275 then 10" and 285 then a 10.5" rim would be about right. However assuming that you're keeping an aspect ratio of 35 each increase in width will increase the sidewall height (by 3.5mm). This increase will make clouting the top of the wheelarch (or perhaps the from of the ***** on full lock) more likely.

On the disadvantage front the wider tyre will have a larger rolling radius (unless you can find a smaller aspect ratio which works!). The car will tramline worse (tyre design seems to have a bearing on this too). Steering will be heavier and perhaps have less 'feel'. There's also more chance of aqua-planing. Finally the tyre will weigh more (wheel too is you end up needing a wider rim).

Advantages are looks and grip really.

Difficult to say what handles best as this tends to change a lot with different tyres. If you could try various sizes using the exact same tyre make/model then you could probably draw some conclusions. However a 255 in one brand may be better for grip etc than a 285 in another brand. To further muck things up a 265 isn't necessarily 265mm wide tread wise. Different makes/models of 265 will have different tread widths. I've seen people measuring tyres and seeing difference of 1" between two supposedly the same tyres!
Really! 265s from several brands measure differently?! So Cris do you think is the max wheel and tire size in the GTR32's body w/o the need of spacers or rolling the fender arches? 9.5 or 10 wheels.. 275 or 285 tires.. I guess it also depends on the cars power huh..

One more thing whats your say about the staggered wheel or tire size.. Do you do that on your GTR?

Thanks a lot bro!

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
I'm not sure what the biggest possible is. I've seem some people running 275s apparently without problems.

As I've mentioned ride height and camber will allow you to tuck wheels in under the arches. Of course one function of ride height is stiffness. Coil-overs will give more headroom inboard. Finally offset alter things too.

I don't claim to be any kind of expert on these things so I can only advise you from personal experience. My car has pretty stiff suspension and previously had VERY stiff suspension (both coil-overs) so I can't comment on stock suspension.

For me when I pick wheels I look at the weight, then the fitting and finally I decide on the tyre I want to run and choose a wheel accordingly.

I would say that for the extra bother anything much beyond a 255 is wasted. Originally I wanted to pick up a set of 17x9s and run 255/40R17s on them. I ended up with 18x9.5s and 255/35R18s mostly because the SE37Ks were too good an offer to refuse. I think that 265s would sit better on the rims so that's where I'll go next.

As I've mentioned above I'm not sure that there's any point in running staggered wheels. Some say that you'll be OK if the rolling radii are the same. I've got to say I don't think it would be a problem. However I'm far to chicken to try just in case!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not sure what the biggest possible is. I've seem some people running 275s apparently without problems.

As I've mentioned ride height and camber will allow you to tuck wheels in under the arches. Of course one function of ride height is stiffness. Coil-overs will give more headroom inboard. Finally offset alter things too.

I don't claim to be any kind of expert on these things so I can only advise you from personal experience. My car has pretty stiff suspension and previously had VERY stiff suspension (both coil-overs) so I can't comment on stock suspension.

For me when I pick wheels I look at the weight, then the fitting and finally I decide on the tyre I want to run and choose a wheel accordingly.

I would say that for the extra bother anything much beyond a 255 is wasted. Originally I wanted to pick up a set of 17x9s and run 255/40R17s on them. I ended up with 18x9.5s and 255/35R18s mostly because the SE37Ks were too good an offer to refuse. I think that 265s would sit better on the rims so that's where I'll go next.

As I've mentioned above I'm not sure that there's any point in running staggered wheels. Some say that you'll be OK if the rolling radii are the same. I've got to say I don't think it would be a problem. However I'm far to chicken to try just in case!
Well said bro! See, I just acquired myself a track proven GTR 32s it's a shop right now for reconditioning... It has HKS coil overs so I guess it has more room in the fenders, it's currently running on GTR 33 wheels 255/40, but the tires are quite ready for replacement.. I'm thinking either retain the R33 wheels and run 255 or 265, or up size to RAYS SF challenge 18s w/ either 265 or 275 tires.

I wanted it to run w/ just a minor negative camber or none at all so I'm quite anxious if I bought a tooo big of a tire for the BNR32...:)

Thanks mate!

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
I'd be temped to hang onto the R33 rims. They are very good wheels and you've got to spend quite a lot to get something lighter. I'd say that 255/40R17 is the perfect size on those. You could put 265s on if you really want. Can't see it would make much difference. You'd probably see more difference by buying a better set of tyres.

The only thing I'd be temped to change is the offset. It's purely a looks thing but an offset of about -10/15 would look good. I can't remember 100% but I think that the stock R33 rims have an offset of -30.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd be temped to hang onto the R33 rims. They are very good wheels and you've got to spend quite a lot to get something lighter. I'd say that 255/40R17 is the perfect size on those. You could put 265s on if you really want. Can't see it would make much difference. You'd probably see more difference by buying a better set of tyres.

The only thing I'd be temped to change is the offset. It's purely a looks thing but an offset of about -10/15 would look good. I can't remember 100% but I think that the stock R33 rims have an offset of -30.
Yep I also decide to keep it... for now. hehe. I also found out that this GTR R33 wheel is some what hot especially among enthusiasts. I was actually approached by a fellow enthusiasts offering me to sell the wheel to him. :D
And bro what can you say about tires like Toyo R888 being used as "daily driven"? It will easily wore out right?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts