GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

Just been out in the R32 and have what i hope isn't a big problem. I don't really know skylines (only recently got the car) but i am very mechanically minded (several engine rebuilds on various japanese machinery now)

Anyway, i was driving along, Did a little 3rd gear pull when the engine had warmed up to about 4500-5k rpm. Noticed a red light - showing no oil pressure. Shut the engine off and coasted to a stop with the clutch down the second i saw it, parked up did some checks. No oil dropping on the floor, no obvious explosions in the engine bay and enough oil in the sump (about 2mm above the low line, not ideal i know but should still get pressure right?)

Anyway, i started her up again quick (5 secs max) and still no oil pressure on the dash and im not sure if im being paranoid or if there was a slight clacking sound from the engine.

In any case, im looking for some fairly non-intrustive tests i can do to test for oil pressure now without starting the engine. I know cosworths YB engine for example (totally different beast i know) you can drive the oil pump from the distributor without turning the engine over. Is something similar possible with the R32?

Hopefully its just wiring as i noticed the lights stopped working on my temprature gauge tonight too (damn old cars!) so hopefully its just a loose connection somewhere :) Is there any way i can test the gauge from the engine bay end? (i.e simulate the output of the oil pressure sender)

Thanks in advance...Fingers crossed.

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
Unscrew the oil pressure sendor, fit a mechanical gauge, fire it up and see what reading you get.

My money is on the sensor. You can get a 300ZX pattern part sensor from most motorfactors and fit that. It works well.

Choice is yours.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great thats a good idea actually thanks mate, i'll give that a go. Thanks for the quick reply, going nuts at the moment.

Is there no way to make the oil pump run without turning over the engine though? Id really rather not run it if i dont have to!

Also, what signal do the sensors transmit? Is it a variable resistance level? If so does anyone have any specs of what they output so i can simulate?

Cheers

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
The oil pump os mounted on the front of the crank, so you will need to crank it. If you unplug the CAS on the front of the exhaust cam, you will not fire the engine up.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Remove sparkplugs, and disconnect the CAS sensor.
You should see about 4-500rpm during cranking, and oilpressure should go to about 1bar with cold oil.

One other thing you can do before cranking the engine is to take out the oilfilter, see if there is oil in it. If it is empty you know the oilpump is not pumping oil.

Good luck mate :)

Asim

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow, thanks for the quick replies guys, a real wealth of info!

Ill keep you updated on progress but there might be a cheap car going soon :)

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Is the oil warning light on the same sensor as the guage? If they're different, then I wouldn't start it or turn it over...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thats a very good point. Does anyone know the answer to this? Still waiting for the bloody AA to pick the thing up, been like 3 and a half hours now! Apparently they are very busy :(

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Phew, cars back.

so theres really nothing i can do without cranking the engine is there?

Asim, good suggestion about the oil filter but itll have oil in it from where its been run before, and when left overnight whatever oil can run out of it, will run out of it no?

I might drain the oil first tomorrow inspect it and refill if i deem necessary (i.e if its not full of swarf haha) before i do anything.

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
losen/remove oil filter, unplug CAS, crank over, if you get a flood its good news, if you get nothing, its not good news.

Rob

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So whats the damage if it turns out that the oil pump has failed, best case? (there appear to be no leaks)

I know what worst case scenario is but lets say i caught it in time and no damage is done to the engine. Is changing the oil pump going to cost me the earth?

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
So whats the damage if it turns out that the oil pump has failed, best case? (there appear to be no leaks)

I know what worst case scenario is but lets say i caught it in time and no damage is done to the engine. Is changing the oil pump going to cost me the earth?
Mainly bearings,maybe crank and rods.......everything else should be fine and just need a good cleaning.....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So, engine out is 100% necessary to change the oil pump, if thats whats required?

Also, whats the chances everything is fine if i caught it quite quickly (which i think i did)

Im talking cam bearings and crank bearings. Would they really have dried up and melted that fast?

Going to go and have a look at it in 30 minutes, will report back.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
yep engine out to do oil pump, did see someone do it in situe once but had to remove all subframe ect.... easier to lift the engine

light and gauge are two different units if both are on pump is goosed, happened to me on my 33

1 - 20 of 28 Posts