GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. First let me say, this is NOT another post about "how do I get 700WHP?" I much of the major requirements, however I have been receiving conflicting information regarding a few things and wanted to get a clear answer. Thx. After reading Twinsnails upgrade post on here it has gotten me into gear to start on my own project. I have a GTR33 and I am shooting for a 700WHP Street Machine. I know most of the stuff that will be necessary for this however I do have a few questions, including some VERY important ones. I was hoping that you guys could look over my current upgrade path and make suggestions regarding if it is correct or needs changes. I was also hoping you guys could answer the few questions that I do have about it. Thanks a lot for the help guys.

Questions:

1. Turbos - I need twin turbos capable of producing 700WHP however that are made for the street. The reason I am asking is because most of the turbos that people post about are designed for track use. While I will be doing some track use with my GTR33, most of my driving will be done on the street. Hence, I need a street setup. Of course I realize that any turbo setup capable of that much power will have some lag, however I am hoping to minimize that amount. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Manifold - I know in most circumstances it is necessary to upgrade the manifold to a top mount setup due to space restrictions with the stock manifold. Is there a ready made one that can handle what I need or will it be necessary to have one custom fabricated?

3. Exhaust Piping - Simple question. I have heard conflicting things and want to get a definite answer. Will a 3" exhaust suffice for my goals, or is a 3.5" or 4" necessary. The reason I am hoping to stay with a 3" or 3.5" is to keep the noise level as streetable as possible and I know how loud 4" piping is.

4. Stock Fuel Rail - From what I hear the stock FPR is good up to about 550WHP. So obviously I realize that it will be necessary to upgrade that, however what about the stock fuel rail? Is it necessary to upgrade the fuel rail?

Now to the setup which I have planned:

Engine:

XXXX Twin Turbos (?)
Upgraded Manifold (?)
X" Turbo Back Exhaust w/ External Dump (?)
Upgraded Race FMIC
ARC Induction Box
Custom Fabricated Intake Piping
NGK Spark Plugs and Wires
HKS SSQV BOX
HKS 272 Intake/Exhaust Cams
Alky Injection Kit
N1 Water Pump
N1 Oil Pump
Upgraded Oil Sending Unit

Fuel System:

Upgraded Fuel Rail (?)
Upgraded AFPR (probably Nismo)
Nismo Fuel Pump
SS Lines
800CC Injections (? Big enough)

Electronics:

Apexi Power FC w/ Hand Controller
Bee-R Launch Limiter
Torque Split Converter (cant remember the brand)
Dual SBC Boost Controller
AEM Wideband

Drivetrain:

ATS/Carbonetics Twin Disk Clutch
Nismo Slave Cylinder
Upgraded Shift Fork and Bearing
Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft

Cooling:

Koyo Radiator
Nismo Thermostat
Greddy Oil Cooler WO/ Relocate (dont think relocate makes sense)

Interior:

SPA Techniques Dual Gauges
4 Point Racing Harness
Nismo Gauge Cluster
Car PC

Well that is the setup path which I am currently planning on running. However I go out and buy all of this stuff I want to make sure that it will be adequate and necessary in order to achieve the power goal of 700WHP that I have for an almost daily driven street machine. Any and all help and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

-Sayajin

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to Add:

Suspension/Braking:

Tein Coilovers w/ EDFC
Upgraded 4-6 Piston Calipers

·
Registered
440 Posts
thats not a street machine thats a drag machine! 600bhp @ the fly is fine for the street-low boost-low lag. if you want a street machine copy the mines set up r34gtr as close as you can. there are so many cars on here to copy there spec and see similar powers....

·
Registered
717 Posts
700whp will not really be that streetable (although many do) and perhaps better to go for a solid 600 instead, but its your car and your money.

The choice of turbos is very large but perhaps you may be better to consider a single instead.

Are you going to be keeping the stock 2600cc? or stroker?

Would also suggest the following

Baffles extended sump
Metal head gasket
Breather system
External secondary fuel pump (bosch 044)and swirl pot
Twin entry fuel rail with centre exit (not essential)
1000cc injectors
Dont forget all new parts that will need fitting with the cams
new metal (tomei) inlet and outlet gaskets

I would also use the apexi boost control kit that can be conected to the pfc rather than a seperate boost control unit as if there are any problems the ecu can cut or reduce the boost for safety margin

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Sayajin,

You did not mention cams in your list, or gas flow the head which are very necessary for 700 BHP.

HKS-GTRS turbos will give 700 BHP, but are prone to shuffle on a 2.6.

I have an 800 BHP capable HKS 2835 twin turbo kit spare in my garage if you want to aim a little higher.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Hugh,
I think he would have to go for your spare turbo set up at least as he is after whp.

Forgot to mention cams...lol

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts
take it to Abbey (or one of the many other tuners) get them to it for build you. There is more than enough advice here and on other Forums, BUT also if you are going to use the car as a "track car" you better make sure it fits with all the noise restrictions !!!"

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the added info guys.

Cams are actually on the list already, right there under Engine parts. Ideally I would also like to keep the 2.6L setup and not stoke it.

Skykit, most of my questions are actually regarding the fuel system so I had a couple for you. Are 1000cc injuectors really necessary? Based upon the calculations I was given by the injector calculator I thought 800cc would suffice?

Also as far as the secondary fuel pump w/ swirl pot and new fuel rail. I suppose the answer to this one will depend on the answer to the injectors, however are they necessary? Will one Nismo pump not be able to flow the necesasary fuel, as well as the stock fuel rail not capable of handling it? Also is that the Apexi AVCR that you are recommending? Thx.

Hugh, when you say gas flow the head is that the same as port and polish? Sorry I forgot to add that part it if it is the same thing. Also I think your spare turbo kit may be a little overkill and produce too much turbo lag. Thx though.

After reading some more I am beginning to wonder, is a strong 600WHP really a better setup for a street machine instead of the 700WHP? The reason I ask is becuase although my car will see a lot of the drag strip, it will mostly be on the street. I am wondering if a turbo setup necessary for 700WHP will have too much lag for the street. Also I want to keep the twins, I dont want to go to a single. Thanks for the info guys, it is greatly appreciated.

-Sayajin

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
take it to Abbey (or one of the many other tuners) get them to it for build you. There is more than enough advice here and on other Forums, BUT also if you are going to use the car as a "track car" you better make sure it fits with all the noise restrictions !!!"
Sorry Steve, as much as I would LOVE to take it to Abbey, I am over here in the USA so that is not really a plausible option for me.

-Sayajin

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
2.6, 700 rwhp and road useable dont go if you ask me, not unless you love lag above all else in life.
I too am starting to think this... I think I may drop down my HP goal to a nice 550-600WHP and look at the mines GTR setup.... I definetly need to eliminate lag as much as possible since I am going for a street build.

-Sayajin

·
Registered
440 Posts
Sayajin,

You did not mention cams in your list, or gas flow the head which are very necessary for 700 BHP.

HKS-GTRS turbos will give 700 BHP, but are prone to shuffle on a 2.6.

I have an 800 BHP capable HKS 2835 twin turbo kit spare in my garage if you want to aim a little higher.

twin GT-RS will give 800bhp.

what is 'shuffle'?

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I don't think the Mine's R34 is 600bhp at the wheel either, at fly I think.

As far as the BEST street setup, look at CAM (CossyCAM) Red R34.

OSG RB30 with GT-RS and mild CAM. I think that will be the best setup for street if you are looking for BIG bhp. There is no replacement for displacement. Who ever start the biggest finish the biggest. You are only ever going to get so much torque off boost with a 2.6litre.

I think a RB30 with a T04Z also get good boost before 4K RPM, so that would be another options to look at. Will make replacement and service much easier also.

·
Registered
717 Posts
For 700whp that is going to be over 800+crank bhp (dependant on how loses are calculated)

As far as injectors are concerned i would rather have more head room than too narrow of a margin on fueling. If you intend to aim for the 700whp then i would change the fuel rail with twin entry and centre return. As the for the fuel pump for that kind of power one pump just will not do. But if keep to around 600crank bhp then you can get away with one pump (i.e bosch 044 mounted in tank)

The turbos hugh was refering to would not have been over kill for the power that you wanted, just remember that you want 700whp so that equated to a fair bit more at the crank and so choices should be made on that basis

I was not refering to the avcr i was talking about the optional boost kit that is directly linked to the power fc.

But for the cost of all this for me i would go for rips built 3ltr rb30 engine

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Thanks for the added info guys.

Cams are actually on the list already, right there under Engine parts. Ideally I would also like to keep the 2.6L setup and not stoke it.

Hugh, when you say gas flow the head is that the same as port and polish? Sorry I forgot to add that part it if it is the same thing. Also I think your spare turbo kit may be a little overkill and produce too much turbo lag. Thx though.

-Sayajin
Sayajin,

You mention cam gears, which to me means pulleys, you do not mention cams which need to be on the 270° duration and 10.25mm range give or take a bit on the final spec.

Gas flow the head is kinda similar to port and polish, however a port and polish might flow less than standard if it's not done by the right tuner.

My "port and polish" includes combustion chamber rework as well.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
GTR rules,

I have used GT-RS turbos and they may have compressors capable of flowing enough for 800 BHP, however the turbines are too small to allow that to happen.

The HKS 285 set-up has the same compressor wheels, but does allow almost 800 BHP with the right supporting mods.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I too am starting to think this... I think I may drop down my HP goal to a nice 550-600WHP and look at the mines GTR setup.... I definetly need to eliminate lag as much as possible since I am going for a street build.

-Sayajin
LOL. Why not drop down to 300whp? That will eliminate the lag even more. :rolleyes:

Everybody is entitled to an opinion so its a good idea to listen to many and then make your own informed decision. If you are set on 700whp, get a set of 2835s (or equivalent) and build your fuel setup to handle 1000cc injectors (as 800cc will require high rail pressure to be on the safe side). Big hp on boost alone from a 2.6ltr requires some compromises - there's not a lot of magic involved. All you need to do is determine your priorities. Good luck.

Cya O!

·
Registered
440 Posts
GTR rules,

I have used GT-RS turbos and they may have compressors capable of flowing enough for 800 BHP, however the turbines are too small to allow that to happen.

The HKS 285 set-up has the same compressor wheels, but does allow almost 800 BHP with the right supporting mods.
thanks - anybody know what 'shuffle' is and what should i avoid it?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts