Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 965 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GTROC Future 2018

Dear all,
Following the nomination for the board of the GTROC for 2018 a team of those who accepted our nominations have discussed what our vision might be for the club. We wanted to take the opportunity to formally set out our ideas and direction you wish to place your vote. The nominees as part of this vision are:

Nominee Chair; Roger Burgess (rog350z)
Nominee Vice Chair; Dave Warrener (DaveW)
Nominee Secretary; Toni Gladding (tonigmr2)
Nominee Treasurer; Ian Smith (IMS)

The Skyline and GT-R community is hugely strong with a great many enthusiastic and passionate members and, while all events and activities may not appeal to everyone, the fundamental basis of the club is to have fun. The Skyline and GT-R community means many things to many people - from the origins with KPGC10 right through to the current R35, Nismo and beyond. The GTROC members are as disparate as our cars and the club is here to be welcoming and provide events, gatherings, socials, track days and more for all. This, of course, includes not only the UK but European and Worldwide members and events in Europe as well.

With this as our premise the broad ideas we would like to put forward for 2018 are:

-The club to make the www.gtr.co.uk forum (the blue forum) as its discussion and knowledge home. While there were good reasons for the original migration to gtroc.org (black forum), times and circumstances move on. We would be delighted to work with Mook and the team to retire the gtroc.org forum and bring all conversations together for the community on the blue/gtr.co.uk forum.

-While making gtr.co.uk home the Club would still need a Membership Database and Club Shop. It is proposed that this would be run by a Commercial Manager and would be hosted and managed by the club. A membership database with membership reminders and auto renewal, among other features TBC, (suggestions welcome) would be created from the current gtroc.org forum and link to the new Shop.

-Shop; a source of vital revenue and exposure for the club. A review and revitalised product selection, such as new Nismo merchandise, would be undertaken and presented on a new ecommerce platform. The Commercial Manager would also be responsible (with assistance from a wider team) for the membership renewals and membership packs.

-With the assistance of Mook and the team, regular updates on Membership statuses would be provided to gtr.co.uk to allow notification of membership status in Avatars.

-A much wider GTROC Management Team is vital to the success of the club. It is entirely voluntary and an enormous amount of hard work goes into organising events and the running of the club. Anyone is very, very welcome to assist and anything, no matter how seemingly small, makes a big difference. The proposal is the team would be put in place with formal posts of: Straightline, Heritage, Commercial and Track along with a Nissan main point of contact. One of the vital areas to rejuvenate is regional reps and promote meets for Scotland, North West, North East and Midlands.

-The Board and wider management team will undertake to meet monthly via conference call, or in person, as appropriate. Formal minutes will be taken and decisions will be published online within two weeks of the meeting taking place for full transparency.

-A vital, and unique, component of the club is the relationship with Nissan GB, Europe and Japan. We propose to confirm our friend Tamura-san wishes to continue as Honorary President for another year and build on the excellent relationships with Japan, Nissan Europe and GB.

-Explore options for annual highlight events which might include Japan Trip, Tours and short weekend drive outs; again requests and guidance from the members on what you actually want to do is vital!

-Ensure the Members get value from the club; membership should come with benefits. Discounted tickets for events, Track Days at Silverstone, garages and helmets, access to areas money can't buy; areas in Nissan Japan, discount on Toyo tyres or being invited to Nurburgring or Spa garages with Nissan GT Racing are some of the examples of this to date.

-2018 Calendar. We propose give people a draft calendar by end December 2017 for the full 2018 key events season (as far as is possible) so people can book their diaries early. While the GTROC members are free to attend as many events as they wish we propose a select, broad selection of key events that will be flagship gatherings. Historically these have included the JapShow Series, Ten of the Best, On Your Marks, Silverstone Track Days, Nurburgring 24 Hours and the Silverstone Classic etc.

-All key events will have a dedicated owner. The owner will be the central club point of contact between members and organisers with the full support of club (such as Dave W has historically done with Asda, John with Track and Jeff with Straightline).

-Social platforms would be everyones responsibility and all social media platforms would be linked and posted to regularly with relevant content to drive awareness of the club and the cars.

-Track Days; one of the great successes for the club historically and the aim would be to continue the Silverstone relationship with a series of Member Track Days. We would also look at other track venues in the UK and Europe as demand dictates.

-To reiterate, it is of utmost importance to ensure the club is for all members and is also looking to the future. Not just for Skyline, or R35, but events that everyone attends and enjoys. Ace Café meets have always been a great example of this. We do not seek to change ownership of events or change things that already work, but to provide more opportunities for members to enjoy the marque and the club. Our aim is for the club to be a place where people can enjoy the company of other enthusiasts, and friends, with the cars we all love.

In the spirit of open debate please do post any questions below and the team will be happy to answer them. We would like to encourage an energetic discussion on the future of the GTROC!!

·
Super Moderator
15,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In answer to a question already posed to me. No the proposed new team do not have any formal tie up with B35.

I want to be clear about this. This is not a proposal for B35 to 'take over' the GTROC. B35 have absolutely no formal tie in with our proposed team, nor are we canvassing their members for votes.

The idea of putting up alternative candidates is to encourage open and honest discussion about the direction of the club, which many of us feel has lost its way over recent years.

I will say this however, I greatly admire what B35 have achieved. You only have to see how they had 40 cars in a drive out on an October morning to see how successful and popular they are. They are a great club and I regret the animosity that has developed between GTROC and B35, and we would seek to be more collaborative.

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
Excellent news Toni. The GTROC board needs a shake up with some new ideas and influx of fresh blood. I am pleased to see that the proposed board realise that both Skyline and R35 owners work together to create a strong and stable club which benefits all members of the GTR owning community.
I am sure that if this group are voted in the GTROC will once more flourish and go from strength to strength.

·
Following EJH#25
6,840 Posts
The list of all Nominees by position is as follows according to the GTROC email I received...

Club Chairman
Ross Stewart
Roger Burgess
Dave Warrener

Vice Chairman
Kriss Weightman
Dave Warrener

Club Secretary
Jeff Ludgate
Toni Gladding

Treasurer
David Wilkins
Ian Smith

·
Vendor
12,552 Posts
The list of all Nominees by position is as follows according to the GTROC email I received...

Club Chairman
Ross Stewart
Roger Burgess
Dave Warrener

Vice Chairman
Kriss Weightman
Dave Warrener

Club Secretary
Jeff Ludgate
Toni Gladding

Treasurer
David Wilkins
Ian Smith
Thats correct matt, thanks for posting. I have asked the secretary to remove my interest in the Chairman's role as I want to fully support Roger with his vision.

If anyone reading this has not had an amendment from the Secretary then please either contact him for the amendment or simply ignore that part of the first letter.

KR

DaveW

·
Premium Member
3,730 Posts
That's not the full list of nominees from the email?
That's correct Matt, apologies perhaps we should have been more clear.

This isn't the official full list (which has come out by email to the members) this is a response from the four people listed setting out a clear picture of what and how we would like to do for the club should we be fortunate enough for the members to elect us.

Am sure there will be a lot of debate and agreement/disagreement but can only be good for the club. You can never please everyone all the time but it hopefully sets the tone.

Rog.

·
Super Moderator
15,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Mattj, I just presented the manifesto for our team not listing all nominations as Roger has already said.

·
Following EJH#25
6,840 Posts
My main questions to the proposed team are:

1. Take over - If this isn't intentionally a complete take over of the running of the club, then why have a totally different team proposed themselves and have a vision of how they intend to run the club? - in, from my understanding and the exception of a couple of minor points, exactly the same manner as historically proven. Why not work with and assist those already experienced?

2. Clarity - I want full clarity of the running of the club, it's funds, expenditures and commitments

3. Conflict of interest - I want to see potential conflicts of interest by those who stand to gain (directly and indirectly) from the club. John Fuggles with the tours, some could argue Jeff Ludgate with Track Stuff and others will definitely see Dave Warrener could directly benefit from a position on the board. I want to see what contracts/deals the club has and with who and why the relationship was developed without being voted on by the members.

If you're going to have a 'clean up' how about you share the running of the 'not for profit' club with the members via statements and mail shots etc?

·
Super Moderator
15,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

1. Take over - If this isn't intentionally a complete take over of the running of the club, then why have a totally different team proposed themselves and have a vision of how they intend to run the club? - in, from my understanding and the exception of a couple of minor points, exactly the same manner as historically proven. Why not work with and assist those already experienced?

2. Clarity - I want full clarity of the running of the club, it's funds, expenditures and commitments

3. Conflict of interest - I want to see potential conflicts of interest by those who stand to gain (directly and indirectly) from the club. John Fuggles with the tours, some could argue Jeff Ludgate with Track Stuff and others will definitely see Dave Warrener could directly benefit from a position on the board. I want to see what contracts/deals the club has and with who and why the relationship was developed without being voted on by the members.

If you're going to have a 'clean up' how about you share the running of the 'not for profit' club with the members via statements and mail shots etc?
1. In essence I guess yes. Simply the vision of the people outlined above is different from the existing team. People can choose which they prefer. We'd want to work closer with other clubs, and re-establish the relationship with Nissan which is currently very poor. There are differences like this throughout. I want to emphasize that we are not intending to just change everything for change sake, it's to inject new energy into the club and it's direction. A new team encourages debate.
2. So would I. I don't think it is transparent enough.
3. Noted. I hope this would be addressed with the transparency we want to bring.

Any new suggestions like that would be discussed in an open manner.

What's your backup plan, if say, only 2 of your nominations are successful Toni?
Something we've discussed. Hopefully that won't happen. But the ethos of what we want to bring, openess and positive co-operation with this forum and other clubs would be a pre-requisite for my involvement for sure.

·
Registered
6,775 Posts

This!!!

·
Super Moderator
15,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Trev want to chat about any of my replies? Please feel free. :) Open debate is good!!

·
Premium Member
3,730 Posts
To echo Toni Matt - I believe this isn't the same direction as has been taken by the last boards. Case in point is our desire to move the GTROC discussion to this forum as a single entity with a better (as can be seen by the documented email issues) membership database and communications.

That leads us to your point about transparency and our point about all board meeting formal minutes being published to members and these would include any Finance updates, commercial arrangements, expenses etc. So I believe this is very different from what went before.

Additionally the current relationship with Nissan is not what I would like for the club.

The bottom line is this is a car club, not a multi million pound business, and while people might have opinions of what should and shouldn't be done a degree of latitude must be given. It's not a FTSE Shareholder meeting and the car club should be fun.

Anyone, and you would be very welcome Matt as with anyone, who wished to get involved actively would be welcomed with open arms.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I see politics are once again going to ruin yet another car club!

Inject some help by all means, serve the club membership by all means but talk of Takeovers and the such are not warranted and will only serve to split the club!

I also agree that conflicts of interest should not be allowed! No one should be able to promote their own or friends business interests by virtue of being on the board!

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
I see politics are once again going to ruin yet another car club!

Inject some help by all means, serve the club membership by all means but talk of Takeovers and the such are not warranted and will only serve to split the club!

I also agree that conflicts of interest should not be allowed! No one should be able to promote their own or friends business interests by virtue of being on the board!
This x 1,000.

·
Registered
818 Posts
1. In essence I guess yes. Simply the vision of the people outlined above is different from the existing team. People can choose which they prefer. We'd want to work closer with other clubs,
Does this include a club that quote said recently "Close the club you bunch of C**ts you haven't got a clue" after JAE?

1 - 20 of 965 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.