GTR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
or as its alternatively known.... "Why you should seriously consider moving to a single top mount turbo"

Steps:

1) Put all the tools you had out back in the toolbox
2) Pick up the phone to a garage
3) Pick up your wallet
4) Pay someone else to do it...... NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT COSTS

I spent 5 hours yesterday... 5 friggin hours trying to get those s0dding little [email protected] out of the elbows. 5 hours getting them out and a good 10 mins just hammering them on the floor as payback.

What a total nightmare. DO NOT CONSIDER DOING THIS JOB YOURSELF. IT IS NOT WORTH IT.

My hands and arms are truly broken.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
This is replacing the 02 sensors on a factory downpipes?
I have replaced mine a couple of times....Not that big of a job...?

Swaping the turbos is much harder!

·
Registered
331 Posts
If getting rid of them, just cut the wire and use a socket! I dropped one of the turbo assemblies the other night (doing a rebuild) bent the crap out of the O2 sensor. :puke:
JP

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After doing further research... (not available on this forum I might add)... you will required the correct tooling to do the job. Once you do... then its a doddle.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Is a pretty easy job once you have the right tool. I was having a nightmare trying to get mine out in the begining, until someone on here suggested using a crows foot spanner.

What you will need is:
wd40
crows foot spanner 17mm
extension bar
ratchet

First off spray the sensors with wd40 and leave for an hour or so. This will hopefully help with loosening the threads.
Next dissconnect the sensors and remove with ratchet,extension bar and crows foot wrench.
Put a small amount of copper grease on the threads of the new sensors and replace.
This took me all of 10min to do in the dark with only a torch for light.
Leave the engine running for about 1/2 hour to burn off the excess wd40.
Is a really simple job when you have the right tools and nothing has to be removed.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Is a pretty easy job once you have the right tool. I was having a nightmare trying to get mine out in the begining, until someone on here suggested using a crows foot spanner.

What you will need is:
wd40
crows foot spanner 17mm
extension bar
ratchet

First off spray the sensors with wd40 and leave for an hour or so. This will hopefully help with loosening the threads.
Next dissconnect the sensors and remove with ratchet,extension bar and crows foot wrench.
Put a small amount of copper grease on the threads of the new sensors and replace.
This took me all of 10min to do in the dark with only a torch for light.
Leave the engine running for about 1/2 hour to burn off the excess wd40.
Is a really simple job when you have the right tools and nothing has to be removed.
Thank you for advise dmcl ,

It took literally 30 minutes to change both . I didn't remove any other single bolt or nut then sensors .

With this bad boy .

17mm Crows Foot
Short extension
long extension
ratchet

Thank you again ...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.