GTR Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi We are new to this, and to the Skyline. We are picking up our GTS on Thursday, and due to the grey import worries at present, are finding it really hard to get a decent insurance quote. We are both over 40, clean licences, max no claims bonus, have driven performance cars before, and still they want a fortune for insurance. We look to be going with Hyperformance as the lowest quote. Anyone had any experience of them?? Would appreicate hearing from other GTS owners, and anyone with insurance advice.

Great site by the way.

Regards

Kim and Toni:confused:

·
Registered
865 Posts
I'm 24 with 4 years NCB and drive a 93 GTS-T so higher group again, med risk area, and directline got me a quote of £1200 fc, free business use, 1k ICE cover, and £250 excess.

I thought it very good so I went with it, but they did want a tracker and cat 1 on it for them to insure it, and I would have done that anyway to be honest.

Try them and see what they say, failing that Tesco to imports aswell and offer a 5% discount if u do it online.

·
Registered
6,091 Posts
Insurance

Kim
Check out the insurance threads on the home page of this site
We all had a good look around this year and some of the contact numbers are posted there
Hope this helps
Best regards

:cool:

·
Registered
719 Posts
Adrian Flux

I was with Adrian Flux. I'm 28, 2 years NCB, parked on the street in a dodgy part of East London, CAT 1 alarm (but no tracker) and a few mods (i.e. big wheels, adjustable suspension, exhaust, induction etc) and I paid around £1400 with a £250 excess.

Unfortunately they're non too friendly when it comes to big power increases as I just got a quote from them for my next car (an R32 GTR with 50% power increase) and they quoted £7K. Privilege quoted half that for the same car. Abbey recommended Osbourne and Son. (0208) 388 6000 - they wouldn't quote me 'cos I was under 30 but you should be ok.

Talat.

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
7k!!!!!!!

But how much is the car worth? get it dyno'd and make sure your power claim is right. Are the insurers mad? What do they think that a 50% power increase along with your age is going to cause you to do. Drive down Oxford street mowing down pedestrians causing them a big third party claim. I don't think so.
I will keep my 32 at 30% power increase and keep paying £1250 with Priviledge as I am an ancient and sensible 35 years old.;)

·
Registered
506 Posts
GTS-T Insurance

Just got my insurance renewed so may be able to help. I'm with A-plan at the minute. They quoted £900. They don't require a tracker but the excess is £500. Saying that if you want to pay monthly they *** on £200 (total £1100 pa).

I've found that companies don't like mods and whip on a compulsory 25% so I'm sitting with £1350 this year. I tried Adrian-flux, tesco and various other companies agents and A-plan was the cheapest. There was only £100 difference between them all.

Stu

·
Registered
719 Posts
Mods

Dave,

Truth be told the 50% increase is on the very, very conservative side as it's probably around that if I keep boost levels below 1.0bar. The car has got a spec sheet as long as my arm and the problem is that the turbo's have been changed and that's why Adrian Flux were scared off. The car itself is only worth around £10K.

I was tempted to try and bring the car back to more sane levels but Abbey told me that it's a 14 hour job to change turbos but I'd have to chnage the injectors and cams on top of that so I'm better off going with the Privilege. They quoted £3200 with a £500 excess so I'll ask for a £1k excess and try and bring it down to less than £3k. I bought this car on impulse when I should have really thought about it - ah well, I suppose it's the price you pay for performance motoring.

Oh yeah, I tried A-Plan but they said they won't insure anything that has a performance increase of over 25%.

Talat.

·
Registered
506 Posts
25% cut-off?

Talat,

Is it just A-plan or are there other companies that won't insure above 25% increase in power?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Insurance

Stu,

When I spoke to A-Plan they said they won't go over 25%, Privilege were confident that they're the best when it comes to large power increases (and so far it's proving that way), Adrian Flux didn't mind the power increase but by quoting £7K where effectively telling me that they didn't want to cover me. I've tried some others but they won't insure GT-R's period.

Part of the problem is that I only have 3 years NCB - that'll teach me for driving on my dad's policy for such a long time.

Talat.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Update

A-Plan just came back to me with a quote of £3.5K (assuming standard boost, turbos, cams, injectors etc). Broker couldn't fathom why the insurance company loaded it so heavily especially considering that I stated it would only have a power increase of 25%.

He reckoned that the rollcage was causing the problem, so I rang Tesco's, gave them the same spec (minus the rollcage) and voila, the premium was halved. So that'll be the first thing that comes off the car along with a number of other things.

Talat.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Source

Due to the lack of R32's in the UK, I had to look to the Japanese auction system. Lucky to come across such a well spec'd car but if anyones interested, I know a dealer in Japan selling a 91 R32 GT-R will exhaust,induction kit,alloys, suspension and intercooler for not a lot of money. I think he wants around 1 million yen (FOB), the car has around 90K kms and a service record I think.

Let me know if you want the email address.

Talat.

·
Registered
168 Posts
insurance

Hi Kim

Bought a 'grey' R33 GTR 3 weeks ago. Like you over 40. I also drive a company jam jar that uses my NCB. As some prat gave me false details when I was rear ended in Dec 98 the company could not make a good claim. I have guaranteed NCB on this car but it did affect my ability to get full NCB as a second car for the GTR. Eventualy got via GSi [advert in Japanese performance mag] with Norwich Union on their club policy an allowance of 2 years NCB with £400 excess on max 4000 miles per annum, no modifications, must have Thatcham cat 1 alarm & immobilser. @ £1495. I coughed as I gave my money over!!

Rgds

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
New GTS - General First Impressions...

Hi, as mentioned last week, we picked up the GTS on Thursday. First impressions are awesome, it hangs on so well round corners. Amazing! God only knows what your tuned GTRs are like.

Do you guys ever meet up - we realise you are country wide, but being down on the South Coast, are there any GTS owners this way???

Let us know.

Insurance by the way. Let down at the last minute by "Insure Your Motor". Upped premium by sixty quid just as we were leaving to collect car. Went to Hyperformance. Better cover for the extra sixty quid. Just scraped in under a grand!!!

·
Registered
6,091 Posts
Events

Kim
Check out the events section

We normally meet at the:-

Grasshopper Inn
Moorhouse Westerham Road(A25) Nr Westerham TN16 2EU 01959 563136

Located on the north side of the A25 between Westerham and Oxted

With an extensive car park, immediate access to the A25 hence about 10mins to the M25,

Hope this helps
Best regards
:cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts