GTR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a retarded question but I need to ask it anyway....I do apologise in advance :nervous:

In order to completely remove these turbos I take it that I have to completely drain the oil and coolant first? otherwise it will all spill everywhere when removing the lines from the turbo?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I know this is a retarded question but I need to ask it anyway....I do apologise in advance :nervous:

In order to completely remove these turbos I take it that I have to completely drain the oil and coolant first? otherwise it will all spill everywhere when removing the lines from the turbo?

You wont have to drain the oil, it will be sitting in the sump mostly, you will get some spillage. Coolant, may as well change it, it doesnt cost as much as oil!

Just make sure you check your Oil levels before driving the car again once they are back on.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
9,743 Posts
Not a fun job that is for sure having stripped my top end recently. Make sure you are equipped with all kinds of funny shaped spanners and ratchets.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I already have a socket set, spanner set and a hammer in case I get angry while doing it lol

I have also placed an order online for a crow's foot spanner set and ratchet extensions.

Hopefully that should cover me in terms of tools needed....

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
thanks mate, appreciate that.

i have a greenish coloured coolant in mine, apparently I should be careful which type I put in due issues with mixing different types of coolant...no idea which one to get.

Anyway, I saw this turbo kit from the raw brokerage website....I know you have a Precision turbo...what is your opinion on this kit and price?

Raw Brokerage Twin Scroll 6466 Turbo Kit 700HP - RB25 RB26 RB30 - Raw Brokerage

Cheers
Price is very good mate, and i have the same wastegates too. I know his manifolds are rated very highly in the US and are copies of the full race manifolds. His also come with a liftetime warranty too. Make sure you get the dual ball bearing version.

You will definitely need those crow feet spanners, and also some stubby spanners will come in handy! 1/4 socket set too!!!

So much easier fitting the single turbo though!!!!

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
this is quite a big undertaking for me...and hope it goes alright without me breaking anything major!

I don't have a stubby spanner just, just the standard length ones. I think i might purchase them. I think my socket set is either 3/8 or 1/4..not sure.

I am undecided on two of the options on the ordering page. I am thinking about going for the 0.84 A/R turbo housing but not sure if I should get the HiTemp ceramic coating?....

As for the turbo...becos the manifold is twin scroll, does this turbo configuration sound good in your opinion?... "T4 Divided In / V-band Out - 0.84" or should i go for the T4 In / V-band out?

Cheers :)

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
this is quite a big undertaking for me...and hope it goes alright without me breaking anything major!

I don't have a stubby spanner just, just the standard length ones. I think i might purchase them. I think my socket set is either 3/8 or 1/4..not sure.

I am undecided on two of the options on the ordering page. I am thinking about going for the 0.84 A/R turbo housing but not sure if I should get the HiTemp ceramic coating?....

As for the turbo...becos the manifold is twin scroll, does this turbo configuration sound good in your opinion?... "T4 Divided In / V-band Out - 0.84" or should i go for the T4 In / V-band out?

Cheers :)
The only thing i have ever done on a car is change the suspension on this GTR and my last 32. I have never done anything like that at all and i managed to do it. You just have to think carefully about what your doing and read up on it as much as possible. I also managed to remove and replace plenum, change the gearbox and swap transfer box too, all on my own with a little guidance from a few people on here or on the phone.

All your really doing is putting taking something apart and putting it back together, it just happens to be in a really tight engine bay!

I would get a 3/8 and 1/4 set. I didn't have a set of stubby spanners but they would have come in very handy. Make sure you have all the tools you need before you start!

It depends how much power you are looking at. I have the 6266 and that is rated at 750bhp so i assume the 6466 is rated at 800+. The bigger the housing on the back effectively the more power you can run.

Definitely go for the divided mani and housing, makes a fair bit of difference on spool.

I personally wouldn't bother with the ceramic coating, its entirely up to you, it will make a difference to the under bonnet temps though.

I would advise heat wrapping the downpipe though.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The kit includes 38mm wastegates and doesn't include the turbo with t4 divided inlet and v-band outlet. So it looks liked I might have to forget about the kit and get the bits separately unless raw brokerage are willing to let me alter the kit. I also quite fancy getting the 44mm wastegates and their v-band downpipe which isn't in the kit.

With regards to changing the gearbox all on your own...that's fantastic mate. I don't have a drive so I don't think a gearbox change is something I can attempt on the road, I would certainly try it if I had the space.

I have read elsewhere that although a bigger housing on the back allows for more power, a smaller housing would be slightly better for response...? unless I am completely wrong...

thanks for all the info so far...i have no doubt I will have more questions soon enough.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am planning to do the swap in the coming 1 or 2 months max. I want a crazy fast car by the time proper summer is here (if we ever do get a proper summer that is) .... thinking of a nice europe trip if all works out...

i was seriously thinking about a borg warner setup, but after seeing the prices at raw brokerage I think i will go with the 6466 kit and hopefully funds permitting, a syvecs s6 setup.

regardless of season, i always keep having plans for my car...it just never stops :)

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Leave it until the winter mate, if you do it anytime soon your car will be off the road for the whole summer, guaranteed!

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
oh!.. really?

I don't understand.... removing the turbos would take a few days max I suppose if I do run into problems... and fitting the single kit is supposed to be much easier so I would imagine once that is done then it's just to get the mapping sorted....?

the downpipe etc are all coming as part of the kit so I don't need to get anything custom made as far as I know.

I can't think of any other reason why the car will have to be off the road unless I do some serious damage to the engine etc... which I hope not.

I take it your car needed to be off the road for ages while doing the swap? curious to know why you think the above...

cheers Nat

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
It is never that easy, both D-ranged and me had unexpected issues whilst doing the swap.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts