GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Funds are now in place, research mostly done, car offically off the road.

The intention is to drop the engine, review it's condidtion and then rebuild and replace as required. The aim for the engine is to be able to run about 450ish bhp (or at least to the capability of the current turbo) with good off boost response and keep it daily driveable.

budget is tight and I intend to do as much of the work myself as possible.

While the engine is out I'm going to give the bodywork some much needed attention, rework the front bumper, design a new rear bumper and do something with the sideskirts (not decided what yet!)

I am also aiming to freshen the suspension replace the coilovers with some better ones and do something with the interior (another decision not yet made!)

I'll keep this thread updated as I progress, so any advice or comments will be welcome :)

Simon

·
Premium Member
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yikes - Posted this back in march and it's nearly the end of may :eek:

Having got slightly distracted with the crash damaged GTSt that I broke up and sold for parts which took a lot longer that I expected it to, but it did give a fantastic insight in the work I need to do with stripping mine down. And got the added bonus of making a little extra cash for the project which is always welcome! :D

Also out of that car came some cusco coilovers and a nismo diff which will go into my car, suspension I wanted to do and the diff I didn't think I'd be able to afford so that is all good to.

I still can't make a decision on colour, but have a couple of thoughts that seem favourite I guess we will see when it gets to the point where the decision has to be made.

I've set myself a target date of getting it done by Japfest 2 at donnington (otherwise it'll never get done!) and I'm trying to convince myself to book some track time as I do love driving donnington.

Simon

·
Premium Member
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The heart of the beast

don't forget you oil cap like I did after topping the oil up!

and this was my test bed!
not nice to see one like this :(

more soon - engine comes out in two weeks!!

Simon

·
Premium Member
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Things are continuing to move at a very slow pace with this, but a month or two ago I went through this process

The head needed to be skimmed as there was some det damage, but not much. The bores were in great shape and the bearings seem to have held up fine despite the abuse I have given it since owning it :D

I then took an age deciding what parts I wanted to use for the rebuild and sent out requests for prices to lots of the main tuners. One or two were a little slow in responding (due to holidays as I later found out) Two didn't even bother to quote, one of those I even chased three times on the basis of the good reputation but to no avail.

One in particular has put up with lots of questions from me over a long period of time and I don't think I even spent any money there yet! (thanks Mark!)

So with quotes in hand I had a look at my budget, did some reworking and juggling, looked at the budget again and found that to get the worry free spec I want that somthing had to be done differently.

·
Premium Member
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I started to scour alternative suppliers to get what I wanted within my available budget, as I didn't want to end up going through this again at a later date. So that left me ordering parts from the USA (pistons, Rods and N1 Oil Pump) Japan (Tomei Cams, timing belt, timing sproket and engine mounts) and New Zealand (Inlet Plenum, Baffled and extended sump and ATI crank Damper)

Everything else will be ordered from UK suppliers, beacuse the saving is not that great or I want to make an order up to a decent value to put something back into the companies that have given me advice inthis process.

An important point to be mentioned here first is that even with DUTY and VAT I still made enough of a saving on the parts I ordered to make it worth the additional hassle and risk, but had I been in more of a hurry, nothing I ordered was not available next day in the UK, no doubt with more backup that I will get from the states or Japan.

The plenum and sump both came from RIPS in NZ, the quality of the work is stunning - I spent an half an hour today discussing with a collegue which is our favorite weld on the plenum. :bowdown1: at at each stage of the process Rob kept me up to date with progress and then shipped with a faster service than we agreed on at no extra cost to me!

I ended up going for Wiesco 86.5mm pistons and Eagle rods (including ARP rod bolts) from the usa, mainly beacuse it makes the rods so cheap.

The only fly in the ointment so far is the tomei cams, they arrived broken :( :mad: there was no apparent damage to the box or packaging but they are both broken in about the same place. Nengun are processing the insurance claim without fuss or hassle and have promised to send out a replacement pair before they recieve the funds from the insurance company - I'll let you know how that pans out.

·
Premium Member
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So Cams aside I now have a big pile of bits to start working with, the block has to go off and be rebored (in the process of arranging that) and then the rest of the rebuild parts all need to be ordered which will be done at the same time as the rebore :)

All I need to do then is put it back together and decide on the running in process! I've decided that I'd like Abbey to Map it this time around, rising sun did a great job before, but I'm interested to see the difference in mapping on the dynapack (and I've long been a fan of Danoh's work)

It'll probably be a while again before I update this thread is the story so far is anything to go by, and I need to work out how I can afford the respray that I promised myself at the start of the process now I have spent all the money on the engine!!

Simon

·
Registered
232 Posts
go to see pics of yours simon, were in the usa have you decided to get your pistons and oil pump ? i have found a guy selling wiseco pistons 87mm for £415,
why did you go for 86.5mm then ?

if you could pm me the website in US it would be good mate and any other bargains you have came across, if i find any i will do the same.

·
Premium Member
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went for 86.5 because I didn't need 87. Then if I have a problem at a later date I have a bit more room for manouver with another rebore.

Simon

·
Premium Member
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
R33 GTR-S or GTS-R??

How time flys........

finnally getting to a stage where I might be not far off finished, except now we have a bit of a twist........

Simon

·
Premium Member
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am sure that some will see this as sacrilage but I am going to put the engine and running gear from my GTSt into this GTR shell.

I came to start prepping the GTSt shell for paint and bodywork and found that in the time the car had been laid up the tinworm had been prolific, both front suspension turrets are toasted and there are various area's of the body itself that are bad as well.

I was lucky that this shell came up when it did, at a price that I couldn't even buy a decent welder and some lessons for. It is very clean both underneath and the body itself and came with the doors and both subframes.

·
Premium Member
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The first job with the new shell was to strip the rest of the interior, I thought it would be easiest to just trasnfer the wiring from one car to the other rather than try and match things up and hope the work okay!

getting the dash out is easy when there are no seats

you can see the dash loom running across the bottom of the windscreen. I did think that this should be the same in both cars, but decide that it was easier not to take the risk.

much less sound deadening than the GTSt

·
Premium Member
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Andy :D

So I was all for keeping the quiet until I was finished but I need some assistance....

the front hubs are my current biggest issue, the chassis rails in the engine bay in the GTR shell are recessed to allow the driveshafts through which means I have to use the GTR front subframe as the GTS subframe doesn't bolt up in the same way.

This gives me a problem with the front lower suspension arm as the GTR arm doesn't fit the GTS hub and the GTS arm doesn't fit the GTR subframe.

my next 'big' problem is the brake lines, the GTR had ABS, which the GTS didn't (nor would I want) so I am looking for ideas on what to do with that - My initial though was just to run braided flexible lines but I'm not sure if there is a bias valve that I'd need?

Simon

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
How on earth did i miss this thread??

Nice to see the stages that your at now after all this time. I still remember the dusty girl everytime I came down before.Cant wait to see the finished product!! Going to have to come down there some time and see the progress for myself one day.

Jim.

·
Premium Member
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well the car may not be going anywhere at the moment but at least it will look good :)

and also ordered a veilside FRP bonnet for a bargain £99 today from nemesis :)

Simon

·
Premium Member
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
GTR rear subfram

Ever wondered what a GTR rear subframe looked like?

it is a mission to try and find some upgraded bushes!!

Simon

1 - 20 of 116 Posts