GTR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im looking for some advice on choosing right housing for GTX3582R.

My turbocharger is fitted with T3 twinscroll 1.01 GT35 housing,
however it wasn't installed in car yet, I'm thinking on buying smaller A/R now.

v-band TS .83 looks great,
but Im curious if the inlet port isn't too small for 6cyl engine ?
currently forged RB28 HKS crank/Wossner pistons + many mods.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
You don't say whether this is a twin or single turbo set-up you are planning.

I ran twin HKS 3037S turbos on my RB30, they were on the upper end of the lag that was OK on the road.

Compressor Wheel (mm):
- Trim: 56
- Inducer: 55.0
- Exducer: 76.2

Turbo Wheel (mm):
- Trim: 84
- Inducer: 60.0
- Exducer: 55.0

I ran the second smallest turbine housing that was available

A/R:
- 0.73: 10cm2

They gave reasonable response, did not shuffle and would pull 157 MPH at TOTB on the 1/4 mile and 194 MPH on the mile.

I think the 3582 has a good bit lager compressor and turbine wheels than the above, as follows:-

Compressor Wheel
Inducer: 66mm
Exducer: 82mm
Trim: 64
Compressor Housing: 0.70 A/R T04S Frame (4" Ported Shroud Inlet and 2.5" Outlet)

Turbine Wheel
Inducer: 68mm
Exducer: 62mm
Trim: 84

The Garrett 3076 turbos have near identical wheel sizes to the HKS 3037S that I previously ran, so may give you some feeling for the response / power you will get.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Just being finicky as it helps to be on the same page:

Compressor Wheel (mm):
- Trim: 56
- Inducer: 55.0
- Exducer: 76.2
Those details contradict themselves, a 55mm inducer, 76.2mm exducer is a 52-trim GT3037S...

I think the 3582 has a good bit lager compressor and turbine wheels than the above, as follows:

Compressor Wheel
Inducer: 66mm
Exducer: 82mm
Trim: 64
Only the Gen2 GTX3582R is a 66mm inducer, the first gen GTX3582R is 62mm - also it seems like a no-brainer that if someone was asking about a twin scroll turbine housing on a GTX3582R for an RB it would be for a single turbo, its way too much turbo in twin form for sensible street use and there is no reasonable way of doing twin twinscroll turbos on a 6 cylinder.... you can't evenly split 6 cylinders 4 ways :)

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Lith,

The figures I used were taken from sales literature, I did not pay any attention to the trim values, it was the wheel sizes that I was focusing on.

Of course you are correct a 55mm inducer with a 76.2mm exducer is a 52-trim.

The figures I quoted were from the Gen 2 GTX3582R, I did not notice anything that suggested which Gen turbo was being considered in the thread, the Gen 2 delivers 100 BHP more than the Gen 1, so would presumably be a better place to start.

I do not agree with your comment about splitting 6 cylinders, there are many exhaust manifolds that split the front and rear set of three cylinders, with a common collector for each three cylinders.

My reason for posting the above is that I also think this set-up would be impossibly laggy as a twin on an RB26, so hopefully we are on the same page there.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I do not agree with your comment about splitting 6 cylinders, there are many exhaust manifolds that split the front and rear set of three cylinders, with a common collector for each three cylinders.
I meant twins with divided housings...

My reason for posting the above is that I also think this set-up would be impossibly laggy as a twin on an RB26, so hopefully we are on the same page there.
OK, I think we might be - I was just thrown by you using response from a pair of GT3037S to help him gauge what would be a totally different kettle of fish.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts