GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive just entered for the gumball rally , new york to l.a.!!! anyone else doing it. reading up on it it sounds f**** awsome. check it out www.gumball3000.com www.gumball3000.com
among the holywwod stars joining it are nicholas cage and jackie chan .
it is going to be filmed in full by helicopters and there will be a dvd and video released in the shops of the whole thing!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sounds terrific! I reckon you will enjoy yourself (after seeing footage of this year's event on TV: incredible!).

Just curious: what car will you be driving? Will you take your R33 to the USA?!

MDG.

PS. Better watch out for Roscoe and his buddies...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
taking my beast of the east to the wild west

yep they ship your car over for you! so im gonna have an awsome time. also taking my mechanic with me! lol

·
Registered
300 Posts
Gunball Rally

Hey mate, sounds fantastic.
Just a funny thing, I posted a few months about the Cannonball Run Europe and never got a SINGLE reply! Funny, this is the UK register full of flash blokes with loads of money and it even starts in England. Nevermind.

Have fun, remember to take your camera!!!

·
Registered
488 Posts
Gumball 3000

Just reading with interest you post about joining the Gumball 3000. Have you actually received the invite from Maximillion yet, and have you fully investigated the implications of taking a fully tooled up GTR-33 to the US?

Some months ago, I was very much into entering myself and got all the way down the line with regard to shipping, US customs and other such issues. My car unfortunately blew up on me and thus I'm now not making the trip as the rebuild is still not complete.

There are a number of issues that you MUST beware of before you commit to this race with regard to US insurance, US customs, US emission laws and US fuel. Please call me on +44 (0)7808 936776 to discuss. They may change the way view this little outing, or indeed you may enlighten me to issues I perceived as insurmountable.

Regards,

Rupert

·
Registered
488 Posts
I second Guy's comments. These are some of the issues I came across:

1) Insurance - Due to the nature of US insurance, the person and not the car is insured. This makes things very difficult, if not impossible when trying to insure an expensive tuned vehicle for a set value. I could find no one who would give me any kind of insurance for my car over that period of time in the US and no UK insurer would extend their cover. How are the other Gumballers achieving this?

2) Importing Vehicle Test & In country running - For my car, which in the US is considered a race car due to emission and noise parameters, I could not find anyway to import the car without signing a declaration stating that I would not use it on a public road. I was also informed that if I was stopped and my car failed a roadside emissions test, the car would be impounded and an effective bail set for it's release! Furthermore, if I had signed the declaration and I was then caught, the car could possibly be impounded indefinitely. Are potential Gumballers aware of this and are they prepared to have their car impounded as soon as they leave the docks in NY? As an extra kick in the head, the US police, in an effort to clamp down on street racing, have roadside emissions tests. Do you really think a beast of a Skyline with a de-cat pipe fitted is going to make it past one of these checkpoints?

3) Fuel - US fuel is inherently dirty, especially when you get out of the cities and into the flat lands. Even with octane booster additives, the necessary 100+ Octane fuel supply required by most tuned vehicles is very difficult to achieve. Has this been taken account of with the route otherwise I can see a number of expensive engines burning away their top ends, especially running at 100% for prolonged periods…

Although it sounds incredibly romantic driving across the US, I suggest you save your money and wait for next years Gumball that will hopefully be held nearer to home, or rent a car from Hertz!

God - What a killjoy, and I haven't even got on to the issues associated with Shipping your pride and joy on a container ship!

Regards,

Rupert

·
Registered
488 Posts
Moody Bastards

Bloody hell Guy - Everyone's gonna think we're a right bunch of moody bastards. Unfortunatly everything that has been stated is true.

Participate at your own peril!

Regards,

Rupert

·
Registered
666 Posts
I did not think you were moody bastards....
I would never call either of you moody:D

Hardly any of us ever do any work and it was all interesting reading I thought.

Like Guy I would not fancy the food in those US prisons though:smokin:

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Cannonball Europe

As it goes Jim I saw a Supra at Bolney Saturday with some Cannonball Run Europe stickers on his car. Do you know what the link for it is then ?

glen

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
not true

apparently hte case with the emmision ad sound laws do not apply if your going over just for a holiday and sign that the car is not being imported. you receive a waiver for the period youve signed that youre visisting for. almot a third of the cars going do not comply witth us regulations, but believe it is all very well organised supported by signiffcant sponsors such as tagheuer , dkny, moet, ferrari etc. also im pretty confident my car will be safe being shipped over as this is being organised by gumball too, and my car is actually sitting opposite a brand new lambo! most of the cars going over from here are i nfact worth many times more than mine and all being shipped to gether. including mc'f1, a pagani , etc. thanks for the concern. also regarding fuel quality, not only ami taking loads of octane booster wiht me but also my good friend and mechanic john gait who is bringing the controller with him to monitor all engine management issues and be able to make any necessary alteations!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
speeding

most of the gumballers i know including myself hae got american cb, scanner radarr and laser detectors. they also notify you if ny police car becomes active withinb 3 miles!:smokin:

·
Registered
488 Posts
Shipping cars and other issues...

I didn't know that Gumball3000 was actually organising the shipping as well. Is this included as part of the entrance fee, or is it an extra? I am interested as to the customs waver issue as I was told in no uncertain terms, that although my car could be imported for a limited amount of time, it would have to be for track use only.

It is a sorely tempting race to take part in, especially with the final finishing party being at Hugh Heffners pad in LA!

I am actually flying out to New York for the start as I have a couple of other mates taking part, so will perhaps see you there. Please do enlighten me more as to the above though, as there still may be time for me to enter if what you say is true.

What are you doing about car insurance? My other colleagues are simply not bothering - pretty stupid if you ask me!

Rupert

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well..

the shipping is extra but at a cost of £1450 including customs duty it is good deal. gumball have organised the special rate with maersk. regarding laws i have been assured byt the organisers that alot of the cars are "illegal" but can get with it on the basis that it is just for a short term, maybe gumball rally qualifys as track use :D lol who knows? insurance wise im just getting a green card from my insurers, he assures me its all sorted.

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
BNR32
6,662 Posts
Micheal,

Out of interest did you go in the end?

I did hear a few stories, but coverage over here was thin.:(

How did you get on?

How'd your car perform?:D

Any stories/brushes with the law?:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts