GTR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Some of you may wonder why i put this on here but i am gutted as i missed the Ace cafe meet a couple of weeks back!!! I spoke to moo a couple of days before and it turns out we have been to several meets before! Anyway long story short as i was looking foward to meeting everyone, i hit a puddle of standing water on the drive down when it had been pi**ing down with rain, pulling from the middle lane to outside to avoid spray at 68mph lost the back end and hit a friends car!!!
Possibly the worst day of my life!! Cars being repaired over the next few weeks while im in america!!! I get back on the 12th of june so look foward to seeing you all then!!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what upset me the most!!! I have driven spiritedly many times, but to have an acciedent when going so slow really wound me up!!! Anyway as soon as im back from america and shes all lovely and fresh i look foward to seeing everyone!!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I think I will give you a miss if were driving in a convoy, Lol

Bobby

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
I assume you were on the oem run flats? Absolutely lethal on standing water. I drive about 50 when it rains!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah i learnt a valuable lesson about run flats!! I think i need new ones, even if there is 3-4mm left on them!!! Scared the hell out of me!!!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident.. How much damage did you do? Everyone ok?

Even brand new bridge stones are crap in the wet/ standing water ... Get some MPSS

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Lots of people seem to have concerns with the run flats and water and when I first got my GT-R I found it a little bit of a struggle.

Now I find them more than capable in the wet or even snow. I think it's just a case of getting used to them. Heading to Belgium last week it was a huge downpour but found no issues.

Sorry to hear of your car though and glad your'll be back on the road soon. Where in the States are you out of interest, I'm off to Florida shortly.

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
No sidewall compliance, super stiff and horrible, I had them on my BMW and got them changed quick!

Hope you get your car sorted, bad luck mate :(

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the above comments. Perhaps getting used to them is needed as i had a EVO 9 FQ360 and STI9 before this and they handle very well!!
Loving the car and yes everyone is fine thanks so much for the concern means alot. The car effectivley saved our lives so im happy there! Cracked front bumper but no real problems!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Sorry to head that. I nearly got caught out in the beginning. 60 in heavy rain feels safe. 70 can feel a little sketchy!

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Same old comments lol, it's not the tyre's fault, Dunlop and Bridgestone RF's are fine in the rain. MPSS last twice as long for a pretty simple reason.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Same old comments lol, it's not the tyre's fault, Dunlop and Bridgestone RF's are fine in the rain. MPSS last twice as long for a pretty simple reason.
RFs are ok in the rain but snake a lot when there's standing water. Think there are enough reports from owners who have switched to mpss and described the wet weather improvement to suggest that the RFs are compromised in heavy rain

·
Registered
626 Posts
Sorry to hear of your accident. Hope you get a decent repair done.

on the subject of tyres..... I like the run flats and run the car all year round on them. Not an ideal wet weather tyre but once your used to them they are great imho.

Seems a low speed to spin though. Ive hit standing water before thats just resulted in a scrap with the steering wheel but never even close to losing control.

Best of luck with the repairs

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
RFs are ok in the rain but snake a lot when there's standing water. Think there are enough reports from owners who have switched to mpss and described the wet weather improvement to suggest that the RFs are compromised in heavy rain
I agree and having both sets of tyres on 2 sets of wheels the MPSS are much better in the wet.

However, the RF aren't as some deem totally useless like Toyo R888's in the wet for example

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I think many let the money saving compromise their opinion some what, and the fact that they've changed from worn out RF's to brand new MPSS.

I find RF's great in the wet, I guess a lot comes down to what you've been used to.

MPSS though are lethally hard below 2.5mm tread, as said above they last twice as long for a reason, and that reason is they are made of a hard compound which obviously gives less all round grip.

·
Banned
3,066 Posts
I agree and having both sets of tyres on 2 sets of wheels the MPSS are much better in the wet.

However, the RF aren't as some deem totally useless like Toyo R888's in the wet for example
R888 are ok in the wet, they just don't like standing water

1 - 18 of 18 Posts