GTR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And get paid for doing it!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4816520.stm

Will this tempt any of us PC gamer guys into the world of Mac.

I know you can already get Office running on the Mac but will the Mac guys be happier with the extended gaming choice this brings?

·
Premium Member
4,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
True, but they would have to do that to get the system to boot correctly I guess.

Question is, would you be happy playing a game on your Mac using the hacked system?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'm actually about to attempt this for a friend. He wants a Mac mini Dual Core running XP. I've downloaded the instructions so it's worth a try.

Is it really classed as a hacked version of windows though. All they've done is got a licensed copy of windows and reordered the data onto a blank cd so the mac will read it.

Paul

·
Premium Member
4,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He'll be ok.
I warned him not to misbehave or he would have to pay in shots of tequilla when we meet up next week.
Can't promise anything for the week after though.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Will do. In fact if everything goes well I might be tempted myself. Even though I've just built myself the most overspec'd HTPC you could imagine. Windows MCE is great though!!!!

Oooh there's a thought. Mac Mini Dual Core running a dual boot with Windows MCE. Think of the possibilities!!!

Paul

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Mark, I think it would take a real idiot to say one operating system is infinitely better than the other. Both serve their purposes but unfortunately neither is perfect.

I like OSX for my laptops as it's quite simply the best lifestyle tool. But I use XP Pro for home PC and Office PC's because there is a far wider availability of developer software.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
I wasnt implying that one was better, I was just saying it was different, I have used Linux, QNX, Amiga OS, Windows and MacOS as well as a few others, I cant decide on a BEST as, like you say, they all have good/bad points. It would be nice if all those OS systems ran on all puters, but its also nice to have different hardware solutions to look at too.

Mark.

·
Banned
324 Posts
hehe I actually spoke about this maybe 9 months ago about Windows running on Intel Macs and what a huge thing this is. And it IS huge. Certain people said I was talking bollocks...Oh well here goes...

Be very clear - this is just a first effort. Dual-booting sucks.

Later, and preferred solutions (including a new Virtual PC itself) will run Virtual PC stylie at near native speeds in order to allow interopereable OS - ie drag n drop between OS and shared drives etc - just like the current Virtual PC - but FAST. MOST importantly running Windows on top of OS X will AT LAST make Windows 100% secure! That's right - Windows will run BETTER on a Mac. Imagine running Windows without the risk of viruses! I know that sounds RIDICULOUS - but that is what you will get. :)

This current solution is not yet fine-tuned - there are still some driver issues etc but it's only a day old! They will knock this into shape and it will do until a virtualised solution is available.

The solution has been widely available in Bittorrent et al. for some time now.

I have no problem running PC Games via Windows on my Mac and i intend to do so, I have no need for any Windows apps as despite what many people seem to think there is a HUGE software resourse available for OS X.

NOW - what does this mean?

a) People at last will be able to see OS X vs Windows on one system and be able to see very quickly what all the fuss about OS X is. Apple are VERY happy for people to compare Windows to OSX head to head. You will see why they are happy about this when you do it.

b) Existing Mac users will be able to run the latest games and proprietary apps that they use at work for example. 2 machines no longer required.

c) There are MANY people that have huge investments in PC software who have considered it too much of an investment to buy a Mac and cross-grade all ther software. NOW they can run it all. One big reason not to switch vanished.

d) When the time comes for a new replacement computer - what do you do? Mac = OS X / Windows / Linux, PC= Windows / Linux. Why would you buy a limited solution?

e) Macs gets more exposure, interest and press = sales.

I am aware that there are all sorts out there and some may even JUST run Windows on Mac hardware. Yes you could. But you would be an utter twat.

Many people will wonder what all the fuss is about - but believe me they are more than enough people sitting on the fence that will now buy an Apple Mac to make a huge difference to Apple's revenues.

Apple have everything to gain from this. It can offer a machine that can run just about ANY app and offer solutions for everyone.

Apple has stated it will never actively support running Windows on there hardware, however they will do nothing to stop it. This was the plan all along. And the killer blow is still to come. But that is for future discussion.

PS For those who think that OS X will ever run properly on a PC - you can keep on dreaming. The hacked Dev version runs with reduced functionality slowwwwwly and is broken on every Apple software update. To use it as a viable solution for the masses will NEVER be possible.

PPS There is a book to be written about my thoughts on this, but that will do for now!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts