GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year, I bought Andrew186's Stage 4 GTR which was a great car.....I sold it after a few months of ownership as it was a bit wild for me, and now Ive gone all sensible, driving a car that is more like a washing machine than a car (Passat TDi)

I promised myself another performance car by 2015, and am wondering what
to get next

I'm looking to spend a max of £70k, preferably nearer the £50k mark, and the contenders so far are:

- BMW M5

I owned LOTS of BMWs over the years, and have driven a friends F10 M5 extensively, great car, but not that special to look at

- R8 V10 (cue Flynn...) Spyder

Really like these but not sure if its a bit hairdresser/midlife crisis (Im a young 37y/o)

V8 Vantage (4.7 or V12 if I can find one within budget which is unlikely).....looks amazing but not sure the driving experience would be all that for some reason(never driven one!)

Ferrari F430.....love the looks/specialness but hate cars that break down and Im pretty sure a F430 would be trouble....

Can you guys give any more contenders.....Im basically after something fast and special.......no criteria re number of doors etc, just want a car with some wow factor that is good to drive, and which holds it value reasonably well...

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Im assuming you are keeping the Passat as a daily....
What are you going to be using the weekend car for? Casual driving? Long trips? Track days?

I tested a couple of Astons and just felt out of place in them... I wear tshirts, shorts and flip flops, felt like a tool getting out of an Aston. However, one day I will get one... though it will probably be the V8 version.

I have tested the R8 V10 and C63, later was very disappointing and Mercedes service was even more disappointing. The R8 was very good...the gear change on the V10 was not smooth and there is a serious lack of space for anything! Other than that though, its a lovely car, fantastic sound, looks good, etc, but I wouldnt trade my GTR for it.

A good friend of mine bought a new M5 and its a nice car, quick and all, but personally, I put in the same category as the C63, RS Audis etc. The are just average cars that have been tweaked. Would probably think differently if they didnt have diesel version that looked exactly the same.

For me, the everyday useability of the GTR is what makes it so good. Missus drives it, we took it on the Euro tour (4 weeks 4000+ miles), track days and drive home, etc.

I also classify myself as one of the lucky ones with regards the GTR, I got a 2010 model on an 11 plate. I paid a fair bit under £60k for the car, have chosen most of the mods carefully (not gone overboard, etc) and the car has been well maintained (servicing and paintwork). For me, my car is rather special :D

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Out of all of those i'd choose what i chose & that's the F10 M5.

I'd naturally prefer in the looks/performance stakes the R8 V10, but at the budget you're quoting you'll not get a facelift model so will be dated inside & doubt you'd get any R8 V10 for £50k so you'd possibly be looking at big bills as no warranty.

V8 Vantage is a nice looker but again quite dated now & performance is somewhat lacking even the V12 would struggle against some cars as i believe it's still low 4's to 62 & a V12 is likely out of your mentioned budget.

Fezza 430 is stunning but as above it's now an old model & the running costs at your spend level could be crippling.

Totally agree the M5 is nothing special to look at, but that's always been the draw of BMW M's in that they don't shout about what they can do. All the other cars you mention, the M5 could certainly stick with on the road yet it looks like a slightly pumped up 5 Series. You also get the benefit of reliability (at your budget you'd have plenty of Warranty) & none of the other cars mentioned come close for interior/creature comforts & effortless driving when the mood takes.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Out of all of those i'd choose what i chose & that's the F10 M5.

I'd naturally prefer in the looks/performance stakes the R8 V10, but at the budget you're quoting you'll not get a facelift model so will be dated inside & doubt you'd get any R8 V10 for £50k so you'd possibly be looking at big bills as no warranty.

V8 Vantage is a nice looker but again quite dated now & performance is somewhat lacking even the V12 would struggle against some cars as i believe it's still low 4's to 62 & a V12 is likely out of your mentioned budget.

Fezza 430 is stunning but as above it's now an old model & the running costs at your spend level could be crippling.

Totally agree the M5 is nothing special to look at, but that's always been the draw of BMW M's in that they don't shout about what they can do. All the other cars you mention, the M5 could certainly stick with on the road yet it looks like a slightly pumped up 5 Series. You also get the benefit of reliability (at your budget you'd have plenty of Warranty) & none of the other cars mentioned come close for interior/creature comforts & effortless driving when the mood takes.
Good point about the budget, the V10 R8 (hardtop) that I drove was high £70s (if I remember correctly).

Cayman GTS seems to be a popular choice
Alfa 4C :cool: :runaway: shame about the 2 year wait list and possibly an aerotop version coming soon

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Im assuming you are keeping the Passat as a daily....
What are you going to be using the weekend car for? Casual driving? Long trips? Track days?

I tested a couple of Astons and just felt out of place in them... I wear tshirts, shorts and flip flops, felt like a tool getting out of an Aston. However, one day I will get one... though it will probably be the V8 version.

I have tested the R8 V10 and C63, later was very disappointing and Mercedes service was even more disappointing. The R8 was very good...the gear change on the V10 was not smooth and there is a serious lack of space for anything! Other than that though, its a lovely car, fantastic sound, looks good, etc, but I wouldnt trade my GTR for it.

A good friend of mine bought a new M5 and its a nice car, quick and all, but personally, I put in the same category as the C63, RS Audis etc. The are just average cars that have been tweaked. Would probably think differently if they didnt have diesel version that looked exactly the same.

For me, the everyday useability of the GTR is what makes it so good. Missus drives it, we took it on the Euro tour (4 weeks 4000+ miles), track days and drive home, etc.

I also classify myself as one of the lucky ones with regards the GTR, I got a 2010 model on an 11 plate. I paid a fair bit under £60k for the car, have chosen most of the mods carefully (not gone overboard, etc) and the car has been well maintained (servicing and paintwork). For me, my car is rather special :D
Got to pick you up on your average cars that have been tweaked comment regarding AMG/RS/M. That couldn't be further from the truth as virtually everything mechanical (the bits that matter) on those cars is bespoke to the model. Agreed the body style is similar to other models & the general layout of the interior, but the Driver bits could not be further removed from the rest of the range.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Got to pick you up on your average cars that have been tweaked comment regarding AMG/RS/M. That couldn't be further from the truth as virtually everything mechanical (the bits that matter) on those cars is bespoke to the model. Agreed the body style is similar to other models & the general layout of the interior, but the Driver bits could not be further removed from the rest of the range.
As I said, its just the way it comes across to me.... it feels like someone engine swapped a v8 into a Mercedes (for the C63). I just dont like it........

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
The beauty of the GTR is that it is a great allrounder, practical, fast, looks good ( ok not a lambo but i dont think it looks ugly like some say) and reasonably priced.

Hence its hard for me to say anything other than get another GTR.

If you want to throw others into the mix try a jag XKR or F Type. Both look and sound great and have that jag quality. Although not v practical and not GTR quick.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
As I said, its just the way it comes across to me.... it feels like someone engine swapped a v8 into a Mercedes (for the C63). I just dont like it........
They did, along with a different transmission, chassis, suspension, steering, exhaust, wheels, tyres, electronics & badges;)

I do get your point & am kind of jesting as what you describe is the whole basis for a Q car, that being a total wolf in sheeps clothing, however the carry over from the lesser models to the performance models is in the main purely visual as everything that matters is night & day different.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
The beauty of the GTR is that it is a great allrounder, practical, fast, looks good ( ok not a lambo but i dont think it looks ugly like some say) and reasonably priced.

Hence its hard for me to say anything other than get another GTR.

If you want to throw others into the mix try a jag XKR or F Type. Both look and sound great and have that jag quality. Although not v practical and not GTR quick.
FType is nice.... didnt Flynn have one for a few days?

They did, along with a different transmission, chassis, suspension, steering, exhaust, wheels, tyres, electronics & badges;)

I do get your point & am kind of jesting as what you describe is the whole basis for a Q car, that being a total wolf in sheeps clothing, however the carry over from the lesser models to the performance models is in the main purely visual as everything that matters is night & day different.
I know what you mean, I just dont like them.... have tried them, but they just are not something I would buy :popcorn:

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts

I cant understand why someone would want a performance car that looks like your average everyday car. Maybe I'm a Chav!

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
FType is nice.... didnt Flynn have one for a few days?

I know what you mean, I just dont like them.... have tried them, but they just are not something I would buy :popcorn:
Yes he did

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I cant understand why someone would want a performance car that looks like your average everyday car. Maybe I'm a Chav!
Because i have no need or desire to shout about what hides under my bonnet. To all but a car dullard it's obvious an M5 is an M5 & not a 520d, the same applies to a C63 over a C180 & an RS6 over an A6 TDi. However i like the subtle approach as everyone who rocks up at a set of lights in a GT-R kind of gives the game away they have a quick car but in an M/RS/AMG it's less obvious.

Also in the main, Q cars offer a practicality that other Sports cars can't so i can schlep across Europe in luxury & refinement but act like a hooligan whilst holding my own on track. To me & naturally it's down to personal taste, i get the best of both worlds rather than the best of one.

Final point is being i'm customer facing, the GT-R was let's be honest a bit in your face & my hopeful next car will carry that same banner, but i like to mix it up a little so for now not shouting about the fact i've got a £75k is no bad thing:)

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Because i have no need or desire to shout about what hides under my bonnet. To all but a car dullard it's obvious an M5 is an M5 & not a 520d, the same applies to a C63 over a C180 & an RS6 over an A6 TDi. However i like the subtle approach as everyone who rocks up at a set of lights in a GT-R kind of gives the game away they have a quick car but in an M/RS/AMG it's less obvious.

Also in the main, Q cars offer a practicality that other Sports cars can't so i can schlep across Europe in luxury & refinement but act like a hooligan whilst holding my own on track. To me & naturally it's down to personal taste, i get the best of both worlds rather than the best of one.

Final point is being i'm customer facing, the GT-R was let's be honest a bit in your face & my hopeful next car will carry that same banner, but i like to mix it up a little so for now not shouting about the fact i've got a £75k is no bad thing:)
Maybe thats the difference, Im not customer facing and the GTR is weekend only car. Have a s**tbox (or 2) for the station.... I prefer something that is different, not necessarily loud or shouting, just different.

·
Banned
3,066 Posts
The R8 was very good...the gear change on the V10 was not smooth
The S Tronic is one of the smoothest automated manuals available.

The R Tronic was a pigs arse

Not the same cars, and cant be compared

The F Type was great, but not a patch on the R8.

Taking the R8 out is an event. The attention it gets compared to the GTR is tenfold. Not always a good thing though.

I am also 37 by the way ;)

The BMW M5 is a great car for a family, but will fade into the back ground

V8 Vantage is a bit old hat now. Vanquish or GTFO

Ferrari F430.....old. Scud or GTFO

All depends on what your are after. I do regret not pushing a bit more and going for a 12C.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts

Good to know.... I tested one of the latest cars and didnt like it, would have thought that the demo car would have the best parts, but maybe not.

What happened to your thread on the F-Type? I tried searching, but cannot find....

·
Registered
1,365 Posts

Amen to that although the S-Tronic isn't an automated manual, it's a dual clutch auto. Their have been automated manuals such as SMG in BMW's (Sequential Manual Gearbox), i think E-Gear & R-Tronic in Lambo's were also sequential manuals, however DSG/DCT/S-Tronic boxes are twin clutch Auto's

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Good to know.... I tested one of the latest cars and didnt like it, would have thought that the demo car would have the best parts, but maybe not.

What happened to your thread on the F-Type? I tried searching, but cannot find....
No idea when R-Tronic left the R8 range but if the car you drove was recent & a fairly new model then i'd have to think you drove an S-Tronic.

·
Banned
3,066 Posts

·
Registered
4,494 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Maybe thats the difference, Im not customer facing and the GTR is weekend only car. Have a s**tbox (or 2) for the station.... I prefer something that is different, not necessarily loud or shouting, just different.
My GT-R was my daily driver other than certain journeys where i'd use the wife's Q5. My GT-R usage was track days along with fortnightly 500 mile round trips from Lancs to Suffolk (changed jobs after buying the car) & the latter soon became a bit of a chore in a GT-R but the former remained great fun.

Also it did stand out a bit in the Company car park. Had i worked for a bank in the City then this point would not have been as valid;)

Next car (fingers crossed) will be a 991 Turbo or Turbo S so i'll be shout again then. My Ops Director has just sold his full fat Rangie & bout an F-Type rag top.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts