GTR Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had to replace one of the hard brake lines that run from the front of the car to the rear brakes? I have been replacing brake lines and hoses on my car. I have done three corners but the rear left nut is rusted on and has rounded off, despite me being super-careful. I was wondering how easy it is to get at the junction where they connect at the front of the car. If anyone knows and can tell me, it'll save me getting it all jacked up and removing the undertrays just to have a look!

·
Vendor
3,580 Posts
Rust off is a good product to use and an induction heat gun as well, I always use a gas home soldering torch to warm up and brake connections, I’ve found it to work the best. I’ve tried about every brand from cheap to expensive spanner’s and they just round them off.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply - I have a home gas torch and already tried that but it didn’t seem to help, even with penetrating oil. I know a mechanic who has an induction gun, it’s amazing but unfortunately not really something I could justify buying as an amateur home mechanic! Perhaps I’ll have to take the car to him and get him to remove it. I’d prefer to do it myself if I could, I always feel like a failure when I have to go to him for help!

·
Vendor
3,580 Posts
I’ve found with the smaller butane guns to be the best, it focuses on the area more that needs it rather than warming a bigger are. For the bigger stuff i bought a benzamatic gun off eBay with the can in the holster and not on the gun so you can get in tight places.

I never had any luck trying to remove any of the pipes without heat With the exception of the abs pump.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts