GTR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
what is the benefit of going to hard pipes? Do the stock rubber pipes flex that much? Whenever I consider a hard pipe set, the thought of the metal transmitting extra heat to the intake air system seems to negate any benefit metal pipes might give. Am I totally off?

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
what is the benefit of going to hard pipes? Do the stock rubber pipes flex that much? Whenever I consider a hard pipe set, the thought of the metal transmitting extra heat to the intake air system seems to negate any benefit metal pipes might give. Am I totally off?
they won't split like rubber and also harder for them to 'blow off'

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm in the process of upgrading my turbos and running more boost, so I want to get all the supporting mods out of the way. I had a friend that ran more boost on one of his cars and he kept on blowing his rubber tubes. Plus on an older BNR32 like mine, who know's how long it will be before they start to show their age?

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
hmm, maybe if the connections were insulated rubber or something of the like, so that the FMIC piping doesn't directly have any metal to metal contact with the feed from the turbos or the intake plenum on the other end. And being rigid, the pipes can't blow off. Or is that already how they're done, and I'm just a jackass? :p

In any event, even if I were running huge turbos and hard pipes, I'd spraycoat the shiny pipes with some kind of rubber undercoating to try to keep it stock looking, at least at casual glance. All the better to hustle some idiot/egomaniacal M3 driver out of 500 quid in a street drag :)

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
I'm in the process of upgrading my turbos and running more boost, so I want to get all the supporting mods out of the way. I had a friend that ran more boost on one of his cars and he kept on blowing his rubber tubes.
what turbos/boost level are you going for? And what was your friend running?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts