GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
9,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have stripped part of my engine, the damper is also knackered with chunks taken out the outer pulley face possibly in the past when someone has tried to remove it with a pulley remover.

So now I need a new pulley.

There are too many to chose from with what I have researched ATI seems the most popular comes in a 500bhp version and a 1000bhp version. But over drives AC and under drives PAS. Needs a rebuild every few years.

Ross metal jacket is another option but their website does not give much info if they are capable of running all 3 belts.

Fluidamper - on paper looks great does not need a rebuild and runs std size pulleys but been reading about the gel setting inside and throwing the pulley out of balance.

OEM, Mines stage 2 seem to use it on their stage 2 engines, but I do want to rev my engine once it has been fully rebuilt with forged internals and fully balanced etc.

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
I have the Ross Race without ac pulley. As said above, they DO have dampers that do have AC though.
ATI as I understand it require rebuilding after a period of time whereas Ross do not!

No point in putting OEM back on IMHO. If you do though, I have one for sale cheap.

TT

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
Rebuild for ATI is cheap and easily DIY. Just did mine a few weeks back. You don't have to rebuild it very often.

The design is like many well engineered products, a simple yet elegant solution.

In pieces

Rebuild with AEM Infinity 24 tooth shell.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
I use a ross metal jacket and its all good but pas pulley needs to be undersized and even then just 1mm out of line and it will throw the belts.

see my thread here

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/241625-pas-belts-flying-off-ross-metal-jacket.html

for the record I had no issues on the stock pulley where my pas pump pulley must of been out of line as nothing changed when I fitted the ross and had all the trouble.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Scooby,

I had the exact same issue with the ATI damper...

...solution was to check alignment of PAS and crank pulley together with the right tension of the belt...

...1st track day before the ckeck I needed 3 PAS belts, next track day after no issus at all :thumbsup:

BTW also with the stock crank pulley on the PAS belt jumps a lot, it seems it's just not enough to be thrown off.

Cheers,

Leo

·
Registered
439 Posts
I will use Fluidampr and see if it works properly. From the engineering POV, I'm really looking forward to it and think it might be a really good stuff :)
And as with all parts it's just a question of preference what people want to use. And I mostly like newly engineered stuff as it mostly has combined all experiences from the problems with previous or other products. :)

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
I considered fluidampr but I don't like the idea of the fluid in it and something to go wrong. I actually ordered the fluidampr from America but canceled it and went with Ross.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
What do You think should happen with the fluid? There is far more dangerous fluids in the car to be concerned about :)

I just think its a bad idea with fluid in there that moves, if it stops moving and sits one side..........

its not for me anyway

·
Registered
200 Posts
I run a Fluidampr, and like it a lot. No issues at all over driving accessories or jumping belts, just install and tighten to (I think it was 320 ft lbs?).

You really don't have to worry about the fluid in a fluidampr, because the fluid is only an issue if overheated. You won't overheat the fluid with a street car--Heat is created when the fluid shears when dampening a harmonic. The only application I wouldn't use one on is a flat-out boat or when you will be running at or near a harmonic zone for long periods of time. You won't be doing that with a street car, and the Fluidampr also has the benefit of being able to dampen more than one harmonic frequency. You won't have to have it balanced, it doesn't have to be rebuilt, and the price is good.

I don't sell the product or own stock in the Fluidampr company, just stating what the product does and how well I like it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I ran fluidampr in my old evo 9 without a single issue which is why I considered buying another one for my GTR. I havent heard of many issues with them settling the fluid but if anyone has first hand experience id be curious to hear your results as I am currently in the market for a harmonic damper.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
I run a Fluidampr, and like it a lot. No issues at all over driving accessories or jumping belts, just install and tighten to (I think it was 320 ft lbs?).

You really don't have to worry about the fluid in a fluidampr, because the fluid is only an issue if overheated. You won't overheat the fluid with a street car--Heat is created when the fluid shears when dampening a harmonic. The only application I wouldn't use one on is a flat-out boat or when you will be running at or near a harmonic zone for long periods of time. You won't be doing that with a street car, and the Fluidampr also has the benefit of being able to dampen more than one harmonic frequency. You won't have to have it balanced, it doesn't have to be rebuilt, and the price is good.

I don't sell the product or own stock in the Fluidampr company, just stating what the product does and how well I like it.

as I said I don't trust it, my engine turns 8700 rpm and gets used hard a lot and I don't trust a moving fluid in a damper.

also fluidampr doesn't have a removeable pas pulley for crank trigger.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Your engine turns 7k RPM+ for 30 mins+ at a time?

The Fluidampr does have a removable PAS pulley.

I never mentioned 30 mins lol

they have there place on low revving diesels, not high revving petrols imo its another variable I don't want hanging off the end of my crank at 8700 rpm.

·
Registered
9,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Lol this is getting silly now. I don't think they are as bad as what your making them out to be. I can understand that the gel can solidify and stick to one side but has this ever happened or is it just something that can happened theoretically?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Lol this is getting silly now. I don't think they are as bad as what your making them out to be. I can understand that the gel can solidify and stick to one side but has this ever happened or is it just something that can happened theoretically?

It has happened, or at least there have been secondhand stories(take that as you will)---in an application that I stated earlier that it would not be a good match for.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts

lol nothing is getting silly I build engines and research everything I do as best I can.

a crankshaft cannot be balanced with a fluidampr bolted to it or it will be balanced out of balance, the reason being a fluidampr is never in balance it is constantly changing due to its moving parts inside which makes them no good for our application imo, they are well suited to big low revving engines.

on a big diesel revving to 1300 rpm max like the engines I run and build they have been used and also are used on ship engines aswell because they are huge engines with a lot of engine vibration to control which they are well designed for imo.

heres is all the information you will need so you know all the facts around crank dampers

Damper White Paper : BHJ Dynamics, Harmonic Dampers and Specialty Crankshaft Vibration Dampers

1 - 20 of 42 Posts