GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Does anyone know if there are really captive bolts already in place for racing harness fitment ??

I have heard a few roumours that they exist but have not verified this.
I am going to fit a 3 point harness to my car for track day use but I have no Idea where the fixing points are within the car. Rather than go drilling holes etc.. I thought I'd ask you guys who have them already.

The cars that I have seen with the harness fixings in have had the centre cusion removed from the rear seat, is there a way around this ? did you fix the lap strap beside or behind the seat ?

Thanks for any help..

/Steve

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Harness

Hi Steve,

You can change the bolt that are fixed to standard safty belt to eye-bolt of the harness.
Then you can fix them(standard harness and aftermarket harness) together.
Does it make sense?
I have to learn English much harder.:(

Yours,
Shin

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lost...

Hi Shin, thanks for your immediate reply !! :)

I am not sure that I understand,

I could see fixing one point to the seatbelt attachment but what of the other two ? or do I connect the 2 lap restraints to the same point (but around the seat) and the top one to the top point of the seat belt ?

Thank you

Steve

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Hi Steve,

I show you with image.
It is for 4 seater's image, but it is as the same as GTR.
We usually use these hole to fix harness in Japan.

Yours,
Shin

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
excellent..

Thanks again Shin.

I shall have a play at the weekend.

regards
Steve

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Steve,

Firstly you need to decide if you want the harbness to remain in situ or if you want to remove it from time to time. If you want to be able to remove it you will need to fit eye-bolts and use a clasp mechanism on the harness. Fitting the eye-bolts require three, or four (or six) locations. The lap strap can be secured where the current harness is. i.e. one on the door-side floor, the other against the seat. The third, or third & fourth, point needs to be at the back of the rear seat. If you remove the rear seat squab you will see where they can be secured but you will probably have to install a captive nut. If you opt for the eye bolts in the back you will need to remove the rear squab every time you want to fit/remove the harnesses so you may opt for leaving these in and putting them tyhrough standard bolts and captive nuts.

British standard regulations now alow for multi-point harness as long as they have a seat-belt type lock. The aircraft-type locking mechanism is not BS approved for road use. So you can leave a multi-point harness in for every day use as long as it has the correct clasp.

Hope that helps
John

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
buckle..

John,

The harness which I have bought has the seatbelt style clasp in the centre but I am not sure I want to drive to tesco etc.. with a racing harness on. The removeable or even leave it there and use the seatbelt instead option may be the way forward, also I'd like to reserve the right to be able to take 3 passengers in the car.

Shin, I agree with Dave here, Even after 11 years of Karate I can only just manage to pick a fight in traditional/antiquated Japanese !! and say yes/no. Or announce what type of thing I am going to attack the opponent with :D .

Thanks everyone.

Steve

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Then

Thank you Dave and Steve.
Anyway I would like to speak in English much better.
All the Japanese study English for 6 years from junior high school to high school.
By the way, do you understand where to fix them?

Yours,
Shin

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Shin,

I will with the help of the drawing and when I look at the seat in detail. I shall print out the diagrams.

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Steve,

what Karate do you study?
I have been doing Kyokushin for about 8 years now.
My japanese goes to about ten in their words and I know my left, right, back, forward and so on. Only through learning it, whilst in profue physical trouble... Would not have a clue how to write it though..
Mae-Kiage, Ushiro-Geri, Uchi-Kiage, Mae-Uchi-Uchirogeri and so on.
Clever bunch all round if you ask me.
Does Henri not study the martial arts?
NLW.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Shotokan Karate, but I knocked it on the head last August.

I miss the scraps though:D

competitions were funny because I am not tall and fairly fat :eek: so when I kicked them round the side of the head it came as a shock ;)

I never got anywhere on the competition front as they seem to be dominated by a few really good ones and you have to be able to levitate using jedi mind tricks to beat them..

keep kickin dude

Steve

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
dedication's what you need...

Guy,

you are dead right about the dedication, 3 nights a week for 11 years with one of those nights being a Friday (now divorced and seeking next ex wife on Fridays !!):D

So what style do you teach then Henry...

I remember I read an article by one of the top instructors in fighting arts mag, and he said Little blokes who know how to fight are handy but give me a big bloke who knows how to fight every time !! they don't come much bigger than Henry;)

Where abouts do you train/teach Henry ?

I was up for my 2nd Dan grading when I stopped as I didn't want to get the grade then run away, that would have been out of order.

·
Registered
997 Posts
It`s True.

Ren Yi Wu Kwan Tang Sou Dao.(Chinese).That is what it`s called.

Henry:smokin:

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Just to join in.....

I studied Wadu Ryu for 7 to 8 years, achieving 1st dan black belt. Gave up after 3 years of having my blackbelt...was ready for 2nd dan.

I also was taught (unofficially) by the same instructors Tai Chi Chuan - although it was adapted somewhat.

I also did 1.5 years of Kickboxing with the same club..and worked my way through several belts.

I gave the whole lot up at the same time....although am considering taking it up again.

As for tournaments...i entered nearly every other week.....won my first, also won the sussex open and got disqualified from every other tournament i entered - for accessive contact (oops).

Fought once in the ring (kickboxing, full contact)...never had the chance to have another go.

Can't beat martial arts for fitness if you ask me. I've never been inthat kind of shape since i stopped....which is why i'm considering taking it up again.

And i agree with everyone, Shin your english is superb.

Cheers,
Daz

PS Hope you get those harnesses fitted steve mate....

·
Registered
997 Posts
Steve,
I `m living in Horsham for a while,you`re only 15 minutes away,want to meet up at the Bolney Stage? or I`ll send you a PM with my address for this Saturday coming,I`ve got a 4 point harness fitted in my GTR but only use it for "serious" occasions.
I will leave it to you.

Henry.:smokin:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts