GTR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there away to connect harness to the isofix slots in rear attachment of some kind,just don't want a bar in the back and will only use harness on trackdays.

Cheers

·
Registered
196 Posts
to be 100% clear....i screwed in new bolts with eyes into the current mounting points for the rear seat belts and then clipped the harness to that....hope that helps..

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
I did the same...undid rear seat belt bolts as they go into chassis, fitted harness bracket with the standard bracket and put bolt back in.

Easy job. No need for a bar.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool so rear seat out unscrew seatbelt bolts

Fix harness bracket in place of seat belt using original bolts

Seat back in???

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
No fit harness brackets as well as seatbelt ones....:)

the only issue it think we had was to put a slightly longer bolt in the position under the front seat where you lap belt goes to on the gearbox trunk side...

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Anyone got any links to kits for this setup? Fancy fitting some harnesses myself.

·
Registered
9,090 Posts
Take not that this dangerous in an accident du to the rising angle of the belt to the shoulder strap.

Because it's a fair angle off horizontal there's a large vertical component to the tension. If a crash throws you forward, there's a massive amount of force pulling you down by the shoulders and crushing your spine.

If you can't do it properly with a bar, personally I wouldn't do it at all, unless you can use the upper seat belt mounting brackets, they would be perfect.

·
Registered
246 Posts
If you can't do it properly with a bar, personally I wouldn't do it at all, unless you can use the upper seat belt mounting brackets, they would be perfect.[/QUOTE]

+1 :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
you pays your money and you takes you chance...the choice is yours...

I know that I would rather have a set of 3inch wide harnesses on me in the event of a crash on track than the standard belt that is the norm at every trackday.

·
Registered
591 Posts
If those 3" harnesses are set up to compress you in a crash then I'd definitely prefer to take my chances with the factory belt - as said above, proper height harness bar or no harness for me!

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Even well fitted harnesses kill people in crashes. That's why Hans devices are mandatory across almost all Motorsport.

I had a long and interesting discussion some years back with a neuro surgeon who does a fair bit of decent level amateur Motorsport. He was of the opinion that fitting harnesses without a Hans could potentially be more dangerous than wearing a standard seatbelt. Inertial seat belts fitted as standard allow the energy of deceleration in a crash to be dissipated through your torso rather than just your neck and base of skull when wearing just a harness.

It was the reason why I never fitted them to my car.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Depends on the nature of the crash but yeah, constraining your shoulders just leaves your head to whip back and forth in a longitudinal impact and possibly snap some vertebrae if you do it well enough!

That said, I had a 4 point and bucket in my old mx5 daily driver. I rolled that a couple of months back and walked away completely unharmed. I'd have done much worse if I wasn't wearing the harness, but if someone had shunted me at traffic lights it could have been a different story!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts