GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi GT-r fans,

Has ANYONE damaged their turbos/engine doing pops+bangs / Godzilla mode(Ecutek)?

I've had discussions on it, most people are of the idea that it can/will/is damaging turbos/engines etc.. with the heat generated when static doing it, and even when driving and so on.. But I've not heard of anyone who has actually broken something doing it........

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
In before the "Why would you use it", "it's chavvy as hell", "it's not in keeping with the GTR", "it sounds awful" "it blows up your car" crew come along every time pops and bangs is mentioned.

I'd also be interested to hear this, although I don't think there's any question it's definitely not good for the car, particularly this 'Godzilla' mode.

·
Registered
63 Posts
its the extra heat created by the fuel igniting in the exhaust that causes the damage. Usually rear end of turbo bares the brunt of the damage, Cracked housings, cracked/chipped blades etc... but you wont notice this until the turbos die.

If you get them really hot you can also cook the bearing cores leading to early turbo failure.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Now you have the disclaimer out of the way yes it will ultimately **** the turbos up at the very least, the shock from explosion I should think will destroy the bearings/blades in the turbo.

Not only will it cause damage to the turbos people have set fire to various parts of their cars.....

·
Registered
55 Posts
its the extra heat created by the fuel igniting in the exhaust that causes the damage. Usually rear end of turbo bares the brunt of the damage, Cracked housings, cracked/chipped blades etc... but you wont notice this until the turbos die.

If you get them really hot you can also cook the bearing cores leading to early turbo failure.
Something to avoid then. Note taken! :chairshot:chairshot

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
On the plus side, if you're stupid enough to need a button that tells you you're in Godzilla mode, you'll be stupid enough to not realise your turbos are ****ed when they do give up. Ignorance is bliss, as they say.

·
Premium Member
2,531 Posts
guess who tried for pops and bangs while parked up and failed :bawling::bawling:
car was hot, parked up in P, was in 95 map R R R mode. car just wouldn't rev high even had my foot to the floor and held it there. my old evolution 9 was better in launch control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvOMb-5VgBw

never tried it before so no piss taking :D:D

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
guess who tried for pops and bangs while parked up and failed :bawling::bawling:
car was hot, parked up in P, was in 95 map R R R mode. car just wouldn't rev high even had my foot to the floor and held it there. my old evolution 9 was better in launch control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvOMb-5VgBw

never tried it before so no piss taking :D:D
Car has a rev limiter in Neutral at about 4-5k RPM. All the ones you might have seen on youtube have had their limiter removed and will have an aggressive map for their pops and bangs. Got to be honest that was pretty embarrassing ;) I'm not sure what's worse, sitting and doing pops and bangs or failing miserably at them :chuckle:

·
Premium Member
2,531 Posts
Car has a rev limiter in Neutral at about 4-5k RPM. All the ones you might have seen on youtube have had their limiter removed and will have an aggressive map for their pops and bangs. Got to be honest that was pretty embarrassing ;) I'm not sure what's worse, sitting and doing pops and bangs or failing miserably at them :chuckle:
pretty embarrassing??? it was very embarrassing :bawling::bawling:

first time ide ever tried it to be fair, pops and bangs are fine when driving though. only used them a few times.

·
Premium Member
5,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 21 Posts