GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
31,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was under the impression that the R32 GTR could be imported into the states legally form Jan 1st, or am I wrong?

I was expecting ripples and a surge of cars going stateside. Did this not happen for any reason?

·
Registered
871 Posts
Only the 89's can be sent out there since they're 25 years old! The japs are probably getting in first since everyone knows the weather sucks in the UK.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
If I was in the USA there is no way I'd get a potentially rusty old cracker from Blighty over a Jap car.

·
Super Moderator
15,731 Posts
Bit early to say yet I'd say. They're probably still expensive to import, so the market might take a while to warm up.

·
Registered
723 Posts
If I was in the USA there is no way I'd get a potentially rusty old cracker from Blighty over a Jap car.
But if the cars get more expensive in Japan then you'd expect already imported versions in the uk to increase in value :) Doubt many will go UK to US.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
are there many r32 gtrs in Australia ? if so then I'd imagine after Japan is exhausted, then the most dangerous country in the world will be next to export the r32 before us

·
Registered
871 Posts
loads in OZ mate, but they seem slightly more expensive than ours at the moment and seem to have been that way for a while now!

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
still reckon they will be regarded as a safer bet than a uk model but in saying that, there is plenty of top notch uk gtrs, lots locked away in garages etc and I guess rust can be fixed

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
It will eventually increase I think... US will have more demand that is for sure! UK prices have slightly increased too since people from USA are able to import fron the dealers based here in the UK. For example Harlow jap autos export worldwide

·
Premium Member
8,090 Posts
Didn't Matty32 say that NewEra started buying early cars circa this age in preperation for the new market opening up to them in terms of importing GTR's there legally? And had some cars already purchased waiting to go through

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Doesn't the month also count? So you can only buy 89 cars released in Jan in the US, for now anyway... Which is none, as they were first released in August 89 i think.

I'm sure i read that somewhere!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Doesn't the month also count? So you can only buy 89 cars released in Jan in the US, for now anyway... Which is none, as they were first released in August 89 i think.

It's ambiguous; the written law contradicts itself. It ends up being dependent on the individual US Customs agent that is processing the paperwork; some will say year only, some will say year+month.

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,193 Posts

I cannot comment onUS law but certainly my low chassis number car was built in August.

·
Registered
676 Posts
i think most are bought from canada from the start, after that japan. demand in japan gets higher so do the prices and oure prices wil automatically go up to.

·
Registered
624 Posts
A guy brought by, what he claims, is the first legally imported 89 R32, to our shop today.

Paid $18,000 US for it and it's an almost stock car. Had an exhaust and Apexi intake filters. I believe it came out of Canada.

There is a lot of talk, and as one of the few shops around that works on Skylines, several people have come by asking about when they can import one.

Seems most that I've heard of are coming out of Canada, which scares me as the few Canadian cars I've seen have been plagued with rust.

I still believe the quality cars will command a price, but there will be lots of POS' floating around which will give people false hope. Rust free, good condition, low mile cars will be well over $30,000. People seem to be ready and willing to pay for a good car. Parts are too difficult to find or obtain here, so the better car is worth the extra money.

Cory

1 - 20 of 23 Posts