GTR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as i cant find my water leak i think im going to have to look around for prices to fit a head gasket.

anyone got any prices??

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
just paid £250 for a tomie 1.2mm complete set. if thats any help?
although i have seen on ebay an australian dealer selling a 1.2mm metal head gasket set for sale for £130+p&P!!!!! bugger.

·
Registered
318 Posts
as i cant find my water leak i think im going to have to look around for prices to fit a head gasket.

anyone got any prices??
try rising sun in alton hampshire. i just had one fitted on mine, they charged me £140 if i remember rightly.
if not they do them on nengun.com for around £100ish if i remember rightly, thats for a tomei or trust ect, but you will have to wait around a month for delivery:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
While the heads off it might be worth having the valve stem seals swapped and the valves lapped in ect... Bit of a skim and crack/pressure check might be worth investing in too, Any place that does it for you should do that anyways.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
try rising sun in alton hampshire. i just had one fitted on mine, they charged me £140 if i remember rightly.
if not they do them on nengun.com for around £100ish if i remember rightly, thats for a tomei or trust ect, but you will have to wait around a month for delivery:thumbsup:
how much did they charge u to fit the gasket?

·
Registered
318 Posts
While the heads off it might be worth having the valve stem seals swapped and the valves lapped in ect... Bit of a skim and crack/pressure check might be worth investing in too, Any place that does it for you should do that anyways.
yer quite right mate, thing is its all so easy to just have this and that done while the engines out aint it!!!! thats what i kept gettin told by my tunner!!!!
i had a dodgy piston ring (car was smoking) so i had forged pistons and rods fitted and landed up with a bill for like £5k the time i had all the other bits and bobs fitted that they said i should while the engine was in bits!!!
you just have to do these things while your right there tho dont yer!!!!

·
Registered
318 Posts
how much did they charge u to fit the gasket?
because i had new pistons fitted replacing the head gasket it was easy so they just done it along the way. really not to sure what they would charge to just do a head gasket change. its something that you need to really think about tho.
if you replace the standard head gasket for a steel one you obviously will be increasing you turbo boost....... think of the extra work load your standard pisons ect will be under..... maybe save some more money and go for a forged rebuild..... you will save money in the long run:wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
unfortunatley money plays a big factor and cannot afford to put 5k into my engine, not worth it to me. i would if i had it but i dont. its just cost me 2k for a set of turbos, gearbox and fitting!!!

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
I've got a stock RB26 head gasket sitting around doing nothing, brand spanking new. The stock unit is metal and good for 500-600bhp, PM me if you're interested...

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
I bought a Cometic headgasket, from the US, for just over £100 :)

Price for a headgasket change shouldnt be too horriffic, its a good morning's work though - couple of hundred quid on top of the price of the gasket, you're probably looking at £500 all in :(

You'll also want to get a new set of head bolts and cambelt if you havent already...

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I would not do the headgasket just because you cannot find a leak. Get the cooling system checked and pressure tested first.I have never known anyone to get GTR head gasket coolant problems.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
and you needed to buy new turbo,gearbox and you've got a water leak?

i bought it around 4 or 5 months ago, I broke the geabox drag racing with too much nos! (dont think they would warranty that!!)

and I decided to replace the turbos as they were still ceramic ones that are prone to failure.

the water leak has just occured since having the work done!

anyway that doesnt help my problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts