GTR Forum banner

Head Lamp Bulbs £100 ?

759 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  97 GTR VSPEC 
#1 ·
Head Lamp Bulbs £100 ? : :eek:

I've just replaced my second head lamp bulb..............
a little relieved that it only cost £85 + vat = £100, 'cos the first one cost about £135 from Middlehurst's !!!

What's so special about these Xenon bulbs ?
(apart from the price)

Let's see how much they vary in price..........

how much did you pay ?

Who bought the cheapest, and who got well ripped off ?

Look forward to your replies

Chris: :confused:

#2 ·
Bulb prices

Hi Chris,

I had to buy a new headlight bulb for my R33 GTS a couple of months ago (mine has got the standard headlights not the Xenon ones), I got mine from Halfords of all places, they even list the R33 Skyline in their bulb catalogue, but, wait for this ! do not list what bulb to use for a Skyline if that makes any sense !!!

In the end I whipped one of the bulbs out took it in there with me and just matched it up with the ones on display, exactly the same wattage etc. and I opted for their 'Laser Blue' bulbs and bought a pair for about £11 or £12 quid each, result !

I must say however, that the Xenon bulbs in use on the latter R33's and Xenon headlights in general look absolutely brilliant at night, you can tell them a mile off due to their brilliant blue/white light they produce and they are supposed to project a far better light at night than standard Halogen, I recall an article on them in the past where the light they produce is supposed to be something like 200 to 300% better than standard Halogen, anyone know any more than this ??

I have also been told that the Xenon blubs instead of using a filament in the bulb produse an arc between the two electrodes and ignite the Xenon gas within the bulb, kinda like street lighting really, hence they flicker then get brighter slowly when you first switch them on.

Still £100 quid each is a bit steep in my book !!! I still want them though when someone buy's my GTS and I purchase my GT-R very soon !

Hope this helps a bit.

Shaun.

#3 ·
Light Bulbs

Thanks Shaun

You're right, these Xenon bulbs are very bright, and a lot better than the earlier R33's. Think I'll get a £12 spare.

My first one was fitted by a mechanic at Middlehurst's, so they were responsible if he broke it.

The second, I had to fit myself, and it wasn't easy with my head sweating and my hands shaking.
First, removal of the filters was required to get to the back of the headlamp, then try to figure out how the back plate comes off, then try to get the old bulb out.............it broke !

I practiced for half an hour with the old bulb before attempting fitting the expensive new one.

Phew.......the sense of fulfilment.........
or should I say 'full filament' :smokin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.