GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started doing the head today and what a tricky job it is to remove the turbos! Still I have started so will finish.

Couple of questions,

How do you get to the rear water pipe going into the turbo?

Also there are two oil lines going into each turbo I guess both these need to be removed before the turbos with the manifolds can be pushed away from the head... or do I need to remove the turbos from the manifold as well? Downpipe is already off.

Also when taking off the heat shields, 2 of 3 bolts snapped inside the manifold.. is that normal? I guess the shield is needed when I finally put everything back?

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Man this not a fun job but take your time you will get there, cant remember steps i took to remove turbos, thers a how to on the other owners site very helpfull

·
Registered
107 Posts
There is a sub-assembly bolted onto the turbo, which connects the fittings at the rear of it. It feeds back to those 2 "oil pipes" you spotted. Except the larger one of them is a water pipe.

To get the turbos out without taking off the head, you have to remove the turbo from the manifold. YMMV.

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So in other words, if I undo the 4 turbo to manifold bolts for both tubros the head can be removed with out removing any of the oil and water feeds?

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
this is a perfect time to get rid of all that junk and fit a single top mount ;)

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
this is a perfect time to get rid of all that junk and fit a single top mount ;)
I have to admit the single sounds pretty good, but I still prefer a twin setup. Money and damage permitting and once I get the head off I may just put an order in for -5's and some Mines elbows.

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
tell me about it I got to get out of bed in a bit and start on it.. Lucky the weather is good. :)

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Haha really? I couldn't get the rear water pipe off what a bitch of a job to do with the engine still in. I took the turbos off the manifold in the end.

I will be putting some new -5 turbos and elbows in as I don't want to be doing this again anytime soon.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
They're easy and my hands are huge lol... You did remove the front turbo first as it frees a huge space for spanners etc

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Also did you remove the water feed pipes from along side the cam cover ? This also leaves room to get spanners in

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah those ones are removed but the one that links the front to the rear the rear will not come off.

Can these all be removed and replaced with braided lines?

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
That's easy as long as the bolts are warm they will crack open once you crack open the oil and water banjo feeds and the large water pipe you just remove the banjo bolts then remove the 4 manifold to turbo bolts it should just wiggle free then lift out and then manifold bolts are a doddle

1 - 20 of 83 Posts