GTR Forum banner
21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The head will be off in a bit where should I look for the crack as I had oil and water mixing. Also have a steel gasket at the moment - these don't really fail like the normal ones.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The head will be off in a bit where should I look for the crack as I had oil and water mixing. Also have a steel gasket at the moment - these don't really fail like the normal ones.
The crack is likely to be internal. If it is have a word with Ron at RK, he has a fix. He did one for us and it has been fine ever since. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Came off very easily in the end no major dramas. As I thought it had a steel gasket that looked intact so must be a crack in the head. How much did Ron charge you for the head mod? I am not interested in exchange, I want to have the work done to my head.

I checked for straightness and it is straight and all seems good.

Detonation on chamber 6 - some years ago a Denso Iridium tip broke off, I guess that had something to do with the damage seen here.

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Great job can u see any hair line cracks close up
None that I could see, I also looked with a bright micro torch.. where should I bee looking? As Daz pointed out poss between piston 4 and 5 - also when removing the water jacket I did notice more creamy emulsion around that area.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Take some close up pics of the gasket at cylinders 4 & 5 and of the block area too ( closer than you already have )

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Would a cracked head around the oil and water gallery also cause white smoke? thought that would only happen if water gets into the combustion chamber?

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
No that will cause it to mix but if your getting white smoke on start up that's a gasket issue id imagine but if you have white smoke constantly you have another issue

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
For the price of the oil gallery mod is it really worth not doing? Your head might not be cracked but you could do all this and 6 months down the line the head does crack then you have to do it all again.

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I am getting the head pressure tested tomorrow so will hopefully find the crack and get that welded up. Might be but I have looked at the gasket closer today still cannot see where it would have leaked from. Would a Turbo issue cause white smoke on idle?

Dan, yeah I will get the mod done, but I am just trying to understand how this happened as it was fine until just a couple of weeks ago and the car has never overheated and has not been driven in over a year and just a few light runs recently to test the brakes.

Sam, mate its been tough but you know me I like doing things myself ;) . If I had a spare 5k I would go for the bottom end as well.. but having bought a new place I must save for furniture and all the rest of it. So that will have to wait sadly.

Here are some closer pictures:

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
a knackered turbo could cause white smoke and mixing of oil and water in the turbo unit itself.

I cant say ive ever seen it happen myself but im sure its a possibility.

do your turbos seem in good condition ? any signs of major shaftplay or leakage ?

if its going to mix it will be the oil mixing into the water way as theres a lot more oil pressure than water pressure.

can you see a turbo that appears to have a lot of oily residue in the water circuit ?

I did try to warn you in this thread to check everything before you strip it

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/242713-blown-head-gasket.html

it may still be a cracked head but a few tests can help find the issue, I run a fleet of machines and I always spend a lot of time testing faults before I strip an engine as a lot of the time I know the problem before I strip it.

fault diagnosis is the key to all repairs.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
I have just read through your other thread again asking about blown headgasket.

now if your getting smoke at idle and its water if its a cracked head the only way it can get in is through the combustion chamber yet you said the car starts and runs perfect.

if a turbo dumps oil or water in the exhaust it will come straight out of the tail pipe as smoke with no change in the engines running as its happened after the combustion chamber.

the oil in the rad could be attributed to a cracked head letting the oil flow into the water way but it cant cause your smoke issues unless its getting in a cylinder.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I'm pretty sure the oil gallery mod is just to stop the oil and water mixing, was you loosing water? I have found in the times I have had heads pressure tested doesn't allways show if the head is cracked as the crack opens when the head warms up. But that would usually pressure rise the water system any way and blow rad caps/hoses.

To me your head gasket looks pretty good I can not see were the water way has bridged to the cylinder. Have you checked your turbos and exhaust for oil?

21 - 40 of 83 Posts