GTR Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with my headlights on my R33 GTR, when you put the main beam on the dip goes out, what would cause this ?

Cheers

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
All cars keep the sidelights and dip beam on when the main beam is on ?
No, some do. With a skyline you have to hold the high beam stalk half way to get both on.

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
I have a problem with my headlights on my R33 GTR, when you put the main beam on the dip goes out, what would cause this ?

Cheers
it is how they are design to work. r32 is the same. Mod the wiring if it bothers you.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
healights

I fitted hid's and when I 1st fitted them the hid's and main beam stayed on together, the problem a rose when I dipped the main beam and the hid's didn't relight and I had no lights, I flicked the main beam back on and got stopped, but the main beam on it's own is not that good, all you have is concentrated beam but not enough light at the verge and in front of the car. As I said I never seen any car that put the dip off when the main beam was on, some suggested it might be rhe stalk in the car which has went faulty, I have a mate with a R32 I will go and see what his car does.

·
Administrator
31,883 Posts
it's normal. If you fit HID's to the dipped beam then flick on the main beam the HID's will cool down and be extremely dim and blue when you switch back. You'll have to wait for them to warm up. If both elements came on at the same time before it was because something was wired up wrong.

·
Registered
325 Posts
If you've fitted HID's to low beam, you need to also fit a diode to trigger the relay so low stays on with high or you'll have almost no illumination (until things warm up) when switching back from high to low.
Having low stay on with high also allows you to lift your high beams more as the lows will fill in that close stuff nicely.
Of course you should look into fitting extra relays to sort out the dreadful Nissan wiring if you want your dipper switch and light switch to survive.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I used 2screws in the back of my light stalk and 6 years later it's still working perfect making main beam stay on with dipped

1 - 12 of 12 Posts