GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Following EJH#25
6,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever retro fitted Xenon HID lights to their skyline?
I have always thought that the standard units were poor, and never understood why Nissan removed the Xenons from the UK cars?

Anyway, browsing around, I found this >>>

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=724225831

and wondered if anyone has done something similar?
Would like the look of the elipsoid lense better though!

Matt.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Not done it myself as my car is Jap spec and has the Xenons :smokin:

But the reason they are removed is that in order to comply with EU law all HID headlights must have washers to keep them clean!

Retail price for these kits is about £400 for low or high beam kits or ~£700 for one that does both, so at £380 that is a good buy.

A friend has fitted similar kits to his impreza but he runs an electronics company and this kind of thing is very easy for him to fit!

For something a little cheaper, Philips vision plus bulbs work a treat and don't cost the earth! Have a look at Power Bulbs for details...

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
But one thing, is that at night with the Xenons on, it makes the front end of the Skyline look even meaner, so anyone who sees it in their rear view mirror will move out the way!!!:eek:

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
You can fit HID conversion to any car. PIAA and Raybrig do many kits for every type of car, even for hi-beams. They are bloody pricey though!!

·
Registered
662 Posts
A few things to note about HID Kits...

They make HID "bulbs" that retrofit into just about any car, all you have to do is wire in the Ballasts. However they may melt your headlight housing/lenses/reflectors etc... be careful.

Also do not buy crappy HID kits, Philips makes a pretty good kit and it costs about $500 (US Dollars).. Look around in US racing shops.

Now onto the questions :D I do ask a lot of them, don't I :D

Anyone here has "projector" lenses on their R33's headlights? Apart from HIDs, I have seen R33 with projector headlights. Funnily enough I have also seen R32s.. it just seems that projector headlights were forgotten on the 95&96 R33s... Same with HIDs.

BTW I have a "late" '96 R33 Vspec (dual airbags) without HIDs and without projector headlights.... Oh and it was ordered NEW in Japan and Shipped to the UK (private purchase), so it isn't UK spec...

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
GTuned said:

BTW I have a "late" '96 R33 Vspec (dual airbags) without HIDs and without projector headlights.... Oh and it was ordered NEW in Japan and Shipped to the UK (private purchase), so it isn't UK spec...
According to http://www.gtrowner.co.uk it is only the Feb 1997 onwards built cars that had HID's, but if your car is one of those then to pass SVA it had to have the HID's removed anyway, so maybe they weren't put back...

·
Registered
155 Posts
wot

sorry to be so thick but what is a projecter light /...i take it is not the normal halogen lights

·
Registered
662 Posts
Re: wot

N111GTR said:
sorry to be so thick but what is a projecter light /...i take it is not the normal halogen lights
Not at all.. projector healights, are those with a glass lens in front of the bulb - take a look at the R32 GT-Rs and the R34s... Basically (to the best of my understanding) the lens focuses the light beam more accurately than a regular silver reflector...

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
The bulbs for the R32 projector lenses are H3Cs and PIAA are the only people I could find who stock them in Europe. I got some Koito Whitebeam ones from Japan and the lights still weren't very good.

Phil

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
JOY oh JOY!!! just pulled out the broken bulb from one of my projectors, expecting to find an H3C, and the bulb is, infact a common H1 bulb...

A pair of new bulbs are speeding their way over from www.powerbulbs.com :) and as an extra bonus, they are giving away a free set of sidelight bulbs... cant be bad!

very helpful bloke... recommended :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey

just read your quote and you right they`ve left out the 95 and 96 models when it comes to projector headlights.. I have a late 95 GTR and have been looking around for them headlights but no luck, you said you ordered them from Japan could you please hook me up with the contacts so I can get myself a pair and if you don`t mind me asking how much dyu get them for..

·
Registered
8 Posts
thanks loads didn`t even look at the date of the thread.. but thanks again, just got the car a few months back and looking for parts for it.. got it from someone who didn`t pamper the car that much..

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Matt had made a set of projector lens for his car, they looked wicked, better than the originals, Bi Xenons iirc.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Since the thread is here, I may as well take advantage of it to ask what the differences are between the full HID kits, and the bulbs?(In terms of results)
I can't really stretch to a kit just now, can anyone reccomend good bulbs for a 32GTSt? Can't see owt in the dark with the standard setup.

·
Following EJH#25
6,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Matt had made a set of projector lens for his car, they looked wicked, better than the originals, Bi Xenons iirc.
Not sure about looking better Pupsi as I never made shrouds for them but liked the results I got. They are extremely bright and simply awesome on Hi/Full beam!

I recently converted the UK headlights to have the correct Sidelights;

UK Headlights with no sidelights - UK models had sidelights in the front bumper;

Nissan single Xenons with my Twin Bi-Xenon conversion;

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi

Just out of curiosity - do you guys have any problems due the fact that imported cars don´t have E-markings on head light lenses? Are for example R32 GT-R lights e-compliance as they are? Sorry about the silly question but i did try search first. I´ll get mi coat.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
I had to do the same to my headlights after fitting the Do Luck front bumper[sidelights] Matt if you dont think your lights look wicked, how about throwing them my way?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts