GTR Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A central part of Summer Skyline Syndrome, especially for us urban dwellers, is heat soak. With the car not moving in traffic, 30+ degrees outside and the A/C on full blast, under hood temps get quite hot and everything must get scorching hot as well.

A problem with hot summers is a very lean idle. At first I thought it was the intake air temp sensor, but relocating it out of the engine bay has had limited effect. Now it occurs to me - if the MAFs are very hot and thoroughly heat soaked, would it not be possible for the hot wire element to read incorrectly at low airflows, such as at idle? Any hot wire AFM must be temperature calibrated, but I can't help but thinking that there's a limit, and Skylines can run up against that limit - where a light airflow such as an idle would fail to heat the hot wire enough (at least in proportion to the air flowing) as the sensor assembly is already heat soaked to an inch of its life, so the AFM would think less air than is coming in, and underinject and cause a lean idle?

With greater airflow, this isn't a problem, but summertime idle can be frustrating! Any thoughts on my theory of heat soak to sensors like the AFMs throwing things off and contributing to Summer Skyline Syndrome?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts